•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CCD Camer Control Software ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Datil. NM

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

I've been away from imaging for awhile.

I have an FLI camera, CFW, etc. that I used to run with Maxim 4. Worked fine then and still does.

All my software/hardware is from the 2000-2010 era.

I'm also acquiring other camera stuff from the same period.

The trend, it seems, is away from dedicated astro cameras (ccd) and more toward using DSLRs and CMOS cameras.

The software sellers like Maxim are following this trend and I can't blame them for that.

What I can blame them for is turning their backs on people who have paid and supported them over the years and now are not even allowed to read threads on their forums without paying them. I could understand it if they were offering improvements to their software that you use, but why buy upgrades for equipment/software you can't use?

Also, now software manufactures have gone to renting you their software instead of selling you their software, which really bugs me.

Ok I'll quit ranting now.

The question is.....

Who is producing camera control software that will control my vintage cameras that will sell it to me?

Thanks

Greg

#2 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

You can give the native FLI driver in NINA a shot to see if it works. I honestly have no idea if the FLI-provided software it leans on under the hood will work with pre-MicroLine/ProLine cameras, which I presume is your case? Chances are slim if it's non-USB. What model is your camera by the way? NINA is free, so you'll know pretty quickly if it's going to work out or not without having to financially commit to anything. NINA can also drive FLI CFWs, assuming your CFW is no different from what FLI sells today.

Edited by dghent, 29 September 2020 - 09:04 AM.

#3 Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:17 AM

My FLI gear is a FLI IMG 6303e camera and CFW.

I am buying an Apogee Alta camera and hopefully I can acquire the necessary drivers for the version of Maxim I have (4.something) to run it as well.

I had an ad up to try to find an upgrade to Maxim 5.something from my version, but had no bites.

Tried SGpro and there was a glitch in it when trying to operate the FLI system and I have recently gotten an email saying they would no longer be selling it outright and have gone to renting it to customers.

I guess I can understand all these folk's business decisions as we all have to eat, but it's disappointing to spend money and then thrown under the bus because you don't spend even more money.

G

#4 Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:02 AM

You can give the native FLI driver in NINA a shot to see if it works. I honestly have no idea if the FLI-provided software it leans on under the hood will work with pre-MicroLine/ProLine cameras, which I presume is your case? Chances are slim if it's non-USB. What model is your camera by the way? NINA is free, so you'll know pretty quickly if it's going to work out or not without having to financially commit to anything. NINA can also drive FLI CFWs, assuming your CFW is no different from what FLI sells today.

I use Kubuntu (currently 18.04) as my everyday computer operating system.

I have seen postings about NINA and have thought I might want to try it, but I'm not a real good Linux person and often times have to ask many questions about stuff that is probably simple to a lot of people.

#5 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

Ok, well NINA won't help you there because it's Windows-only. No guarantees that it (or any other app, like SGPro or MaximDL) would run under WINE or other Windows emulation, especially because of the hardware access and COM requirements of your typical Windows astro app.

I just looked at the INDI project's code repository and see that INDI has a driver for Apogee cameras, so you might be able to get by on Linux by using Ekos, which is a part of KDE and hence a part of Kubuntu. Perhaps a convenient coincidence for you. Ekos, via INDI, also supports FLI cameras but it's still an unknown if your IMG series would be understood due to its age.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics