•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Double Cluster (NGC 884)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SeanStaresatStars

SeanStaresatStars

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

Started today at 2am to make a crack at a few new targets. M42 was the ultimate goal for the day after sort of seeing it in a spotter scope a week ago, couldn't wait to get the Dob on it, I have a sketch of it, but CN is telling me the file size is too big. 

Bortle 6 skies, T-4, S-3. 10" f/4.7 dob. Sketched on white paper with graphite, scanned and color inverted. 

NGC 884 (C14): The Double Cluster. Viewed with an ES68 14mm Eyepiece. Took awhile over two attempts to get the spacing better. Many many stars of a range of brightness over the two fairly compact clusters. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Double Cluster.jpg

• Magellanico, frank5817, Jef De Wit and 7 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 29 September 2020 - 08:52 AM

Sean,

Fine sketch of The Double Cluster (NGC 884) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

Tom

• SeanStaresatStars likes this

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• Loc: Hove, Belgium (51°N 4°E)

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:09 AM

This is a fine sketch! The cluster on the left is NGC 884, the cluster on the right is NGC 869.

• chrysalis and SeanStaresatStars like this

#4 SeanStaresatStars

SeanStaresatStars

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

This is a fine sketch! The cluster on the left is NGC 884, the cluster on the right is NGC 869.

Thanks for the clarification! My source had them both listed under 884. 

#5 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:19 AM

Very great job on this cluster. Seems like it is a tough one to get and you captured it nicely!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#6 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

Sean,

Nice work on the Double Cluster, a notoriously busy section to sketch and get right. Well done.

Cindy

#7 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 30 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

Started today at 2am to make a crack at a few new targets. M42 was the ultimate goal for the day after sort of seeing it in a spotter scope a week ago, couldn't wait to get the Dob on it, I have a sketch of it, but CN is telling me the file size is too big. 

Bortle 6 skies, T-4, S-3. 10" f/4.7 dob. Sketched on white paper with graphite, scanned and color inverted. 

NGC 884 (C14): The Double Cluster. Viewed with an ES68 14mm Eyepiece. Took awhile over two attempts to get the spacing better. Many many stars of a range of brightness over the two fairly compact clusters. 

Very nice !  You guys are going to get me back into sketching yet  :)

BTW, don't let the file size thing stop you from posting your work.  Open the picture file in MS Paint, then click on the resize button and enter a value of less than 100% in the hor/vert boxes to reduce files size. You don't lose much detail at all when going as low as 50%.  Can be repeated until you get below the CN 500kB limit.  Then save the result to a new filename, i simply use the orig name followed by 'sz'

CS

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics