•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polemaster & ASI 120MM guide camera losing frames on Win 10 - Solved

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MirkoV69

MirkoV69

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

Hello 

I create this post to share some findings.

Recently I experienced the issue of Polemaster  losing frames and and freezing

Oddly enough I saw the same happening on my guide camera (ASI 120 Mini clone by Omegon) 

The trick of playing video in background helped with the Polemaster but not with the guide camera

Just by google search I see I am not alone with those problems

I have this problem since a few months with my laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon , Core I7 16GB RAM , devices connected to USB 3 Ports)

If I use my mini PC I never see the behaviour (same cables, same setup, same drivers, same Win10Pro version)

So I spent a couple of days testing , installing, reinstalling, using utilities in order to isolate the problem

in one of those tests I noticed that if you go to Device Manager and disable:

• Microsoft AC Adapter and
  • Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Contro Method Battery

the camera starts to work better losing less frames (easy to check with ASI Studio) 

I suspect some changes were made in the latest updates of Windows 10 in regard to USB2/3 and power management on laptops

Somehow Win10 understands its running on a laptop and manages the power on USB ports

Then I completely solved the problem with NO FRAMES LOST by connecting to a USB type C Hub 

I conclude type C ports are managed differently in regards to power management in Win10 on laptops

Maybe somebody with better knowledge of Win10 may explain this behaviour or can find some setting to trick the laptop into thinking it is a desktop.

Hope this may help 

best regards

Mirko

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG
  • IMG_20200929_155229.jpg

Edited by MirkoV69, 29 September 2020 - 09:05 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:28 AM

Mirco,

I don't use this particular set of equipment, but I have to hand it to you... You have done some fantastic detective work in solving the case. Hat's off to you. bow.gif

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 29 September 2020 - 09:29 AM.

• MirkoV69 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics