•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pondering the APEX reducer/flattener fore wider field imaging.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:58 PM

Well, particularly for my 85mm refractor, which has an .80 reducer/flattener, dropping me down to a focal length of 432 from 532 not only would boost imaging time, but also might negate the need for my desire to acquire a wide field instrument. But at $500, is it really worth it?  I know money in this hobby is hard to gauge, like, it's a hobby so it is worth it if it ends up being used more.   But I am not even sure how well it will mate with my current optical train, and whether previous users of the APEX have reported good results.

#2 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:12 AM

I use the apex-l version with great success. The only issue with the apex is its 48mm. Would be nice if it was a little bigger for larger sensors but oh well. With apsc there is a bit of vignette but it calibrated out.

How it pairs with each scope really depends on. The scope. I paid 300 initially for a fr that didn’t work too well so 400 for one that works great and didn’t mean another scope in my inventory is ok.
  • Ballyhoo likes this

#3 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:32 PM

I use the apex-l version with great success. The only issue with the apex is its 48mm. Would be nice if it was a little bigger for larger sensors but oh well. With apsc there is a bit of vignette but it calibrated out.

How it pairs with each scope really depends on. The scope. I paid 300 initially for a fr that didn’t work too well so 400 for one that works great and didn’t mean another scope in my inventory is ok.

Dean told me they were working on a FF version, could be a while.

• Jim Waters, RossW and sn2006gy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics