•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mallincam VSS+ Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:28 AM

Somebody donated a Mallincam VSS+ to our club. I got it working, focused, and such. But I cannot see how to control the brightness. I am overexposing everything. 

I use a framegrabber to connect to SharpCap. Sharpcap picks it right up. Get it going, can focus (kinda--as well as can be on the edge of the moon). But, all detail is blown out. I started to get a decent image of Saturn as it went behind some trees and was therefore substantially dimmed. 

So, my questions----

Can I run it with Sharpcap. If so, how do I control the exposure. I tried the brightness, sharpness, contrast,  etc. sliders, and poked around the "Video Amp" and other tabs. But I could not figure it out.  

If I cannot run it with SharpCap, what software do I need to control the camera exposure?

I have not figured out what the controls on the camera itself do (except putting in the titles!). 

Alex

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

Alex,

Most VSS owners usually controlled their cameras via the exposure control knob and the OSD menu through a simple remote hand box. But If you have the appropriate RS232 or 485 serial cable in the AUX connector and USB-serial adapter on your PC I believe you can use the Mallincam Control software (the Stephen Lalonde stuff for the Xtreme and X2) to control the basic functions of the VSS cameras. Download it from Mallincam.net in the Support/Software downloads. 

SharpCap has no idea about the camera, it only sees the USB frame grabber attached to the video out from the camera and it's that frame grabber that you are manipulating with the image controls.

I'd also have a look at this quick overview of connectivity options for the various Mallincam video cameras.

https://www.mallinca...nstructions.pdf

Edited by mclewis1, 30 September 2020 - 09:18 AM.

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

Okay, that tells me that I can quit looking in SharpCap.

And I need to break out the other cables. 

And that the one recommendation I had, about the "Universe" software is probably not right. I need the "Extreme" software. 

Alex

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:59 AM

Okay, got it to work. And, once I configured the camera correctly using the Extreme software, I was able to run completely from SharpCap. Even turned off the Extreme software, and Sharp Cap went on happily. 

Did not get great pictures. But as a first time getting it to work, it was okay!!!

Mars and the moon. 

ALex

• mclewis1 likes this

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:01 PM

Alex, That pretty much mirrors my experience. I usually setup the camera (in my case an Xtreme) then depending on the conditions settled on an exposure setting ... and then just manipulating the image settings in SC.

If I was going after a much different object (something really faint for example) I would go back to the control software and extend the exposure but I usually tried to select groups of similar objects before moving on to something quite different.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics