•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter NTrZ Storm Quite Visible at 300x 2020-09-30

dslr Maksutov planet observing report
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:53 AM

The GoTo on my mount has died. So in spite of the sky clearing by dusk, I only reluctantly set up—it was the good seeing prediction that compelled me. The sidereal track still works fine, so I took a peek at Jupiter. At dusk, the seeing was good, and there was a white NTrZ emerging from the terminator. By nightfall, the seeing was excellent, and one of the bright white storms in the NTrZ was prominently on the meridian. So I couldn't help but grab a snapshot (about 30 minutes ago):

001_488ppAd.jpg

Skywatcher 180 Mak, Fujiyama 12.5mm orthoscopic, Canon 600D/T3i

Oval BA was lurking on the terminator, so I didn't notice it through the eyepiece—but at least it provides an orientation reference for the storm.

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 30 September 2020 - 06:14 AM.

• Thomas Ashcraft, chuckles and Peter Besenbruch like this

#2 chuckles

chuckles

Explorer 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 30 September 2020 - 07:16 AM

Nice pic! Ive not yet seen this sperm looking storm. We should have good weather for the next week, so I’ll give it a shot in the next couple days. Does it show as bright white or more muted through the eyepiece?

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

Nice pic! Ive not yet seen this sperm looking storm. We should have good weather for the next week, so I’ll give it a shot in the next couple days. Does it show as bright white or more muted through the eyepiece?

Thanks! It's bright white, but with a little less contrast through the eyepiece.

BQ

#4 jodemur

jodemur

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: mid. east., Michigan, USA--Bortle 4.5 skies

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the Photo and comments. I have seen these white anomalies in, about, this location before but not recently. Are they common?; sperm storms. That's interesting. It does have that general shape. 

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

I've only been imaging Jupiter since 2015, and this is the first time I've seen them. David Hamilton (dhammy) over in Solar System Imaging claimed these come periodically every several years, but these are early. The first outbreak started in late August, and I tracked three of them through the first half of September (until I lost them to cloud cover). They created quite the mess in the NEB, particularly on the meridian opposite the GRS.

I just imaged the opposite side of the planet this evening. Things look more quiescent on that side.

002_488ppAd.jpg

Cheers,

BQ

• jeffmac and jodemur like this

#6 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:44 PM

Yes, I noticed the almost snake-like dark grey "mess" in the NTB on 10/2/20 through my 4" apo. This feature was bordering the lower part of the NTB. There were also detached looking patches above the NTB. The contrast between the color of the "snake" and the rest of the belt was very striking. Not just the typical grey barges and festoons that are usually visible. You're right. Along with the GRS, this side of the planet was quite a sight.

#7 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:04 AM

Nice!

Unfortunately, it's been clouds and rain over the Red Centre…

BQ

#8 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

Nice!

Unfortunately, it's been clouds and rain over the Red Centre…

BQ

There's always tomorrow. smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics