•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI174 vs ASI174mini?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryanha

ryanha

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

I am ordering a 174mm mini for use as a guidescope for my SCT8 (Celestron SCT 8 + Celestron .63 focal reducer + Celestron OAG + ZWO filter wheel + ASI294mono)

But now I am wondering if instead I should get the 174mm standard (non-mini) so I can dual use it for planetary.

Is there any reason that I could not use the standard (non-mini) as my guide scope?  (e.g will I be unable to achieve focus since the sensor won't go into the oag guide hole ?)

Other than USB3 are there any other diffs between the 174 and the 174 mini?

With a planet-size ROI, will the 174 mini do a reasonable FPS over usb2.0?

Thanks,

--Ryan

#2 astronautgenius

astronautgenius

Vostok 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

I've had occasional issues with using my ASI224MC (non-mini) as a guide cam with my OAG and Edge11HD.  Due to the USB port on the camera being on the side, rather than the back, this causes the cable to stick out too far to clear the rear cell in certain positions when trying to find a guide star. This could potentially be solved with a specialty right-angle USB cable, however. YMMV, but I've been thinking of switching to a 174 mini for my OAG just to simplify things (and gain the wider FOV for guide stars, of course).

#3 ryanha

ryanha

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

I've had occasional issues with using my ASI224MC (non-mini) as a guide cam with my OAG and Edge11HD.  Due to the USB port on the camera being on the side, rather than the back, this causes the cable to stick out too far to clear the rear cell in certain positions when trying to find a guide star. This could potentially be solved with a specialty right-angle USB cable, however. YMMV, but I've been thinking of switching to a 174 mini for my OAG just to simplify things (and gain the wider FOV for guide stars, of course).

Which OAG do you use?

For your imaging train, how far is your guide camera from the prism?

I ask because my concern has been that I would not be able to get the standard 174mm chip close enough to the prism for focus, but I am not sure b/c my imaging camera will be pretty far back so I might be ok.

Any chance you have a picture of your imaging train setup that you can share?

--Ryan

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

The MC version is USB 3 and will give you a higher frame rate for planetary than the mini version which is USB2. That may also be consideration in addition to the shape and size issues mentioned previously. 

Rgrds-Ross 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics