I'm a total beginner with GEMs and this is my first mount - a used Atlas EQ-G. It worked great the very first time I used it but since then has been throwing up a very consistent error. So I am hoping this means it can be easily fixed. Please help!
It has been slewing to alignment stars incorrectly - stopping ~15 degrees off to the right of the star in the Dec axis. Every time. Doesn't matter which star I pick.
I've tried suggestions I saw on earlier posts - hand slewing to the 1st alignment star, then returning to the home position, turning the mount off and starting again. I set it to go back to the 1st star that I had hand aligned to, but its off again by 15 degrees! I also tried using the HC buttons to center it. After this - on the 2nd and 3rd stars it was off by 15 degrees again. I centered them using the HC and it accepted the alignment. Then I tried slewing to Jupiter and the moon - and it was off by 15 degrees on both objects.
The strange thing is it did the 3 star alignment almost perfectly the first time I used it - the alignment stars were within the eyepiece! But since that first time (sigh), very strangely, it's been giving me this consistent error.
Am I setting it up wrong?
1. Level mount using the bubble-spirit level
2. Polar align (I try to do my best here - adjusting the angle based on the Polar Clock app)
3. Add weights, then OTA and check balance on both axes.
4. Check polar alignment again
5. Enter Lat., Long, Date and time correctly.
6. Align OTA towards polar axis. Set home position.
7. Begin 3 start alignment..