•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tube rings too tight

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:50 PM

Recently I purchased a 6in f/6 Newtonian OTA from Agena Astro. The tube rings are so incredibly tight that I cannot rotate the tube within them. In fact, when I set the tube into the rings, it sits on top with a noticeable gap (see photo). I contacted Agena and they said that this is the way the rings are supposed to be that you have to remove the tube in order to rotate it. I don't know why they would have it this way but they do. Is there anything I can do to remedy this or should I just buy other rings or just adjust to this situation? they would fit properly or do I just need to buy larger rings? The OTA diameter is about 172mm.

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20200930_211357.jpg

#2 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:08 PM

I have a 150mm, f/6 Newtonian. It's a TS Optics (GSO SVD series). Agena sell the same scope I believe but branded as GSO. 

med_gallery_249298_5348_110086.jpg

The rings on mine don't appear to be like yours, although the OTA isn't easy to rotate. Quite a few GSO Newtonians suffer from tight rings I believe.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 30 September 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:18 PM

Charles:

That's not right. You should not have to remove the tube to rotate it. 

Have you considered returning it?

How thick is the felt?

Jon

#4 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:23 PM

I have the same scope, and the rings were tight too. Not like in the photo though.

I stripped off the felt, and put a single layer of blue masking tape lining the rings, and waxed the

tape. Now I can rotate the tube pretty easily.

On another thread, someone said they bent the rings slightly wider. However, being cast aluminum,

there is a thin line between bending and breaking.

#5 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

Charles:

That's not right. You should not have to remove the tube to rotate it. 

Have you considered returning it?

How thick is the felt?

Jon

The felt is No more than a millimetter, maybe two but I doubt it. 

#6 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:31 PM

I have the same scope, and the rings were tight too. Not like in the photo though.

I stripped off the felt, and put a single layer of blue masking tape lining the rings, and waxed the

tape. Now I can rotate the tube pretty easily.

On another thread, someone said they bent the rings slightly wider. However, being cast aluminum,

there is a thin line between bending and breaking.

Someone else mentioned doing that as well.  if it doesn't work, I'm going to have to buy other Rings anyway. They did offer me a full refund but then I'll have to find another scope and it doesn't make sense because I bought it specifically because it was a 6in that wasn't an f/5. Orion from where I got the amount, has a set of 178mm ID rings. I'm wondering if those will work without being too loose. 

#7 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:42 PM

It may be you have the wrong rings for the OTA.

https://agenaastro.c...176mm-6-93.html

I don't know if these are for 150mm GSO Newtonians.

#8 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:01 PM

Shorty Barlow, on 30 Sept 2020 - 10:42 PM, said:

It may be you have the wrong rings for the OTA.

https://agenaastro.c...176mm-6-93.html

I don't know if these are for 150mm GSO Newtonians.

Since you posted that, I emailed them and they have responded and I asked if I could exchange the rings that you mentioned for the Rings I have and they said that the Rings I have are the same ones that you mentioned. So I don't know what the hell's going on boss apparently the rings that they put on their Scopes are not supposed to be loose in any way shape or form. ???
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:25 PM

Since you posted that, I emailed them and they have responded and I asked if I could exchange the rings that you mentioned for the Rings I have and they said that the Rings I have are the same ones that you mentioned. So I don't know what the hell's going on boss apparently the rings that they put on their Scopes are not supposed to be loose in any way shape or form. ???

Can you post a full view of the tube in relation to the rings, and from a farther distance away?  

I have a "dreaded" 6" f/5 myself...

6 f5e.jpg

But that's a Synta product; no trouble with the rings, yet yours came with a much nicer, metal focusser.  Had I to do all over again, I probably would've gone with a 6" f/8 "Dobsonian", a Sky-Watcher; hindsight is indeed 20/20.

I've had very little trouble with tube-rings, and most of my telescopes are entry-level, beginner-grade.

#10 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:38 PM

I have a standard 6 inch Synta dob which i mount on an eq5. The Synta rings for this scope are 180mm internal diameter for this ota. A little larger than the GSO, but could be made to work.

#11 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:07 AM

Can you post a full view of the tube in relation to the rings, and from a farther distance away?  

I have a "dreaded" 6" f/5 myself...

attachicon.gif6 f5e.jpg

But that's a Synta product; no trouble with the rings, yet yours came with a much nicer, metal focusser.  Had I to do all over again, I probably would've gone with a 6" f/8 "Dobsonian", a Sky-Watcher; hindsight is indeed 20/20.

I've had very little trouble with tube-rings, and most of my telescopes are entry-level, beginner-grade.

I'm currently at work (2am CT) so I don't have access to the scope right now. I will tomorrow morning and I will take wide shot photos of the whole thing. Whether I can post them or not I don't know since they live at you to 500k it's hard to get them that small but I'll see what I can do. They'll be on here I say 8 a.m. Central Time

#12 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:10 AM

I'm going to do a very accurate measure of the diameter by using the curcumference of the tube, then do similar work on the rings. Then I'll see what rings I need if anything. 

#13 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:11 AM

I'm currently at work (2am CT) so I don't have access to the scope right now. I will tomorrow morning and I will take wide shot photos of the whole thing. Whether I can post them or not I don't know since they live at you to 500k it's hard to get them that small but I'll see what I can do. They'll be on here I say 8 a.m. Central Time

If your computer time is spent solely on a "smartphone", then I can see the difficulty.  I'm on a desktop, and I have a laptop as well.  Both have paint-programs that allow for re-sizing images.  I do not own a "smartphone" myself, as I came to despise telephones in general during my last employment.

#14 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

I have a conouter at home. I just dont at work.

#15 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

I make mine 19cm external diameter and 17.5cm internal diameter.

med_gallery_249298_5348_138057.jpg

I'm not including the felt lining.

med_gallery_249298_5348_159126.jpg

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 01 October 2020 - 09:17 AM.

#16 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:53 AM

I measured the tube circumference and did the math. I, then, outlined the rings and both measurrments were within half a millimeter of each other. No wonder they're so tight. Tube diameter comes out to 176.67mm. The Orion rings that are in stock have an inside diameter of 182mm, so those should work fine. I should be ordering them tomorrow.

Edited by cpsTN, 01 October 2020 - 09:59 AM.

#17 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:28 AM

I measured the tube circumference and did the math. I, then, outlined the rings and both measurrments were within half a millimeter of each other. No wonder they're so tight. Tube diameter comes out to 176.67mm. The Orion rings that are in stock have an inside diameter of 182mm, so those should work fine. I should be ordering them tomorrow.

I have a set of those rings, from a Celestron Omni (Synta) 150mm f/5, they look the same as the Orion rings (but are painted white). The problem is they will not tighten on the GSO tube at all - I just tried it. They will need either thicker felt or another layer. My concern would be a thick layer of felt would compress over time and become loose.

I'm going to try putting on a layer of cork, then felt over the cork.

Edited by EJN, 01 October 2020 - 10:30 AM.

#18 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

Recently I purchased a 6in f/6 Newtonian OTA from Agena Astro. The tube rings are so incredibly tight that I cannot rotate the tube within them. In fact, when I set the tube into the rings, it sits on top with a noticeable gap (see photo). I contacted Agena and they said that this is the way the rings are supposed to be that you have to remove the tube in order to rotate it. I don't know why they would have it this way but they do. Is there anything I can do to remedy this or should I just buy other rings or just adjust to this situation? they would fit properly or do I just need to buy larger rings? The OTA diameter is about 172mm.

Why don’t you give us a full pic of the scope sitting in the ringings to get the full perspective of the situation ? This partial doesn’t do it for me, kind of unbelievable at this point !

#19 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:09 PM

I have a set of those rings, from a Celestron Omni (Synta) 150mm f/5, they look the same as the Orion rings (but are painted white). The problem is they will not tighten on the GSO tube at all - I just tried it. They will need either thicker felt or another layer. My concern would be a thick layer of felt would compress over time and become loose.

I'm going to try putting on a layer of cork, then felt over the cork.

Just keep monitoring it, if / when it compresses then address it, it won’t be a sudden compression, it will be gradual if at all. After the scope is seated properly and tightened down why would it compress much more ?

#20 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:02 PM

I hope it all works out. 

#21 Bistromath

Bistromath

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Minnesota, USA

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:44 PM

Ed Ting mentions the issue with the rings on this scope in his YouTube video:  https://www.youtube....h?v=2owlm_8zaOc

The only solution he provides is to open both rings slightly to rotate the tube.  Not ideal.

Sorry that I can't offer any sage wisdom to resolve your issue.

• Shorty Barlow likes this

#22 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:07 PM

Ed Ting mentions the issue with the rings on this scope in his YouTube video:  https://www.youtube....h?v=2owlm_8zaOc

The only solution he provides is to open both rings slightly to rotate the tube.  Not ideal.

When I want to rotate my 6-7 refractors thats what I do, open them up very slightly, thats all it takes ! How can the scope fall out, it is still well secure in the rings !

#23 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:20 AM

Open the race finally would be wouldn't be an issue but with this one most of the time you have to open the range completely and that nearly pick up the 222 row said it's against the tube rings are only Nathan a millimeter larger it seems so unless there's a dew everywhere, it's nearly impossible to turn.

#24 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Gemini

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:36 AM

Yeah, Ed's right, I do the same. He's right about the slight focusing issues as well. They're good scopes for the money though. Good mirrors. 

med_gallery_249298_5348_792146.jpg

#25 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:37 AM

I ordered new rings. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics