•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron / Vixen 26mm Silvertop performance question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DARKMATTER

DARKMATTER

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:37 AM

In relation to this archived thread, and this post in particular I want to ask any users views with regard to the optical performance between the various versions. I am interested in which version performs best at the 26mm focal length, I would suspect without any reference that the circle V would be one of the best performing?

Thanks

Simon

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:00 AM

Well, I measured a bunch of old classic eyepieces a few years ago. The old 26mm Celestron is wonderful... and far far better than various University Eyepieces of that era, which had fatal flaws. Here's the coating/throughput report on the Celestron. And, as you infer... The old Celestron even looks like a precision eyepiece... and is.    Tom

~click on the images for bigger rendition~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 78 throughput white paper cover sheet 80.jpg
  • 77 throughput config tom dey.jpg
  • 76 celestron eyepiece throughput report page tom dey.jpg

#3 DARKMATTER

DARKMATTER

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Tomdey, I presume that the one tested is a Circle V? The same or very similar to the 26mm Vixen sold at the time?

Edited by DARKMATTER, 01 October 2020 - 07:13 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics