•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader UFC Storage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LuxTerra

LuxTerra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:12 AM

How are you storing your filter trays while not in use? There’s the 3D printed boxes. I’ve heard of using camera filter cases. Anyone have problems with dew and need to heat the case?

Thanks. 

#2 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

I use a cheap photo-filter pouch. I have there up to 5 filters

Edited by sanbai, 01 October 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#3 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

This is the one I bought (attached picture).

Five filters is a bit too packed, but it works. The depth is ideal. It has a couple of velcros in the back to hold it on your belt. In my case I use that to hang it off the handrail of the celestron evolution mount, very convenient.

Attached Thumbnails

• pouch.jpg

Edited by sanbai, 01 October 2020 - 09:07 PM.

#4 LuxTerra

LuxTerra

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:08 PM

Thank you. That's about what I've seen others use.

Any other solutions out there? Those that 3D printed the Baader STL file holders seem happy with them. Anyone heating their filters for dew prevention?

#5 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:18 AM

Thank you. That's about what I've seen others use.

Any other solutions out there? Those that 3D printed the Baader STL file holders seem happy with them. Anyone heating their filters for dew prevention?

I initially considered the 3D printed boxes. I asked a guy that sells 3D stuff here in CN, and it wasn't cost effective for me. Maybe for those that have a 3D printer available it's easier.

The advantage of the pouch is that it is easier to handle the filters when it's cold, and that I have them all together.  I don't have to mess with different single-filter boxes here and there (I'm only a visual observer). Also, I can directly and quickly put them back in the hanging pouch, instead of having to look for a case while holding the filter or leaving them on a surface.

I don't remember any problem with dew. Maybe they dew a bit during handling if they were stored in a cold place (house with A/C in summer) . Once in the filter slide, they shouldn't get any dew. I'm assuming they are used in closed systems like SCT or refractor.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics