•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flooded 12" LX200

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scomer17

scomer17

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 01 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

My Meade 12" LX200 telescope flooded a few years back. The water level went all the way up to just below the optics (thankfully), but the entire mount motor assembly was damaged and am having trouble finding a way to repair/replace the mount. Does anyone have any instructions or ideas to replace my mount with another electronic one so I can use GPS again?

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

Create a wanted post in the Cloudy Nights classified. See if someone deforked their scope and is willing to sell the mount.

• jim kuhns and scomer17 like this

#3 scomer17

scomer17

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:46 AM

Create a wanted post in the Cloudy Nights classified. See if someone deforked their scope and is willing to sell the mount.

Sounds like a good idea, and will certainly try that.

Are there any third party alternatives I can possibly try as well as a replacement?

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:41 AM

Are there any third party alternatives I can possibly try as well as a replacement?

You are not going to find a fork mount to fit except the one designed for it. If you add a losmandy rail to the scope, there are many equatorial mounts that can handle it.

• radial195 and scomer17 like this

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:21 PM

You are not going to find a fork mount to fit except the one designed for it. If you add a losmandy rail to the scope, there are many equatorial mounts that can handle it.

That was my thought as well: defork your scope and get a new mount.  Both Losmandy and ADM sell radius blocks and dove tail bars for 12" Meade scopes.  Then you can mount your scope on anything you want.  As Jim Davis says, though, you'll likely be in the market for a medium-size German equatorial mount, unless you want to spring for a PlaneWave L-350 or something like that. The EQ6AZ-EQ might handle an M12 for visual...

• scomer17 likes this

#6 EricR

EricR

Viking 1

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:42 PM

You might want to post this question in the "Meade Computerized Telescopes" forum in case someone else has other ideas:

https://www.cloudyni...zed-telescopes/

I know there were places selling "Autostar conversions for Meade LX200 classic telescopes" that came with some of the electronics -- not sure if those places had access to ALL of the electronics though.

Best ideas have already been mentioned:

If you're lucky enough to find a 12" LX200 mount because someone deforked their OTA (...seems like a long shot but possible)

...or

Defork your OTA and put it on a GOTO mount that can handle it like MAYBE Orion Atlas AZ/EQ (Skywatcher AZ-EQ6)

Edited by EricR, 01 October 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• scomer17 likes this

#7 DuncanM

DuncanM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

My Meade 12" LX200 telescope flooded a few years back. The water level went all the way up to just below the optics (thankfully), but the entire mount motor assembly was damaged and am having trouble finding a way to repair/replace the mount. Does anyone have any instructions or ideas to replace my mount with another electronic one so I can use GPS again?

A CEM120 would carry that OTA comfortably. 

• scomer17 likes this

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

Meade sells parts.  You'll need to know what type of LX200 you have (classic, ACF, R...) and then figure out what electronics don't work anymore and buy the boards.  You'll want to buy new RA assembly or at least regrease them (the motor is probably shot and you can't buy the motor seperately.

Cheapest option is to find someone who deforked. Second is to just buy a GEM and make that work. I think I spent close to 1000 on repairing my RCX400... similar problem.

• scomer17 likes this

#9 scomer17

scomer17

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be doing my research and weighing all my options, but all your replies have helped. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics