•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyPortal Failure (2nd Time)

Celestron equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fred72933

fred72933

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Arkansas

Posted 01 October 2020 - 11:21 AM

I bought a WiFi extender so I could use AP mode on my SkyPortal and access the internet at the same time on the laptop from my telescope shed. I fired everything up, started CPWI and accessed the SkyPortal in direct mode. I entered the new router name and password, double checked them and submitted them to the SkyPortal. I got confirmation from CPWI that the info had been received and stored. I switched the SkyPortal to AP and cycled the power, just like CPWI said to. The SkyPortal has disappeared!

It is gone from the router list on both my laptop and my cell phone. I even used a WiFi sniffer and it is just not there. I have tried going back to direct mode and there is just no signal.

My First SkyPortal, a gray body, had a reset on the side opposite the switch. This black body doesn't have a reset button. I have searched the internet and cannot find a way to reset the black. I tried to reset the gray but it still kept the router name and password even after pushing the reset. I can connect to the gray and update the password and router but when I switch to AP mode, CPWI says it cannot get the mount to respond.

I have given up for the day. Had to walk away before I got even madder. I mean, I did exactly what CPWI told me to do and got hammered again.

At $100 a pop, this is getting really old. Other than SkyPortal, what could I use with a CPC and CPWI to control my mount?

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 enigma-2

enigma-2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

My 2 cents fwiw (don't have the skyportal).

Q. What scope are you using the SkyPortal with?

1. Don't see where you are supposed to recycle power after making connection.

2. Have you tried clearing cache on phone app?

3. I'd try unplugging everything, reboot power to clear all settings, the go through process to reestablish connection (no reboot this time, just switch to AP in app).

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

Is it a MESH 802.11ac WiFi extender? I found the cheaper ones unsatisfactory and didn't get any good results until I upgraded to MESH. Even so, I needed two MESH discs in tandem to relay the signal a sufficient distance (about 20 yards also via one brick wall). The signal can fluctuate and drop over quite short distances.

Frankly, I eventually gave up with Celestron WiFi having tried first, second and third generation Evolution and  Skyportal devices. I live in an area of extreme urban Internet WiFi clutter and it struggled to stay connected despite attempting every excellent suggestion in Mike Swanson's Nexstar Resource site armoury (do take a look at that).  It's 2.4Ghz signal is unsatisfactory in such conditions and also prone to interferance from any USB3 devices in close proximity. It works fine at a dark sky site, so it is pretty clear what my issue is, Urban Internet Clutter interferance.

I now put a mini computer at the scope and network that using the same MESH extenders that failed with Sky Portal devices (proving the weakness in my location is Celestron WiFi). I then use another computer to control that over my network using Windows Remote Desktop. This works great, and is highly popular amongst EAA enthusiasts. The joy is that I can now run all software (CPWI, camera etc) on the scope side computer directly connected by reliable (short) USB cable. Even if a (rare) WiFi network disconnect occurs between the two computers,, I usually only need to reconnect them via Windows Remote Desktop. My scope side computer is still running the software fine, and I can simply pick up where I left off. By contrast, if you get a disconnect when using Celestron WiFi reconnecting isn't so easy and dependable as the break is then between mount and control device. Occasional 'dropped data packets" occur in any WiFi situation. The approach I describe is the most reliable DIY way around this. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 01 October 2020 - 03:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics