I'd like to image Mars but I'm set up for DSO. I'd appreciate advice on A) how much improvement (if any) to expect when switching to a longer focal length and/or B) product recommendations for making the switch.
My current DSO setup is Edge 11 -> Moonlite CHL crayford focuser -> OAG -> EFW -> ASI6200 mono = .28" pixel scale @ native f10 2800mm. I have two identical rigs set up this way.
I foresee several issues if I try converting the rig/s to a longer FL.
- Will I have to ditch the filter wheel and/or focuser?
- Which Barlow/Extender to use? I have an ES 2x extender I use for visual but it only accepts eyepieces (no threads).
- How is backfocus affected when using an extender?
- New connections/adapters will be needed
- What other accessories will I need (if any)?
Good seeing usually gives 1.4" FWHM when doing DSO imaging and 1.0" for excellent seeing. Any advice is appreciated.