•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR Pro-Starry Night Equip. Setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:59 PM

Hi all-

I need a little clarity on this setup if anyone can assist.

If I use Starry Night on my iPad will I need a wifi/cable device to connect it to my CGX mount for slew/goto app control?

---OR---

Does Starry Night use your AIR Pro wifi connection to make any goto movements?

Bottom line is I have the AIR Pro and a Celestron CGX mount. If I wanted to use the Starry Night app what would I need to do to make this happen?

I know one of you out there is using this solution so I hope you're reading the forums!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

#2 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gaspe Peninsula

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:33 PM

I've only got the basic Starry Night version that Celestron provides with its GoTo scopes, and I haven't tried any GoTo's with it, although I suppose the "Slew telescope to current gaze" button might accomplish them.

I do know that basic slewing can definitely be done over the ASIAir Pro's wifi. All you would need is a USB 2.0 cable from the ASIAir to your mount's HC or own USB port if it's got one (I'm not familiar with the CGX). You then just set Starry Night to connect to the ASIAir's network, or it's IP address if it's connected to your home network.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

Moving to Astronomy Software & Computers for a better fit.

• Terrybythe sea likes this

#4 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2020 - 02:32 PM

I've only got the basic Starry Night version that Celestron provides with its GoTo scopes, and I haven't tried any GoTo's with it, although I suppose the "Slew telescope to current gaze" button might accomplish them.

I do know that basic slewing can definitely be done over the ASIAir Pro's wifi. All you would need is a USB 2.0 cable from the ASIAir to your mount's HC or own USB port if it's got one (I'm not familiar with the CGX). You then just set Starry Night to connect to the ASIAir's network, or it's IP address if it's connected to your home network.

This might be the answer then. 

I have my CGX connected via USB to the ASIAir now. If you’re saying I can point Starry Night to use my ASIAir’s WiFi network then I should be all set. I would think that using the Goto in ST would work by sending the commands through the Air’s network.

Clear skies tomorrow so I’ll be giving it a go. Thanks for the input. 

#5 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

Clear skies tomorrow so I’ll be giving it a go. Thanks for the input. 

My pleasure. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out.

#6 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:32 AM

My pleasure. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out.

So I tried to get it setup in the house ahead of tonight and I cannot seem to get Starry Night to recognize the ASIAir WIFI. In fact The only thing showing in Communication settings is the settings for SkyFi. I did try to input the ASIAir IP address there but it still cannot locate it. 

In the help section it does say SN can connect to the Celestron mounts via their WIFI accessory but I was hoping to use the ASIAir instead. 

I must be missing something simple...

#7 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:26 PM

I must be missing something simple...

Perhaps not. I just noticed the CGX isn't mentioned in the "Scope Type" section of the configuration panel. Perhaps setting it to one of the other Celestron mount types might do it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics