•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NA and Pelican - First light with a vintage 135mm lens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Al_N

Al_N

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Courtenay, Vancouver Island

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:59 PM

NGC7000 ssmall.jpg

So we finally had some clear skies here on Vancouver Island. The internet tells me that the moon was~95% full when I shot this on 29 Sept. Fortunately, this target was far enough away from the moon to get reasonable contrast with the Ha filter.

Guiding was terrible on this object. I think my ASI290mc guide camera really struggled with the bright sky. I weeded out about a third of subs. Probably should have tossed a few more based on the oblong stars.

Anyway, this is first light on an old Pentax Takumar 135mm f/2.5 that I got from eBay a month or so ago. With the ASI178mm camera, this lens provides a calculated image scale of 3.65"/pixel. Despite my carping in the first couple of paragraphs I'm quite happy with this lens, and the picture. Stars on the left appear rounder than those on the right. We may have a few clear nights next week - I'll try again with darker skies and improved guiding.

Equipment

Camera: ASI178mm uncooled

Lens: Pentax 135mm f/2.5 closed two clicks to f/4

Mount: Celestron Nexstar SE alt-az, homemade equatorial wedge

50mm guide scope

ASI290mc guide camera

SVBONY 7nm H alpha filter

Acquisition

24 x 300 sec light

12 x 300 sec dark

125 flat

125 dark flat

Software/Processing

Sharpcap for polar alignment and acquisition

PHD2 for guiding - Dithered every frame. Due to huge backlash, guiding and dithering is in RA only.

DSS for stacking 2x drizzle applied

Post processing in GIMP

•     stretch
  •     curve adjustment
  •     crop stacking artifacts
  •     layer duplicated and combined using "multiply" option, 80% opacity. **This is something I'm playing with in GIMP. It seems to greatly remove noise from dark areas, but dims the whole image and adds a bit of noise to lighter areas. Sliding the opacity slider really allow you to change the effect. I settled on 80% opacity today.**
  •     stretch
  •     Anisotropic smoothing (noise reduction)

Thanks for looking.

Al

• F.Meiresonne, elmiko, deepwoods1 and 7 others like this

#2 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Galway, Ireland

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:01 AM

That's a really nice image. I also have a few vintage lenses (Pentacon 135mm and the 200mm Takumar) and get great satisfaction out of producing Astro images with them. Keep it up!

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:20 AM

Nice image! 135 mm is a great fl for these larger objects! Have fun with your new lens!

#4 Al_N

Al_N

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Courtenay, Vancouver Island

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

That's a really nice image. I also have a few vintage lenses (Pentacon 135mm and the 200mm Takumar) and get great satisfaction out of producing Astro images with them. Keep it up!

Thanks.

I also bought a 200mm f/4 Takumar that I received last Friday. I'll get a chance to try it out on some smaller targets Monday. Hopefully either the Wizard or Bubble nebula.

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

Excellent shot. I have used an ancient vintage Chinon 135mm f/2.8 and a 7nm H-alpha filter on this and similar targets, and had a lot of fun.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics