•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how to know if focuser is aligned with main axis?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

Hi guys, 

I am trying to fix the tilt in my system (I have another thread going on about this) and someone said I should check the focuser is aligned with the main axis. 

How exactly do I do this? It looks aligned to me but is there a precise method to make sure the focuser is aligned before I start making adjustments to the tilt adjuster?

I have a Meade 70mm f/5 petzval. I did install a Riegel Nstep auto focuser and when I installed the bracket that holds the motor, I had to remove two small screws in the focuser which were replaced with a couple of larger screws in their place (please see image below). I am not sure if this could cause the focuser to fall out of alignment...

Thanks a lot!

focuser

#2 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 01 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

I used a laser collimator that had a barrel to fit in my focuser to center/hold it in the middle. I then made a paper cover for the end of my scope and i folded that paper in half down the middle, opened it up and folded it in half down the other direction and used the center hole to marked by the folds to be where the laser should be. Taped it on the end of my scope.

Turned on the laser and i adjusted my focuser screws until the laser was centered

that was my "DIY" approach :)

sadly, i found out my focuser sagged a bit but at least i got it centered when i replaced the old one with new(er) one.

• georgian82 likes this

#3 georgian82

georgian82

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

I used a laser collimator that had a barrel to fit in my focuser to center/hold it in the middle. I then made a paper cover for the end of my scope and i folded that paper in half down the middle, opened it up and folded it in half down the other direction and used the center hole to marked by the folds to be where the laser should be. Taped it on the end of my scope.

Turned on the laser and i adjusted my focuser screws until the laser was centered

that was my "DIY" approach smile.gif

sadly, i found out my focuser sagged a bit but at least i got it centered when i replaced the old one with new(er) one.

Thanks for the feedback! I will have to try something like this I guess. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics