•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASTRO-TECH AT80ED 3.1" F/7 ED REFRACTOR

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:29 PM

Well just ordered me a ASTRO-TECH AT80ED 3.1" F/7 ED REFRACTOR from our friends at Astronmic this will feel in the gap between my 120mm orion st f/5 and my 127 Orion mak as far as a grab and go scope. From all the review it seem this is one fine scope for the price cant wait to give it a first light as always the folks at Astronmic are great to deal with.

• eros312, Agatha, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:09 PM

Congratulations! I was tempted by the great reviews on that scope, but decided to order an AT72EDii as I will mostly  be using it with a camera for EAA and casual imaging. One advantage of the AT80ED though, is that it is in stock.smile.gif

#3 Chuckles34

Chuckles34

Sputnik

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

I received my AT80ED from Astronomics yesterday.  Packed nicely and shipped quickly.  Fit and finish were excellent.

Took it out under the stars last night and pre-dawn this morning.  Optics were as good or better than my AT72ED.  Nice diffraction rings outside of focus, and a little soft inside of focus (I think I got that right).  I couldn't see any chromatic aberration except on the brightest of objects.  Again, what I'm used to with the FPL-51 glass in my AT72ED.  Nice open cluster and M42 views with 18mm and 25mm Paradigms.  Jupiter and Saturn showed the most detail with a 5mm Paradigm at 112x.  Seeing always a factor.  Took it up to 175x with a 3.2mm Paradigm to split some doubles.  Airy disks.

The only negative I had was the coarse focus was a little notchy in places.  It is a little stiffer at some points in the rotation than others.  I'm hoping it will smooth out from use.  Spoke with Mike at Astronomics this morning about it.  He is short staffed at the moment, but said he would possibly be able to do some testing this weekend to try to replicate and solution.  Fine focus was silky smooth.

In short, scope is a keeper and you really get a lot for $399.

Cheers!

Chuck

• stevew, eros312, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#4 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the input I will report on first light as so as I am able.

#5 sportsmed

sportsmed

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:55 PM

Yea I have been thinking of getting a 80-90mm refractor while I wait to buy the Astro-tech 102ED. I was interested in the AT80mm ED and just looking at it again online. I would love to hear what you think of it when you get to use it, seems like a really nice scope for the price.

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for all the input I will report on first light as so as I am able.

Are you going to primarily use it for visual observing, or some imaging as well?

#7 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:10 AM

No imaging just visual only more of a grab and go scope as I get older I find my interest has gone to smaller scope ones that are easy to use and easy to sit up and take down. As of now my most used scope are my Orion 120st f/5 and my C-6 both great scopes and light weight. 

• Agatha, gene 4181 and BFaucett like this

#8 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2020 - 08:19 PM

Was noticing in the ad photo this scope seem to not a finder scope mount I guess a 80mm f/7 does not need a finder lol.

#9 Chuckles34

Chuckles34

Sputnik

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:23 PM

Would recommend a finderscope or red dot finder unless you are strictly going to go with wide field viewing.  There are mounting holes on the left and right side of the AT80ED focuser to attach mounts.  Astronomics was out of stock when I purchased my AT80ED, but I found them on Agena AstroProducts.  Worked like a charm.

https://agenaastro.c...d-focusers.html

I prefer the smaller 6x30 Orion RACI finderscopes so I don't have to crane my neck, and the light pollution in my area limits the number of naked eye stars needed to use a red dot finder or telrad.

https://www.telescop...2160/p/7211.uts

Cheers!

Chuck

• BFaucett likes this

#10 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

Would recommend a finderscope or red dot finder unless you are strictly going to go with wide field viewing.  There are mounting holes on the left and right side of the AT80ED focuser to attach mounts.  Astronomics was out of stock when I purchased my AT80ED, but I found them on Agena AstroProducts.  Worked like a charm.

https://agenaastro.c...d-focusers.html

I prefer the smaller 6x30 Orion RACI finderscopes so I don't have to crane my neck, and the light pollution in my area limits the number of naked eye stars needed to use a red dot finder or telrad.

https://www.telescop...2160/p/7211.uts

Cheers!

Chuck

Chuck, did the Orion finder stalk fit into the Agena shoe all the way?  

Dom Q.

#11 Chuckles34

Chuckles34

Sputnik

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:20 PM

Chuck, did the Orion finder stalk fit into the Agena shoe all the way?  

Dom Q.

Yes, the shoe is notched and allows the Orion finderscope stalk to slide in all of the way.

Cheers!

Chuck

#12 Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

Vanguard

• Loc: Churchville, NY

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:34 PM

Great choice.  Nothing beats the simplicity and reasonable entry cost of a good 3" refractor.  It wont be your last scope but it will always find use.  I have owned several 80mm refractors and despite their moderate light grasp they showed me TONS of stuff.  They're perfect for general stargazing and learning the sky.  They also excel at open clusters and many other wonderful targets.

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr. Mike, 05 October 2020 - 04:35 PM.

• sportsmed, BFaucett and mtminnesota like this

#13 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:48 PM

Yea that what I will be using this scope for general stargazing the scope should be here tomorrow so hopeful for a first light tomorrow night. 

• Mr. Mike likes this

#14 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:01 PM

Yea that what I will be using this scope for general stargazing the scope should be here tomorrow so hopeful for a first light tomorrow night. 

You will be happy.  I have its triplet brother and I love it.  

Have fun!

JMD

#15 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

Yes, the shoe is notched and allows the Orion finderscope stalk to slide in all of the way.

Cheers!

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck.  

#16 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:05 PM

Well got my scope today a big thank you to astronomics for there fast services placed my order last Friday and they got my scope to me fast. This scope is every thing folks have talk about the fit and finish is top quality this scope looks like some scopes costing several thousand dollars more.  A quick view out side in daylight shows high contrast images of all objects even when using a Meade 5.5mm uwa the views were very sharp, to night if the weather is clear I will do a first light with some views of the three planets and later the moon now I fear I may have to get its larger sibling the 102mm ed scope to keep this one company LOL.  

Edited by George Methvin, 06 October 2020 - 02:00 PM.

• sportsmed, gene 4181, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#17 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

Well got my scope today a big thank you to astronomics for there fast services placed my order last Friday and they got my scope to me fast. This scope is every thing folk have talk about the fit and finish is top quality this scope looks like some scopes costing several thousand dollars more.  A quick view out side in daylight shows high contrast images of all objects even when using a Meade 5.5mm uwa the views were very sharp, to night if the weather is clear I will do a first light with some views of the three planets and later the moon now I fear I may have to get its larger sibling the 102mm ed scope to keep this one company LOL.  

Let us know how it goes!   Have Fun!!!

JMD

#18 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:44 PM

Well not sure there will be a first light to night we have smoke in the air from the wild fires so may wait for that to pass us by time will tell.

#19 dr.planet

dr.planet

Vostok 1

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:18 PM

I have one and put an Orion 6x30 finder on it with this bracket, which is a bit lower profile than the stock one that comes with the finder.  It looks like the same bracket is sold by a number of different distributors.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00OXKHVLE/

More info:

https://www.cloudyni...ctors-pictures/

I modded the bracket a little bit and mounted it in the finder shoe.  The finder just misses my forehead when looking through the eyepiece, others may find that it's in the way.

#20 jmccown

jmccown

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

Well just ordered me a ASTRO-TECH AT80ED 3.1" F/7 ED REFRACTOR from our friends at Astronmic this will feel in the gap between my 120mm orion st f/5 and my 127 Orion mak as far as a grab and go scope. From all the review it seem this is one fine scope for the price cant wait to give it a first light as always the folks at Astronmic are great to deal with.

You made a good decision. I got one two weeks ago and I'm loving the results from observing Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn with it.

What kind of mount will you use for it? I've got a Twilight I and it's working well with this scope.

#21 Astrophotonics

Astrophotonics

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Long Island, New York.

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:35 PM

I'm also interested in the AT80 ED, the SVBony 90mm seems pretty good from reports although i'm skeptical about the build quality.

#22 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

I am using the Orion VersaGo II Altazimuth mount for this scope the two work very well together.

• gene 4181 likes this

#23 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:20 PM

Well so far I am really likening this little scope views are very sharp even when using my 4mm eyepiece, here's a photos of the scope setting on the deck waiting for the sun to go down for a evening of star gazing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0430.JPG

Edited by George Methvin, 12 October 2020 - 06:23 PM.

• zjc26138, russell23, Chuckles34 and 5 others like this

#24 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

Well its official this scope is a keeper I like it so well that I may just have to in get its bigger bother the 102mm f/7 Asto tech ED. The views through this scope are really very good for a scope of this size I have not notice any false color thought this scope as of yet or if there is I just don notice it. The views of Jupiter and Saturn plus Mar are very nice when the seeing is good and the wide field views are outstanding and lets not forget the most imported thing and its a big plus this is one good looking scope LOL. We are heading up into New México next week for a few day and this scope is going with me plus also my 127 mak they make a good pair. Clear skies and stay safe.

• zjc26138, Chuckles34 and dr.planet like this

#25 Terry Smith

Terry Smith

Lift Off

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

I just took to delivery of my AT80ED three days ago and I'm totally satisfied with this telescope. The views are outstanding. I've owned several really good 3" class scopes in the past: Teleview Oracle 3, Takahashi FS78 and four different Orion ED80's. All were excellent scopes. Only the build class of the ED80's was not as nice but the optics were very nice.

This AT80ED has quality construction and the optics are excellent. It has to be the best buy of any 80mm scope around.

• aa6ww, Agatha and mtminnesota like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics