•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASTRO-TECH AT80ED 3.1" F/7 ED REFRACTOR

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

I agree completely one fine scope for the money, trying to find what size solar filter to buy that will fit this scope if any one knows let me know. 

#27 jmccown

jmccown

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

I agree completely one fine scope for the money, trying to find what size solar filter to buy that will fit this scope if any one knows let me know. 

I have a Baader ASSF 80 that I have used with my Celestron 70mm achromat. I just tried it on my AT80ED but it won't quite fit on the tube.

Perhaps you need a Baader ASSF 100?

Edited by jmccown, 16 October 2020 - 01:09 PM.

#28 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:02 AM

Had this scope out tonight viewing Mars and I was not disappointed using a Meade 5.5mm uwa I was clearly able to make out the polar ice cap and the dark surface marking on the red planets surface not to bad for a scope this size I think. I have a funny feeling that's it big bother the Astro tech 102mm may been my next buy for next summer.  

#29 dr.planet

dr.planet

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

I've had some pretty nice views of Mars with mine too, using 4 and 5mm Delites as well as various other eyepieces.  And last night I was up late enough to see Orion come up, so I tried splitting Rigel.  Seeing was not ideal and it was pretty low in the sky, but I was able to see the companion without too much difficulty.  There was some noticeable CA, I'm not sure how much of that's was due to the unsteady skies and large airmass, and how much was inherent to the scope.

#30 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:59 AM

I noticed the same thing a few nights ago the night skies have not been steady here for the last few weeks and I was viewing a bright star don't know its name but it was kind of low in the skies and I noticed a little CA but I think it was mostly due to the unsteady airmass in the skies. I have read that it is not uncommon for a F/7 ed scope to some times show a little CA on brighter objects so time will tell once I get to look a Venus or the Moon I will have a better ideal if this scope has any CA and if so how much but I am not to worried about it. When viewing during the daytime I have not noticed any CA at all.

Edited by George Methvin, 17 October 2020 - 08:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics