•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finderscope solution - help wanted

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#76 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:51 PM

First thing I buy for a scope, if it doesn’t come with one, is a RA Finder.  I only use that as a “before” the eyepiece Finder.  I can’t be without one.  IMO they are wonderful.  

• therealdmt likes this

#77 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

Most of my scopes I have setup to have 2 finderscopes.  Depending on the size of the scope it's either a 9x50, 10x60, or 6x30 RACI and a Red Dot Finder.  The RDF gets me in the general location I need to be in and then I use the RACI from there on

Now most scopes only come with one finder shoe so I end up adding a second finder shoe.  Vixen size finder shoe can be purchased easily on many sites like eBay or Amazon.   They are cheap. 

Depending on the focuser I will add the second shoe on the focuser with a screw (GSO replacement focuser  allows you to add a shoe on the left and right side) or I will add it to the OTA body via screw, double sided tape, silicone,  or combination of the three methods.   Since the RDF are lightweight they are not an issue

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,444&sr=8-2

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics