•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 20" question

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

So the restoration is going very well. The mount worked perfectly and its loud as hell. But it's very accurate.

The ota took alot of work, but assembly will happen when epoxy work dries.

What visual back stuff will we need?

The original owner can't find his diagonal or eyepiece. Can't blame him. Its been in storage for a long long time

#2 fbzolt

fbzolt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:55 AM

The 20 inch uses the same 4 inch visual adapter as the 16 inch, so if you can locate one of those to accept a 2 inch accessory, then that is the only Meade adapter you should need.  The rest will be what ever 2 inch diagonal and eyepieces you choose.

Since I put a NightCrawler on my 20 inch, I haven't used the visual back that came with the scope.  If you put another focuser on the scope for fine focus control, then most should have a Meade 16/20 inch adapter as an option.

Frank Z...

#3 fbzolt

fbzolt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

OK, I went out to my observatory to measure what I had.  The back of the scope has a 4 inch x 16 tpi male thread (standard for the Meade 16/20 inch scopes).  There should be an adapter that screws into that to convert it to a male 2 inch x 24 tpi thread to use the Meade photo-visual accessories.  If you don't have either, then you can look around on the web for the right 16/20 inch back or get one made up by a company like precise parts.

For precise parts you would select the Meade LX200/RCX400 16/20 inch rear cell for the "scope" side and for the "camera" end, one I picked of many options is the Baader 2 inch click lock adapter SC/HD 2956220.  That will give you the 2 inch x 24 tpi male thread on the back to use the Baader click lock 2 inch eyepiece holder or similar.  If you have the 4 inch adapter, then all you would need is the Baader or similar to use any 2 inch diagonals and eyepieces.

Another option is to make an adapter from precise parts to go from the 4 inch to the 3.25 inch thread of the smaller Meade scopes as there are a lot of available adapters for that line.  In that case, select the AP Meade 10/12/14 inch SCT adapter for the "camera" side.  Then you can use a lot of the ones that use the smaller 3.25 inch mount (such as the AP ADASCTLM).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Frank Z...

#4 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2020 - 06:42 PM

Thank.you kindly! Everything is full steam ahead. Aim is first light in 2 weeks

#5 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:08 AM

I guess the image train the group going for is to sep down to a camera with m42 threads

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:46 PM

Update: everything is ready to go. Except the new pier. The fabricator is taking a bit longer. The reducer is still to be purchased. This project is far from dead

#7 Lindhard

Lindhard

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N 55° 30' -- E 8° 26'

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

Any pictures?

#8 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:21 AM

Its been a while, and while the world hasn't ended, progress has been slow and steady. Not many pics, but a fair idea should be sent.

This what we had to work with. In person the mount, aside from dist and some rusting actually worked pretty good. The OTA fell apart when the cheap glue meade used failed. Really, Meade....really?????

med_gallery_218407_302_96624.jpg

The mount was assembled and 10 degrees north didn't seem a problem for the mount. Thank goodness!!! The mount found home everytime and pointing tests seem to be going in the right direction. so far so good. Minor damage to pieces but nothing world ending

med_gallery_218407_302_2917.jpg

The 2 main members dissembling the OTA. Will you look at the wires!

med_gallery_218407_302_53518.jpg

med_gallery_218407_302_92127.jpg

After the cleaning and test assembly

med_gallery_218407_302_47170.jpg

Reassembled OTA. We a fabricating collimation hand screw handles to replace the motor assist. Inconvenient, but reliable. Unless we can source the assemble. Forget Meade, I like them but they are useless here.

:-(

med_gallery_218407_302_84384.jpg

The Container turned observatory after fresh paint. A thing of beauty!!

med_gallery_218407_302_95186.jpg

• tim53, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 9 others like this

#9 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

I might sound like a pauper here, but if any one has any adapters or any doodads that could work from this system and be willing to donate, please let me know. Looks like Meade treated this system like an outside child they are ashamed of. I not sure why though. This mount can do goto on lunar targets. how cool is that?

#10 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

Its been a while, and while the world hasn't ended, progress has been slow and steady. Not many pics, but a fair idea should be sent.

This what we had to work with. In person the mount, aside from dist and some rusting actually worked pretty good. The OTA fell apart when the cheap glue meade used failed. Really, Meade....really?????

med_gallery_218407_302_96624.jpg

The mount was assembled and 10 degrees north didn't seem a problem for the mount. Thank goodness!!! The mount found home everytime and pointing tests seem to be going in the right direction. so far so good. Minor damage to pieces but nothing world ending

med_gallery_218407_302_2917.jpg

The 2 main members dissembling the OTA. Will you look at the wires!

med_gallery_218407_302_53518.jpg

med_gallery_218407_302_92127.jpg

After the cleaning and test assembly

med_gallery_218407_302_47170.jpg

Reassembled OTA. We a fabricating collimation hand screw handles to replace the motor assist. Inconvenient, but reliable. Unless we can source the assemble. Forget Meade, I like them but they are useless here.

:-(

med_gallery_218407_302_84384.jpg

The Container turned observatory after fresh paint. A thing of beauty!!

med_gallery_218407_302_95186.jpg

If a glue failed it's probably in a location where the OTA should have been on a bench with padding during disassembly. Most glues especially after near 20 years is likely to fracture, thats the difference between glue and RTV which is more elastic.  Looks like it has about 20% CO from the size of that center baffle.  Pretty cool overall. 

#11 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:32 PM

Actually, from what I heard is the thing just failed while mounted. Which explains why the springs got jacked up. The owner had a bit of foresight to cover the pieces in massive garbage bags and call someone who could help. Rather than dump it, he contact our astronomy group and asked if we would be willing to take it and the observatory. our expense and time. We had big riots where we were and we had to transport the thing in the cover of night.

#12 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:56 PM

Actually, from what I heard is the thing just failed while mounted. Which explains why the springs got jacked up. The owner had a bit of foresight to cover the pieces in massive garbage bags and call someone who could help. Rather than dump it, he contact our astronomy group and asked if we would be willing to take it and the observatory. our expense and time. We had big riots where we were and we had to transport the thing in the cover of night.

Those rod-adjusting electronics didn't get sorted out, which is really sad.  Meade hadn't used glues on anything so large and likely it was an engineering issue which could have been addressed right along with the electric focusing if the management had been vested in the company and hobby rather than self-profiteering.   That mount though is really the bigger deal over the OTA because it really is a serious piece of work for the time before so many 3rd party companies started competing on that level.   

#13 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:39 AM

It was an epoxy they used. We cleaned it and our boat fabricator put an epoxy that should last long after this mini apocalypse.

Honestly, looking at the mount, not even celestron competes on this level.
Meade had some fantastic ideas that if followed through could have changed the game. A no clutch system shows how committed they were to the electronics.

We are using a moonlite focuser.

Another positive: our group and this 20" scope in a mobile container platform was so impressive that we are one of the 12 winners of the UNDP solar panel project. Now the unit will be solar powered.
  • CltFlyboy likes this

#14 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:55 PM

So, latest update. Pier is fabricated and bolted to observatory.

The last piece we will need help with.

The mount hasn't been used in years and while it slews, it sounds like a coffee grinder on drugs. Suspect needs regressing. Anyone have teardown instructions?

#15 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:30 AM

*regreasing

Does anyone have teardown instructions?

#16 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:37 AM

Lol, that's such a unique mount I doubt it's documented. I'd suggest messaging Dr. Sherrod at the Arkansas observatory. Perhaps he can provide some suggestions

#17 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:50 AM

Lol, that's such a unique mount I doubt it's documented. I'd suggest messaging Dr. Sherrod at the Arkansas observatory. Perhaps he can provide some suggestions

Does anyone have a contact for the person?

Also, is there any value to regreasing the mount?

#18 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

Posted 22 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

He's on CN occassionally but I'd go to the website http://arksky.org/  http://arksky.org/  and click the Contact Us link on the bottom. 

There is definite benefit to at least checking the condition of the factory grease.  If it's still appears fresh (not dull or caking) typically I'd just make sure it's not spread where it shouldn't be. But if you plan to go through and check everything it's probably best to clean and replace it anyway so you know it's been freshened up.  

#19 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

I will contact him. I am unsure how to even begin to open up this monster of a mount

#20 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:34 PM

I also contacted Meade US. That company more dead than my great grandfather

• kzar likes this

#21 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

So Trinidad is under fresh restrictions. Going to see how this affects the meetup plan.

Great. Just great

Edited by wargrafix, 28 April 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#22 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

So progress has been made

Regreasing was successful. Much  better sounding  Anyone have wiring diagrams for the mount?

#23 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:11 AM

The wiring connections on the main board and gps unit got messed up. Unsure, but I suspect wirewrap issue. Anyone know where to begin fixing this thing?

#24 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:34 AM

I'm not certain but would think the engineering built off existing Autostar configuration. Which if true means looking at wiring schematics for an RCX or Autostar II system is where to start comparisons.

#25 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

So I have send out the requests. Hoping for a line of hope

I think when the epoxy failed and the ota fell the cable attached caused the problem.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics