•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What binocular you would NOT part with again?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 whosthebadman

whosthebadman

Vostok 1

• Loc: upper midwest? upper midbest.

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:41 PM

No, I did not !!!

I thought the tread is about "which binocs you would never sell" - the "again" got lost in translation :-)

and now, everyone in this thread eagerly awaits the true answers, from both of you!

What binocular that you have sold, would you never again let go of?  

• ArsMachina likes this

#27 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

and now, everyone in this thread eagerly awaits the true answers, from both of you!

I sold none that I do regret but would never sell my Canon 15x50 IS :-)

Jochen

• Mbinoc and j.gardavsky like this

#28 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

I sold none that I do regret...................

Jochen

Likewise.......

I've given away many more than I have ever sold.

Stan

• Bill david and j.gardavsky like this

#29 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:14 PM

I had a made in Japan Celestron Ultima 7x50 that I wish I had hung on to .  I was confused and didn't know what I wanted  so I returned it to the store that I purchased it from .

• dmorrow and WALL.E like this

#30 Bill david

Bill david

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:18 PM

Believe this is a desert island question.

My desert Island answer is the original Fujinon 7x50 SMT-fx!

Too many qualities to list, but this is my choice -- this one!

Friends, Bill

#31 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

Pentax PIF 7x50 SMC.

I parted with it to finance the 10x50 version, a much better performer in light polluted skies. However, a few trips to dark sky sites has shown me precisely what a high performing 7x50 is capable of in ideal conditions and I've regretted the decision ever since.

As with the 10x50, it's an exceptionally rare binocular that's something of an oddity given the massive size and weight. It would have been wiser of me to simply save up and eventually end up owning both.

Edited by GabrielKnight, 08 October 2020 - 05:51 PM.

• Sergey Stern likes this

#32 asenov13

asenov13

Explorer 1

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:22 PM

Will never sell my Zeiss 10x40 Notarem.Not because is best.....just love it.

• Corcaroli78, ianatcn and Milos1977 like this

#33 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:09 AM

Pentax PIF 7x50 SMC.

I parted with it to finance the 10x50 version, a much better performer in light polluted skies. However, a few trips to dark sky sites has shown me precisely what a high performing 7x50 is capable of in ideal conditions and I've regretted the decision ever since.

As with the 10x50, it's an exceptionally rare binocular that's something of an oddity given the massive size and weight. It would have been wiser of me to simply save up and eventually end up owning both.

I tried the awesome PIF 7x50 and 10x50 and I always preferred the 7x50 model also despite the light pollution.

Edited by Faber, 09 October 2020 - 02:09 AM.

• GabrielKnight likes this

#34 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

Throughout my long life, I have parted maybe with several dozens of binoculars, including Zeiss East and West, Fujinon, Nikon, and even one Leica Ultravid.

Not missing a single one of them.

Those a few left are my horses for courses, nothing to be displayed in a cabinet,

JG

Edited by j.gardavsky, 09 October 2020 - 10:15 AM.

• ianatcn, ArsMachina and DeanD like this

#35 Lt 26

Lt 26

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

I was not intending to part with them but they were stolen right in front of me in broad daylight. By my wife no less.

They were the Swarovski 8x30 cl first generation. The eye relief was a little to short for me so I picked up the 8x32 EL. But the 8x30 cl was going to be my knock around and car binoculars. The ergonomics on them is the best ever, great one handed.

But as you can guess I was standing there doing a side by side comparison against the el's. Along she came and there they went.

Dereck
  • Mark9473, Foss, FLT-Astro and 1 other like this

#36 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:32 AM

I was not intending to part with them but they were stolen right in front of me in broad daylight. By my wife no less.

Dereck

The wives are very good at that. This happened to me, except it was at night with my AP Stowaway during the 2003 Mars apparition. I had my 14.5” Starmaster setup along with the Stowaway. She doesn’t spend much time with scopes or binos, but she stayed out with me for four hours that night using the little refractor. When we finally went in, she declared the scope to be “hers”. Since then I have to ask permission to use it. lol.gif

• John Gauvreau likes this

#37 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

They were the Swarovski 8x30 cl first generation. The eye relief was a little to short for me so I picked up the 8x32 EL. But the 8x30 cl was going to be my knock around and car binoculars. The ergonomics on them is the best ever, great one handed.

But as you can guess I was standing there doing a side by side comparison against the el's. Along she came and there they went.

Dereck

I fully understand what did happen

What the ladies love, are the Swarovski crystals, and the views through the Swarovski binoculars.

https://www.swarovsk...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is all about the fashion,

JG

• ckwastro, Corcaroli78 and ihf like this

#38 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:33 AM

Will never sell my Zeiss 10x40 Notarem.Not because is best.....just love it.

Finally! another Notarem fan laugh.gif

A very underrated CZJ bino, i have been tempted to sell it, but every time i prepare the ad, i go back and take it for a short session just to convince myself i still need it

Carlos

• litesong likes this

#39 asenov13

asenov13

Explorer 1

Posted 24 October 2020 - 12:37 AM

Finally! another Notarem fan laugh.gif

A very underrated CZJ bino, i have been tempted to sell it, but every time i prepare the ad, i go back and take it for a short session just to convince myself i still need it

Carlos

This is the first roof prism Zeiss binocular.That must be special for them as well.Wide field of view,clear image, much lighter than porro prism models,easy to hold.Very compact so it will take less space in a travel bag.

#40 astronomus1930

astronomus1930

Sputnik

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:33 AM

Athlon Midas 8x42 [roof] had the sharpest, most vivid image I've ever enjoyed. But I wanted to go big so I sold it to acquire Oberwerk 15x70 DeLuxe. The obie allows me to go much deeper than the Athlon, but at the expense of image quality.

• Milos1977 and j.gardavsky like this

#41 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:12 PM

Well good news! I am getting my Canons back with dew shields.

Hopefully I dont make the same mistake twice lol. I just think the 10x42L just do everything right.

I liked them for birding as much as I did for astro use.
  • John Gauvreau, Sarkikos, Milos1977 and 1 other like this

#42 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:52 AM

although,

I daydream that if I were starting over, what optics would I buy,

looking at my history, my interest, what is available now

question.gif

Edited by edwincjones, 26 October 2020 - 05:53 AM.

• Milos1977 likes this

#43 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 05 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Canon 10x42 IS.

But I lied.  I never parted with the Canon 10x42 IS, and never would. grin.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 05 November 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• ihf likes this

#44 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Gemini

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

In # 11, above:

"..being serviced at Fujinon"....Do they service? Where? Is that a " factory authorized" facility, in which the staff had put lots of unneeded RTV silicone rubber, repeatedly, which slowed me down, annoyingly, when it later became my turn to service something which had passed their way.

Nemoto Yasuyuki ("Charley") (RIP) said to me, several times, "We are a sales company". That was after he fired a one-person service tech at the Wayne, N.J. Fujinon headquarters.
That position was never reactivated, to my knowledge.

Edited by Gordon Rayner, 06 November 2020 - 10:40 PM.

#45 Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

My current Leica Ultravids. Bought 2 brand new pairs of 8x32 on EBay years ago for under $800 each. Now they go for nearly $2000. They truly are spectacular and are excellent travel binoculars due to their size and weight. Bought a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42 as a gift for a neighbor and they are fantastic for the money.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

#46 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:40 PM

I do not regret selling any of them. I only sell them when I bring one home in the same power that I determine performs better than another set I already have. I also only purchase them if I think there might be a potential chance to upgrade.

I currently have a small 2nd hand lot of consisting of about 7-8 that I consider keepers, But any of those keepers may be shipped out if I bring home another new find in a same power that happens to out perform any in my collection.

I'm in a different boat than others more serious, because all mine were purchased 2nd hand and I never spent a significant amount on any of them. However I do have a few finds in different powers that I really enjoy.

A couple months ago I got the chance to look through a very expensive pair for the first time, and was able to compare it to what I have.

I will admit they were definitely better than what I have, but they were not within my budget. They also were not what I consider $2000 better at this point in time. At first I did not even initially see all the differences, and then the owner of the pair told me different things he noticed, and after they were explained I was able to see what he described. (It was basically a exercise in looking for faults, and not just enjoying the view). But I guess once you see the faults, they are harder to miss.

I'm pretty happy with what I got, but am always looking for another potential cost effective upgrade. Over the years I have sold close to 20 of them. When I do sell a pair, I usually make a small $10 -$30 profit so its not a hobby I really lost any money in.

If I ever purchase a bum pair online that I can not fix, I just dissemble them for parts and get a few telescope eyepieces to play with.

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 November 2020 - 01:22 PM.

• Milos1977 likes this

#47 michael1959

michael1959

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2020 - 03:11 PM

The one I wish I'd never sold was my (once "beloved") Zeiss 7x42 BGAT *T* *P* Dialyt, purchased brand new in 2002, and sold during a fit of optical insanity in 2012.

Kenny

Same here. They were fantastic. Selling them was one of the worst optics decisions I ever made. What's more, I'd have to pay more for them now (in a lesser condition) than what I got in the sale.

#48 Milos1977

Milos1977

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Woodside - New York

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:22 PM

In # 11, above:

"..being serviced at Fujinon"....Do they service? Where? Is that a " factory authorized" facility, in which the staff had put lots of unneeded RTV silicone rubber, repeatedly, which slowed me down, annoyingly, when it later became my turn to service something which had passed their way.

Nemoto Yasuyuki ("Charley") (RIP) said to me, several times, "We are a sales company". That was after he fired a one-person service tech at the Wayne, N.J. Fujinon headquarters.
That position was never reactivated, to my knowledge.

I have contacted James F. at Wayne NJ facility. He was very helpful even though he told me at the beginning that this binocular is discontinued and they might not be able to service it anymore. After forwarding the photos I sent him to repair techs, he informed me that they said they think they can fix it. 

He mentioned that my binocular would be sent to Japan service facility and back at their cost. I would pay for repair only. It turned out to be $110 total my cost so I agreed. I really want that binocular in good shape. 

Edited by Milos1977, 12 November 2020 - 08:22 PM.

• John Gauvreau and Foss like this

#49 litesong

litesong

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:54 PM

Me..... I can’t sell a drink of water to someone dying of thirst in the desert. Put ads in the paper or internet to sell things.....never get an enquiry. So I can only answer what I would never try to sell. My Nikon 8x36mm Buckmasters have to stay with me. Adore wide-angle &/or extra power binoculars which I have many. But my cheap $18 Ebay Nikon buy has always given equal or more unreserved pleasure than my others.

Came across a birdwatcher with an 50(+?) year old Zeiss binocular that he would never part with. & the view through the Zeiss was wonderful. With trepidation I let him look through my Nikon’s. He looked for quite a while & said, “Wow you have a good view too.”

We talked for a while about birds then we parted. Before we did tho, he asked to look thru the Nikon’s one last time.

Edited by litesong, 13 November 2020 - 02:40 PM.

• John Gauvreau and Milos1977 like this

#50 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• Loc: NC, US

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:05 PM

A Carl Zeiss Jena Octarem which was their 8x50 porro binocular. I am sure my younger eyes helped some but some of the views I seen with it will stick with me forever. Like watching one of the last Titan rockets punch through the atmosphere one evening. It rippled like a rock hitting water

• Corcaroli78, Foss and Milos1977 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics