•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What binocular you would NOT part with again?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:32 AM

miyauchi 20/ 26/37x100 FL

many have stated the newer ones are better, but these have been a companion since early 2000s,

I remember the many discussions with wife re how to pay for them,

finally cashed in a whole life insurance policy-a good move as I  and am still alive

edj

Edited by edwincjones, 15 November 2020 - 05:37 AM.

• Bratman2, Foss, ihf and 1 other like this

#52 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

• Loc: Germany

Posted 15 November 2020 - 02:49 PM

miyauchi 20/ 26/37x100 FL

many have stated the newer ones are better, but these have been a companion since early 2000s,

I remember the many discussions with wife re how to pay for them,

finally cashed in a whole life insurance policy-a good move as I  and am still alive

edj

People looking up in the starry skies are living longer,

JG

• Sarkikos and Milos1977 like this

#53 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

The one I wish I'd never sold was my (once "beloved") Zeiss 7x42 BGAT *T* *P* Dialyt, purchased brand new in 2002, and sold during a fit of optical insanity in 2012.

Kenny

I can't imagine parting with my Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt T*P. There's no substitute for quality.

Graham 

Edited by Grimnir, 23 November 2020 - 05:42 PM.

#54 litesong

litesong

Messenger

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:55 PM

People looking up in the starry skies are living longer,

JG

I had an acquaintance from a more distant Astronomy Club, who died while felling a tree. Never asked, but always hoped that he wasn’t clearing trees to improve his astronomy view.

#55 litesong

litesong

Messenger

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:25 PM

A Carl Zeiss Jena Octarem which was their 8x50 porro binocular. I am sure my younger eyes helped some but some of the views I seen with it will stick with me forever. Like watching one of the last Titan rockets punch through the atmosphere one evening. It rippled like a rock hitting water

Yes, watching videos showing rockets entering clouds, often show the water compression & shock waves radiating from nose cones. I saw a similar effect while watching Comet Hale-Bopp & visible shockwaves, while ablating gases and material left the comet and interacted with the inter-planetary medium.

That you saw it “in reality” while viewing through binoculars, must have been amazing. I know my viewing Hale-Bopp shockwaves will be remembered till I die.

Edited by litesong, 07 December 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#56 Gumball

Gumball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:50 PM

Zeiss 10x56 "Night Owl"

Bought them beat up and abused, refurbished them, sold them, made money from sale.

Later, had second thoughts.  Last of the "leaded glass" optics, the best binocular Zeiss ever produced.

I have several excellent binoculars, the Night Owl glasses were just a little better - night viewing, astro viewing, day viewing.

Edited by Gumball, 10 December 2020 - 09:54 PM.

• hallelujah and Milos1977 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics