•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexDome and POTH not waiting until dome finishes slewing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 colinrm

colinrm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 08 October 2020 - 11:00 AM

Howdy!

I've recently installed and tested my new NexDome with my EQ8-R.  I use EQASCOM for the mount, the newest NexDome ASCOM driver, and POTH as the dome hub.  Everything seems to be working well, the dome aligns properly with the scope and everything.  Last night was my first imaging run.  Everything went well until the meridian flip, where the scope flipped and the dome moved, but NINA started the plate solving image before the dome finished slewing.  Since it was imaging the inside of the dome, the plate solve failed and it just hung after that.

After a little testing this morning, when I issue a slew to POTH, it shows "slewing" as the scope moves, and once the scope reaches the target, it doesn't show "slewing" anymore, even though the dome is still moving.  After a good bit of searching, everything I see shows that POTH is supposed to report as still slewing until the dome is finished moving, too.  But, this doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Is this an issue in POTH?  A setting that I missed somewhere?  An issue with the NexDome driver?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 08 October 2020 - 03:16 PM

It could be that the issue is with the NexDome driver, or POTH.  50-50 chance either way.  Is there a reason why you are using POTH between NINA and the NexDome driver?  NINA should be able to talk to the NexDome driver directly.  If NINA can see the dome slewing without POTH in the way, then POTH is the problem.

In SGP, I solve the dome slew issue by adding a 30 second settling delay to scope slews.  (I have some software between SGP and the dome that prevents SGP seeing the dome slewing.)  That is enough time for the dome to slew 180 degrees, the worst case.  If you can set a settling delay in NINA, that would be a workaround.  The delay is a nuisance when the scope only has to slew 100 pixels, as in tweaking a plate solve, but it's one I can live with.

Edited by kathyastro, 08 October 2020 - 03:18 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics