•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO Chromatic Abberation?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:38 PM

About 60 exposures, 1 minute, unguided, unmodded DSLR Canon 800D.

no filters.

#27 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

This is a jpg , one the the 60, untouched and higly enlarged.(i Always take RAW + JPG)

The photo above is stacked off course, but the jpg here is(cut out of a brighter star) untouched and comes straight from the camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• 61edph.JPG

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 11 October 2020 - 03:04 PM.

#28 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:53 PM

I finally had the opportunity to setup everything and start testing the go-to, which seems to work relatively well. However, my photos of the Pleiades have these purple halos around them and I can't help but wonder if I got a dud scope, or if it really matters and I can edit this out and correct at a later point. I posted here because I want to know if this is specifically a fault with the telescope and I do not have any eye pieces to just pop into the scope to check myself.

This is just a 30 second exposure and it seems to be visible in other stars, not red ones or orange ones, but blue ones specifically.

Very disturbing picture. I don't think it should look like this...see my picture of M35, made by the doublet version of this scope. IMO something is not right with the scope...

#29 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

See below a picture taken with the doublet version...

Let's be clear; doublet version of what? I presume it is not Sharpstar 61 EDPH II; if not then let's not confuse the matter. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 11 October 2020 - 04:38 PM.

#30 Barologuy

Barologuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:49 PM

I messaged Sharpstar and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you updated!

#31 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:59 AM

Let's be clear; doublet version of what? I presume it is not Sharpstar 61 EDPH II; if not then let's not confuse the matter. Regards

No it is the sharpstar 61 mm EDPH version 1. A doublet. Only very recently Sharpstar came out with a triplet version. Same FF/FR, same F, same outfit

That is why I cannot understand the doublet seems to give better views that the triplet here. You should expect just the opposite.

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 12 October 2020 - 01:01 AM.

#32 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for clarifying; I didn't know. Regardless, they are two different sopes/designs. Agree with your assessment though. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 12 October 2020 - 01:33 AM.

#33 anat

anat

iAstroHub 3

• Vendors

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:02 PM

I messaged Sharpstar and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll keep you updated!

Any words from Sharpstar on this issue?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#34 Barologuy

Barologuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:39 PM

No word from Sharpstar.

It could be related to the fact that I have a larger scope mounted on top of that may be causing the lens problems, but when I stack them generally the purple rings go away and it seems to go away as the weather chills down.

Not sure what that means though.

#35 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:00 AM

How do you focus?

#36 Barologuy

Barologuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

How do you focus?

Typically I have a DSLR connected and then I focus as best as possible using camera features, then I place a Bahtinov mask over the OTA to make the final adjustments, usually while on max camera "zoom" on the image.

And I refocus when I slew to a new object.

#37 andysea

andysea

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:48 PM

I agree with what others have said. It looks like CA.  I might have missed it but did you try the same target without the focal reducer?

That would be the first step to troubleshoot the system. You will get field curvature but that is expected without a corrector.

Make sure that you have some of the bright stars in the center of the image.

#38 Barologuy

Barologuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:28 AM

I agree with what others have said. It looks like CA. I might have missed it but did you try the same target without the focal reducer?
That would be the first step to troubleshoot the system. You will get field curvature but that is expected without a corrector.

I did not try it without a focal reducer, I'll update this next time I have clear skies. Lots of smoke right now, the Colorado fires are about 5 miles from my house!

#39 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:03 AM

I agree with what others have said. It looks like CA.  I might have missed it but did you try the same target without the focal reducer?

That would be indeed a good test

Or shoot the moon, when she is bright, to see i you get purple or yellow rims....

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 18 October 2020 - 05:05 AM.

#40 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:10 AM

Stay safe with those fires nearby! I am also curious  to see what the results are without the reducer.

#41 byang

byang

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 24 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

No word from Sharpstar.

It could be related to the fact that I have a larger scope mounted on top of that may be causing the lens problems, but when I stack them generally the purple rings go away and it seems to go away as the weather chills down.

Not sure what that means though.

It is almost 2 weeks. Have u gotten a reply from Sharpstar?

#42 Barologuy

Barologuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 11:37 PM

It is almost 2 weeks. Have u gotten a reply from Sharpstar?

I have still not gotten a reply from Sharpstar regarding the CA.

I'll also note that viewing without the Reducer and Flattener, and removing all other equipment made no difference, the stars are still purple.

Edited by Barologuy, 24 October 2020 - 11:39 PM.

#43 byang

byang

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:36 PM

I have still not gotten a reply from Sharpstar regarding the CA.

I'll also note that viewing without the Reducer and Flattener, and removing all other equipment made no difference, the stars are still purple.

Thanks for the update. Do u mean that the same was observed when the scope was used for visual?

I have gotten same day response from Sharpstar when I sent them an enquiry in July: sales@sharpstar-optics.com. Was it the same email that u sent to? You may want to email them again and ask if they have received your earlier email and are studying the problem, and to provide a date where you may possibly hear from them on the outcome. Giving them the serial number of your scope or QC report may also be useful for the investigation at their end. Just a suggestion :-)

#44 Barologuy

Barologuy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the update. Do u mean that the same was observed when the scope was used for visual?

I have gotten same day response from Sharpstar when I sent them an enquiry in July: sales@sharpstar-optics.com. Was it the same email that u sent to? You may want to email them again and ask if they have received your earlier email and are studying the problem, and to provide a date where you may possibly hear from them on the outcome. Giving them the serial number of your scope or QC report may also be useful for the investigation at their end. Just a suggestion :-)

I am reaching out through my vendor and I will hopefully know more later this week.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics