•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Portaball - new owner with questions

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 mjgillen

mjgillen

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Solana Beach, CA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:40 AM

I was looking at that one Jon. Gotta find the specs to see what the height is on that one however looks like a winner so far...

#52 John Miele

John Miele

Skylab

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:44 PM

I had a Wilkinson 6" f7 mirror several years ago and it was a superb performer. He makes top notch optics...

cs...John

#53 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:19 PM

My PB is the best visual scope I have ever used in its aperture class.  

Ditto that.  I have one of the early 12.5 with an aluminum ball with an incredible Pegasus mirror.  Peter was so proud of the test report he provided with it.  I thought ok, 1/37 or something like that was probably beyond any reasonable measurement I could get behind.

Then I had a view of Jupiter one night with a binoviewer which was tricky to use. Peter was going to make me shorter truss but then he said I needed to add a lot of weight to the bottom so I never bothered. 

The view was really like a Hubble photo, so incredibly memorable with colors, swirls, details within GRS.  I thought of taking this mirror and building a truss newt ota, so I could EQ mount it and it would be the finest 12.5 inch visual instrument for planetary work.

• Bill Jensen and peleuba like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics