•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Yet another RoR Arduino Controller

observatory
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:10 PM

I'm building another small roll-of roof observatory, so, I cobbled together a very simple Arduino based controller.  The hardware consists of an Arduino Uno, relay shield, and some magnetic sensors (open, closed, scope safe).  The relays can be used to activate motor contactors for a wide range of possibilities including simple garage opens and gate motors.  There is an ASCOM driver, and TheSkyX plugin (written by Rodolphe Pineau see here).  Everyone is welcome to use/modify/etc. to suit your own needs. You can download the Arduino sketch and ASCOM driver here

• R Botero likes this

#2 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

Hi Chuck,

great to be an DIYer.

Do you have any schematics of your setup, what motor did you use?

There is also a DIY group Observatory Control Systems that uses an Arduino you might check out onstep-ocs@onstep.groups.io

any pictures?

Edited by ssagerian, 11 October 2020 - 02:02 PM.

#3 Chuck Faranda

Chuck Faranda

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the link. 

The motor I will be using is the Aleko gate opener with.  Pretty simple setup (see pic).  wiring4.jpg

#4 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:04 PM

Hi,

this is just what I need, thankyou for making it available.

One query, the RCC1 doc says that it requires a 12v power supply? Yet the relay shields are 5 volt? Does this matter?

I presume that both the usb and the power supply are plugged in to the UNO......

Sorry for the basic questions, but whilst I am good at "monkey see, monkey do" I'm pretty electronically illiterate :-)

cheers

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics