•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can anybody help me with my first Pallasite?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AlienTripod

AlienTripod

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:39 PM

Hi, everyone!

I've just joined this site today, so please forgive me for my inexperience and possible errors in terminology.

To get straight to my question, I'm trying to choose between two slices of Pallasite (this will be my first real meteorite, as the authenticity of the one I got as gift is very debatable).

-My first choice is a Seymchan slice from http://www.meteoritemarket.com - (16.8 gm), size looks to be 5cm x 3 cm:

SEY16-82A.jpg

-My second choice is a Sericho slice from https://www.heavenlyrocks.com - (123.4 gm), size looks to be 8cm x 6cm:

e0a175_8379d2b03f7d492fafd9ffcc03d0d87c~mv2.jpg

e0a175_609b56c7979743e49d8a55d5c647d324~mv2.jpg

I can assume both of the specimens have been treated, but I've only managed to receive more informations about it from Sericho's seller (still waiting to hear back from the other).

What surprised me is that the Seymchan costs the same as the Sericho despite the latter being so much larger in size and weight.

Is this due to Seymchan's reputation about being more stable and less prone to rust?

I tried to look into Sericho's reputation, but being a relatively "new" finding, I couldn't find much.

Have any of you had any experience with any of these meteorites?

I've already looked at the meteor care thread from this site, and while it has definitely cleared up some doubts, I'm still unsure of what would be the best way to store and preserve such a delicate piece.

From what I've understood, most people either store them dry in an air tight container with some desiccants in it, while others display them outside with some other kind of protection.

I've also read conflicting reports on whether they should be coated with something like Gun Oil or ATF periodically, which reminds me of the way some people I know keep their swords safe from rust.

If anyone has any insights on this, and can spare some seconds to help an inexperienced novice like me before taking the plunge, I'd be immensely grateful!

Thank you so much to whoever has taken the time to read this

Edited by AlienTripod, 11 October 2020 - 02:11 PM.

• mark8888 likes this

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:00 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

The first seller (Meteorite Market) is Eric Twelker. He is one of the most reliable and knowledgeable dealers around. I've been buying specimens from him for over 10 years. Nice guy as well.

I have no idea who the second seller is. Never heard of that website or seller, and there is no way to identify the seller on the website, which is a bit unusual. No name, no "About Me" or anything.

The Seymchan is a higher-quality meteorite. More stable by nature, and Eric uses the proper cutting and preparation techniques, which results in a very stable specimen. I've had pieces from him that have not rusted in over 10 years.

Sericho can be a ruster. It's not as stable as Seymchan, but it can be decently-stable if prepared properly. The market is flooded with it right now and much of it appears to be improperly prepared and will likely rust in short order. The Sericho seller's pieces look nice in the photos, but there's no way of telling how well they will hold up in the long run.

Eric's pieces have not been treated. When properly prepared, a good pallasite doesn't need chemicals or treatments to remain stable. Beware of pieces that have been clear-coated in polyurethane or encased in acrylic - that is usually reserved for pieces that are expected to rust, hence the treatment.

I'd go for the Seymchan, but that's just me and I am a little biased.  smile.gif

Good luck!

MikeG

Edited by Glassthrower, 11 October 2020 - 04:01 PM.

• mark8888, Meteorite finder and AlienTripod like this

#3 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 11 October 2020 - 10:04 PM

I’m definitely not an expert. I totally agree with the recommendations of MikeG as stated above. I would always purchase from a reputable source, Eric at meteorite market.  There is no information about the Heavenly Rocks seller or credentials. 
Something to consider is the rarity and availability of meteorites.  Seymchan has a total known weight (TKW) of 351 kg.  Sericho has a TKW of 2.8 tons and is readily available.  Just saying, I would also purchase the Seymchan.

Dave

• AlienTripod likes this

#4 AlienTripod

AlienTripod

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:12 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

The first seller (Meteorite Market) is Eric Twelker. He is one of the most reliable and knowledgeable dealers around. I've been buying specimens from him for over 10 years. Nice guy as well.

I have no idea who the second seller is. Never heard of that website or seller, and there is no way to identify the seller on the website, which is a bit unusual. No name, no "About Me" or anything.

The Seymchan is a higher-quality meteorite. More stable by nature, and Eric uses the proper cutting and preparation techniques, which results in a very stable specimen. I've had pieces from him that have not rusted in over 10 years.

Sericho can be a ruster. It's not as stable as Seymchan, but it can be decently-stable if prepared properly. The market is flooded with it right now and much of it appears to be improperly prepared and will likely rust in short order. The Sericho seller's pieces look nice in the photos, but there's no way of telling how well they will hold up in the long run.

Eric's pieces have not been treated. When properly prepared, a good pallasite doesn't need chemicals or treatments to remain stable. Beware of pieces that have been clear-coated in polyurethane or encased in acrylic - that is usually reserved for pieces that are expected to rust, hence the treatment.

I'd go for the Seymchan, but that's just me and I am a little biased. smile.gif

Good luck!

MikeG

Thank you so much for the lengthy response, and warm welcome.

I think I'll go with the Seymchan then.

Nothing bad with starting from a vendor that, from what I've understood, has a good reputation amongst your community.

Do you have any say about storage/preservation of Pallasites?

I have an unopened bottle of rust preventive oil at home, but I'm not sure if lightly coating it would be a good idea.

What's your general consensus on an affordable way to prevent any rust formation and safe storage?

Thank you so much

#5 AlienTripod

AlienTripod

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:13 AM

I’m definitely not an expert. I totally agree with the recommendations of MikeG as stated above. I would always purchase from a reputable source, Eric at meteorite market. There is no information about the Heavenly Rocks seller or credentials.
Something to consider is the rarity and availability of meteorites. Seymchan has a total known weight (TKW) of 351 kg. Sericho has a TKW of 2.8 tons and is readily available. Just saying, I would also purchase the Seymchan.
Dave

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I think I've made up my mind and will go with the Seymchan.

Do you have any additional knowledge on how to preserve/store it once it's in my hands (I live in Japan, a country well known for its hight humility).

Thank you

Edited by AlienTripod, 12 October 2020 - 02:14 AM.

#6 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:39 AM

Thank you so much for the lengthy response, and warm welcome.

I think I'll go with the Seymchan then.

Nothing bad with starting from a vendor that, from what I've understood, has a good reputation amongst your community.

Do you have any say about storage/preservation of Pallasites?

I have an unopened bottle of rust preventive oil at home, but I'm not sure if lightly coating it would be a good idea.

What's your general consensus on an affordable way to prevent any rust formation and safe storage?

Thank you so much

Hi Alien,

Welcome to this great hobby!

Are you anywhere near Tokyo?  If so, you HAVE to go to this show.

http://www.tokyomine...ow.com/outline/

I believe I first heard about it from the very same Mike G who has given you so much great advice above (thanks Mike!).  There are only around 6 or 7 tables with meteorites at the entire show, but the vendors include some of the very top hunters/dealers in the world. So you get to see and choose from an absolutely world-class selection.  Obviously this year has been messed up and I'm not sure what will happen for the next show... if it will be held at all, who might partake.  But anyway it happens at around the same time every year.  Here are some of my photos:

https://www.cloudyni...eral-show-2015/

You're right to be concerned about rust in Japan, as you know the summer is ridiculous with the humidity.  Here's how I have dealt with it, see the case at the bottom:

https://www.cloudyni...6-bye-bye-rust/

I've had Seymchan rust a bit in Japan, and Sericho rust a whole lot.  Seymchan is definitely more stable.  That said I also have Sericho that I leave out 12 months a year and it never rusts because it's been prepared the right way (and you could find Sericho like that at the Tokyo show from 2 of the dealers there).

Edited by mark8888, 14 October 2020 - 02:40 AM.

• lee14 and AlienTripod like this

#7 AlienTripod

AlienTripod

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:31 PM

Hi Alien,

Welcome to this great hobby!

Are you anywhere near Tokyo?  If so, you HAVE to go to this show.
http://www.tokyomine...ow.com/outline/

I believe I first heard about it from the very same Mike G who has given you so much great advice above (thanks Mike!).  There are only around 6 or 7 tables with meteorites at the entire show, but the vendors include some of the very top hunters/dealers in the world. So you get to see and choose from an absolutely world-class selection.  Obviously this year has been messed up and I'm not sure what will happen for the next show... if it will be held at all, who might partake.  But anyway it happens at around the same time every year.  Here are some of my photos:
https://www.cloudyni...eral-show-2015/

You're right to be concerned about rust in Japan, as you know the summer is ridiculous with the humidity.  Here's how I have dealt with it, see the case at the bottom:
https://www.cloudyni...6-bye-bye-rust/

I've had Seymchan rust a bit in Japan, and Sericho rust a whole lot.  Seymchan is definitely more stable.  That said I also have Sericho that I leave out 12 months a year and it never rusts because it's been prepared the right way (and you could find Sericho like that at the Tokyo show from 2 of the dealers there).

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and various suggestions.

That show looks awesome!

I've checked my work schedule and unfortunately I won't be able to attend it (living in Nagoya and not Tokyo doesn't really help), fingers crossed for next year!

I've taken a look at your case and it looks like a definite easy way to store them while keeping them visible!

I might have to search a bit for some good desiccants bags, but the container and screen should be easy finds here in Japan smile.gif

In the end, I went with this Seymchan specimen (the one I first posted was unfortunately sold some days ago):

SEY15-74A.jpg

I had been looking for a lunar specimen for a while, so I binged and ordered this too (really liked the colors and shapes on this):

NWA11273-315A.jpg

Lastly, I wanted to make a present for a relative of mine, so I opted for this Chondrite from Northwest Africa (it was fairly cheap):

NWA869-43-1A.jpg

Would you leave both the Chondrite and Pallasite (Eric stated that Seymchan comes in a membrane box) in the same container?

Do you think oiling them a bit before putting them in will help in some way?

I have an unopened bottle of rust preventive oil for delicate machinery that kept me thinking.

Thanks for all the help

I'll be surely posting some pictures when they arrive (forgive me for using my smartphone camera)!!

Edited by AlienTripod, 15 October 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

I used Eric from Meteorite Market and recommend him. I wouldn't buy the Sericho. I also got a Seymchan :)

post-64219-14073944252689_thumb.jpg

post-64219-14074213151092_thumb.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics