•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New refractor

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 11 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

Im looking into some advice from you guys, because im starting to loose my mind.
Ive ordered a RST 135 mount and ive just sold my Ioptron Ieq45 pro.
Now im looking into buying a apochromatic telescope to use on this mount.My idea is to wait for the new Cat 71 in order to make my setup, a lot lighter. And subsequently sell my Tak 106 ED. But then comes my problem, every time i look at it i say: "i cant sell this", "i cant sell this". I am afraid that i will regret this decision, but im also afraid of using this scope on the RST mount, and having an accident like loosing the power and the all rig tip over.
The Tak is 7 kgs, with the NikonD5300 and the guide system is something like 8.5kgs. The mount can hold 13.5kgs without counterweights, but i have no confidance on this.
Do you guys know the weight of the focuser on this scope? If i replace it with the motorized Primalucelab 4" Esatto that weights some 2 kgs, will i gain something?
The guide scope and camera is the Qhyccd mini guide scope and camera, and so, i dont think i can go lighter than that.
I dont know what to do....

Edited by Emanuel, 12 October 2020 - 01:01 AM.

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:15 PM

Keep the Tak until you get the new setup running and then you will know if the new system will make you happy (or not) - at that point you can decide to sell or keep the Tak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • gnowellsct, Emanuel and 25585 like this

#3 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

Hey friend, thanks for helping. That is not a bad idea at all πŸ€”

#4 ris242

ris242

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:16 PM

no faith?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Krs_AaRvTaQ

I was gonna put up the 130/9.2 movie, but that was actually sitting on the RST 150.

• Emanuel likes this

#5 Catalin81

Catalin81

Lift Off

• Loc: Bucharest, Romania

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

My LZOS + accessories weigh 7.5-8kgs and the RST-135 handles them like they are feather light.

It’s a very powerful little beast. Also, the scope has to be pretty badly unbalanced for it to backdrive when unpowered and even then, the movement is incredibly slow, without any chance whatsoever to even scratch anything.

You made a very good choice with this mount. Don’t worry about it.

• Emanuel likes this

#6 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. I may try the Tak 106 on it before deciding anything 😊
  • Catalin81 likes this

#7 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:19 AM

But just out of curiosity, do you guys know the weight of the FSQ focuser. I didnt wanted to remove mine to find out 😊

#8 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:21 AM

Ahammmm......anyone???confused1.gif

#9 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:04 AM

Ahammmm......anyone???confused1.gif

The RST-135 rated capacity is real. Don't worry about it supporting your FSQ-106-based imaging system. Max load for the RST is 18kg. You will be under the nominal rating of 13.5kg.

You have the FSQ-106ED. You want people like me to remove the 106 focuser to weigh it for you rather than you doing it yourself? Life is short. Just take the focuser off the scope and weigh it!

You are, I believe, hand-wringing needlessly.

Phil

#10 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

The RST-135 rated capacity is real. Don't worry about it supporting your FSQ-106-based imaging system. Max load for the RST is 18kg. You will be under the nominal rating of 13.5kg.

You have the FSQ-106ED. You want people like me to remove the 106 focuser to weigh it for you rather than you doing it yourself? Life is short. Just take the focuser off the scope and weigh it!

You are, I believe, hand-wringing needlessly.

Phil

No Phil, i dont want people to remove it and do the job for me. I was wondering if someone, who had replaced the focuser, knew about its weight. Why im not doing it? Because im 220kms away from my own equipment! Thats whyundecided.gif

Edited by Emanuel, 13 October 2020 - 02:47 PM.

#11 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:31 PM

Keep the Tak until you get the new setup running and then you will know if the new system will make you happy (or not) - at that point you can decide to sell or keep the Tak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree with this.  I have been in the fortunate position of never needing to sell something in order to buy it first.  

I "lend myself" the money to buy something.  Then once it gets here and I am satisfied it is operational I sell something to "pay myself back."  

In some cases I have made the decision that something is too good, too reliable to sell.  I am SO GLAD I kept the G11 after the AP900 got here.  For one thing, the AP900 needed to go back to Astro-physics on two occasions and that was no skin off my back I just used the G11.  And it dawned on me that l have  MANY uses for the G11 even though I do have the AP900.  10+ years later I still use the G11 lots.  And there's some jobs for which it is ill suited, and then I'm glad to have the AP900.

This mount RST 135 is a very interesting design.  I was all set to order one till I realized how new it is and comparatively untested.  I have very conflicted views about W.O.   They make some good stuff.  On the other hand they sold all these refractors with horrible focusers five or six years ago and they never really did make it right.  

I came away with it thinking that they weren't very good at things with gears.  Now they have a mount out, and mounts are all about gears.  

So I took my hand off the checkbook and decided that the G11 is still looking pretty good.  

I'm not sure what refractor you want to get but I am skeptical that selling the Tak is a good idea.  It is a good idea if you're buying another Tak or an equivalent like a TEC or CFF.   I sold my FS128 after I got the GT130.  That's a decision that I only regret every now and then.  Mainly I had discovered I like f/8.1.  The 130 is nothing to sneeze at.   I think the RST 135 would be a terrific automated mount for my 92mm for travel purposes.   I don't know how long it would take me to have confidence in the RST reliability.  But it's very intriguing and one of these days if my finger is itchy I might buy.  But I won't be selling the G11 or the AP900 any time soon.  But so far as these things go, I am more hesitant to sell a good mount than a good optical tube. And I'm plenty hesitant to sell a good optical tube.  I've done it, but it's painful.

Greg N

• Emanuel likes this

#12 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

No Phil, i dont want people to remove it and do the job for me. I was wondering if someone, who had replaced the focuser, knew about its weight. Why im not doing it? Because im 220kms away from my own equipment! Thats whyundecided.gif

I would bet that somewhere on the imterweb, like a manufacturer's or vendor's website, that you could find the weight of said article without driving, flying, or riding a train 220kms

• Emanuel likes this

#13 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:05 AM

Hey guys, thanks for helping.
Yeah, im very reluctant to depart from the Tak, at the point that im also considering a trade to the little brother, the FSQ 85.
My situation is very peculiar, as i work outside Portugal, in Prague, Czech Republic, which is roughly 3000 kms away from my home, and my gear is at my father`s home, which is 200kms away from my own home, but has one of the best night skies in Portugal, with a Bortle 3 sky. So you can imagine how difficult it is for me, to have some nights of AP.
My idea is to have the lightest setup and fast to assembly, so i can take advantage of the rare nights that i have.
The RST is a gamble, like you guys said, and a expensive one, and sincerely, im hopping that i will not regret it, but we will see, ive just received a message from UPS saying that it will arrive on the next days. Cant wait.
Ive been looking on the net for the weight of the focuser, and i didnt find anything yet. I`ll keep looking.
Otherwise, when at my father`s home, i will do it.
I had, in the past, the FLT 132mm from William Optics, and at that time, i replace the focuser, which was not so good, by the FeatherTouch one, which needs no presentation, its just a marvellous piece of engineering.
I believe that WO came a long way, and their products are much better now, from all the posts i saw.
Eventually i sold it and bought the Tak.
So, for the moment, i will follow your advices and wait to see the new Cat, before i decide anything.
Thanks people
Emanuel

Edited by Emanuel, 16 October 2020 - 05:05 AM.

#14 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:02 PM

For lighter, what about a FSQ-85, rather than 71mm 'Cat?

#15 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:06 AM

Yes, that is also on my mind. But i need to see the Cat 71 before i decide anything 😊

#16 Emanuel

Emanuel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

So, just an update on my question about the weight of the FSQ 106 ED focuser. I got in contact with PrimaLuceLab, because they make the electronic focuser Esatto 4" and they were kind enough to provide the weight on the original focuser. Its 2kgs or 4.4 pounds, which is also the weight of the Esatto 4".smile.gif

• BruceNewEngland likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics