•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If you had a $5000.00 budget.

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#26 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

Esprit 120 / CEM 40

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0758-2.jpg

• John Turley, shortonjr and Jethro7 like this

#27 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

You were too quick for me.

My next refractor (if there is one) is the NP127.  

I don’t think there is a finer visual refractor for the kind of wide-field deep sky refractoring that I enjoy.

The TV 127 NEW  is $7,000. The poster has a budget of $5,000.

Bob

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:18 AM

I am not sure about that.  I've never been impressed with any of the TV127's I have looked through, either casually or for longer periods of critical viewing.  I think I would choose either a a TSA120 or a used TEC140ED.

The TSA is really good and it will ride on the same mount that you would use for a 4" telescope.  I use one on a Vixen GP and a GM8.  I doubt you would notice the 7mm diff in aperture between the TV127 and the TSA120.  And, I am betting the TSA120 will have the better optical figure.  

The TEC140 would be bumping up against the $$$ limit, but maybe you could kick in a little extra and find a motivated seller.  

What were you observing?

The planet's and double stars or the stuff refractors do best?

Jon

#29 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:55 AM

The TV 127 NEW  is $7,000. The poster has a budget of $5,000.

Bob

Sure. True for many of the scopes mentioned in this thread.

But the NP 127 is frequently available used for under $5000.

#30 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

What were you observing?

The planet's and double stars or the stuff refractors do best?

Hi Jon.   Stars.  Star testing.  Double Pass evaluations on a bench.  Planets a few times they were available.  No double stars other then Albireo and the double/double.  Double stars are generally poor arbiters of optical quality.  I did have a very nice filtered view of NGC7000 (N.A. Nebula).  But this was low power wide field - not very challenging for a 5" lens.

I want to stay clear of a debate vis-a-vis which objects are better in a refractor (as opposed to a Newt) nor do I want to get into specifics about optical quality.  But, I will be very specific in saying that for the cost, I would expected a little better from an NP127.  I prioritize optical quality over wide-field, low power viewing.  And, I will never take a photograph through a refractor (unless its on my bench) so that feature inherent in the Nagler-Petzvals is lost on me.

I read - with great interest - all of your pursuits with the NP101.  I have owned several - the best being serial #1049.  It was a magnificent telescope.  High power, no problem; wide fields, yessir.  Great bench test.  I sold it to a gentleman, who lived in San Diego.  I would purchase it back in a second.  I've stopped trying because I was told "no" and my ego was taking a hit.  Its been about 12 years since I last asked...  Maybe time to try again?  lol.gif

The night vision thing is appealing, but I have no practical experience.  I am just a visual guy using Newts, refractors and a single 11" SCT to try to get the best views I can with the limited nights I can observe.   

I do know that optically the TSA120 and TEC140 seem to be better then the NP127.

Edited by peleuba, 12 October 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#31 spkerer

spkerer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:11 AM

Hello CNers,

If you had a $5000.00 budget for a Refractor what would you buy? This would be for visual only and Night Vison Astronomy. I usually buy one high end ticket piece of Astro Gear a year and would like some Thoughts on this. I already own a couple of nice four inch Refractors  a AT102ED and a Altair Starwave Ascent 102 ED  F/1122 and I have a AT72 ED11 on the way. What would you buy?  

THANK YOU EVERYONE AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

I'd ask you a few questions...

Is there something that you would like to do that you feel you cannot do with your current equipment?

Are you looking for something to fill a specific need/purpose (for example, in answer to the question above) or are you more looking for something to provide something different from what you have - expand the collection with something different/complementary)?

• Jethro7 likes this

#32 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

I want to stay clear of a debate vis-a-vis which objects are better in a refractor (as opposed to a Newt) nor do I want to get into specifics about optical quality.  But, I will be very specific in saying that for the cost, I would expected a little better from an NP127.  I prioritize optical quality over wide-field, low power viewing.  And, I will never take a photograph through a refractor (unless its on my bench) so that feature the inherent Nagler-Petzvals is lost on me.

I read - with great interest - all of your pursuits with the NP101.  I have owned several - the best being serial #1049.  It was a magnificent telescope.  High power, no problem; wide fields, yessir.  Great bench test.  I sold it to a gentleman, who lived in San Diego.  I would purchase it back in a second.  I've stopped trying because I was told "no" and my ego was taking a hit.  Its been about 12 years since I last asked...  Maybe time to try again?  lol.gif

Paul:

I'm not reluctant to discuss my thoughts on which objects are better in refractors versus larger aperture scopes.  

As far as the NP-127, I think you're paying for that F/5.2 focal ratio and flat field. Both are useful for night vision and photography. I don't see the NP-127 or the NP-101 as reasonable choices for those not interested in low power, wide field stuff, that's what you're paying for.

I also think the NP-101 makes more sense than the 127 since offers a wider field of view.  I think of scopes as having a niche, a role.  

Jon

• turtle86 and Voyager 3 like this

#33 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

Taking into account of both my current equipment and my physical condition, I would select the following setup:

Takahashi FC-100DC

Tube rings and rail

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ5 Pro

Baader Zeiss-spec Prism Clicklock

Celestron PowerTank 17 Amp-hour

+ CA state tax and some gas for my car...

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 12 October 2020 - 11:18 AM.

• 25585 and Jethro7 like this

#34 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:49 AM

Personally, I'd do the used TEC 140ED in a heart beat.  And you should not have any problems finding a nice sample for your $5K.  You just need to be a little patient and/or go on the prowl by placing a "wanted" ad.

And once you use that FT focuser, you will be spoiled for life.  Your G11 is a perfect match up for it too.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• 140ED A.jpg
  • TEC 140 ED.jpg
  • On G11.jpg

• Scott in NC, DeanS, 3 i Guy and 9 others like this

#35 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

It’s the requirement for high power lunar and planetary visual use along with speed for NV that requires high quality, triplet optics – and they cost money.

If the poster were to just concentrate on NV use with a refractor, the 120 or 150mm F5 achromats from Synta would work well for NV use and they both can be reduced even faster, and they are a lot less expensive than the apos.

I use a 102mm F5 achromat (with Pass and Ha filters) with NV and it is really nice for that "specific" use.

If used is an option, and lunar/planetary is a priority, any F6, F7, F7.5 apo triplet with very high quality optics (TEC, AP, TAK, CFF etc.) in the 120 to 140mm size would work really well – if you can find one for your budget.

Below are my 102mm F5 achromat and Tak TSA 120 with the NVD Micro image intensifier in the diagonal.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2983.jpg
  • IMG_31012.jpg

Edited by bobhen, 12 October 2020 - 11:02 AM.

• peleuba, 25585 and Jethro7 like this

#36 laedco58

laedco58

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesnowda

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:09 AM

A roll off roof observatory for the telescopes I already have.

• Wildetelescope, The Luckster and Jethro7 like this

#37 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

I'm not reluctant to discuss my thoughts on which objects are better in refractors versus larger aperture scopes.  

Hi Jon - Yes, I know you're willing.  It's me - and, not because I don't agree or find the conversation, on a certain level, stimulating.  Rather, it about priorities.  I prioritize optical quality over most other things.  

For $5k in a refractor, you can get better optics then what is in an NP127.  This is an opinion, but one that is backed by practical experience as I have personally seen it.  

Really, though, with $5k, I'd purchase a Portaball-8 and a Tom O. tracking platform - but this is THE Refractor Forum so I thought a TSA120 or a used TEC140 would be more appropriate.

I also think the NP-101 makes more sense than the 127 since offers a wider field of view.  I think of scopes as having a niche, a role.  

My first NP101 (serial #1049) was equally good at low power, wide-field as well as planetary magnifications.  It was a mistake to sell; I've never been able to capture it's optical goodness in another NP101 after three tries...  

#38 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:14 AM

Is there something that you would like to do that you feel you cannot do with your current equipment?

This is a key question.

Personally, to get more out of your night vision, a used TEC110FL is a neat option because you can get an adapter to pair it with the 0.75x reducer. It will be more than $5000 as people begin to appreciate the travel readiness of the design some more.

To get more out of your night vision, a light bucket light a dobsonian is better and you already have 4” scopes. I think a 6” will be a better upgrade. If you can save for another year, that may make more sense. A used TEC160ED for example.

Last, for pure solar system visual astronomy, I would strongly consider the Questar 3.5. It is more grab and go that even a TV-76 but it is a very specific instrument for planets and the moon.
  • SpaceX likes this

#39 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

Personally, I'd do the used TEC 140ED in a heart beat.  And you should not have any problems finding a nice sample for your $5K.  You just need to be a little patient and/or go on the prowl by placing a "wanted" ad.

And once you use that FT focuser, you will be spoiled for life.  Your G11 is a perfect match up for it too.

Jeff

That’s what I did a little over a year ago, and am very happy with my choice.

• peleuba, 3 i Guy, RAKing and 3 others like this

#40 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

If I had that many refractors, I would donate the $5000 to some one who will never be able to get a scope like these, like me.

#41 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:08 PM

If I had that many refractors, I would donate the $5000 to some one who will never be able to get a scope like these, like me.

I thought you had a Celestron C102F?  This is a terrific telescope.   Do you still have it?

#42 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

Were you referring to me?  Or to the OP?

#43 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

Hello CNers,

If you had a $5000.00 budget for a Refractor what would you buy? This would be for visual only and Night Vison Astronomy. I usually buy one high end ticket piece of Astro Gear a year and would like some Thoughts on this. I already own a couple of nice four inch Refractors  a AT102ED and a Altair Starwave Ascent 102 ED  F/1122 and I have a AT72 ED11 on the way. What would you buy?  

THANK YOU EVERYONE AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

I got a 152 mm F9 Pre-ED AP Triplet.   A bit different choice than most, but I am something of a collector(although I use my scopes!) and I like to have a bit of history associated with the scope and/or its design.   Sure there are options with better color correction, but I have found no reason to complain about the optics to date.  It is the only refractor with which I have been able to see dust trails in the Andromeda Galaxy from my back yard through an eyepiece!  Wonderful contrast!  Probably not most people's cup of tea, but it works for me.

JMD

• BigC and Jethro7 like this

#44 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:29 PM

Are you looking for something to fill a specific need/purpose (for example, in answer to the question above) or are you more looking for something to provide something different from what you have - expand the collection with something different/complementary)?

Hello, Spkerer 

The simple answer is Yes.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#45 ewave

ewave

Vanguard

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

+1 on the Tak TSA-120 and use the spare change towards a nice alt-az mount, a nice EP, or a used C8 edge OTA for more eye candy. lol.gif

• 25585 and Jethro7 like this

#46 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:34 PM

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

The TEC 140 ED is one scope the keeps coming up.

Some one referred to the,TEC 140ED as the perfect scope.

Thank you and KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• BKBrown likes this

#47 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:11 PM

I've been thinkin a 6 inch rich field scope would be cool. 

#48 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 12 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

If I had $5000.00, I'd put it in the bank!! I've had high end, mid priced and everything in between!!  I'm done buying scopes at this stage of life!! I'm quite content and happy with my SW 72mm f5.8 apochromat!! It's time to save for that "rainey day" fund!!

Edited by barbie, 12 October 2020 - 03:10 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, lcaldero, laedco58 and 1 other like this

#49 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

A Takahashi TSA-120.

Me too. If I could be sure my Vixen GPD2 or My Vixen Sphinx could handle it I would be tempted to get a TEC 140.

#50 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

Me too. If I could be sure my Vixen GPD2 or My Vixen Sphinx could handle it I would be tempted to get a TEC 140.

I have not used a GPD2 (or Sphynx) but have used my GM8/Berlebach Planet with a friends TEC140ED.  It worked out well.  I think the weak points of the two mounts you mentioned are the tripod.  A good tripod goes a long way in stability.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics