•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Mars View Renderer!

charts planet planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

I revised the text file in post #23.

My WIMP programs use much of Jean Meeus’ equations except my programs were re-written and computer coded in the rigorous VSOP87D methods.  I first found the VSOP equations in a program called “NeoEphemerix 2001,” on the web site, “Planet Source Code,” and "VSOP87 Functions used to Compute Planetary Positions," web site “FreeVBcode.com,” both written by Jay Tanner.  These extensive programs contain thousands of lines of computer code and would have taken years to type into my PC; however, Jay included the entire program listings in his articles, so it was easy to gleam (cut and paste) all this necessary code to augment my computer coding for the WimpVSOP series.  WinJUPOS programs use similar methods and in the case of the CM’s for Jupiter both are within 0.1 degrees, so that’s good enough for me.

Edited by Jeff B1, 22 October 2020 - 09:44 AM.

#27 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

I made massive updates this weekend!  Check out the tool again.

• Added fine-scale labels based on this wonderfully detailed map by Daniel Macháček.
  • Added point-of-interest pins and linked information from Google Mars.
  • Changed from "trackball controls" to more intuitive "orbit controls" which keeps Mars' polar axis centered in the vertical plane.
  • Added an "about" overlay page with credits.  I plan to add a table to the about page showing sources for every base map.
  • Added a status indicator.
  • Added selectable coordinate frame axis display (blue = north, red = zero lat/lon coordinate)
  • Added north-up selector

Behold!

mars_viewer_valles_marineris_zoom_out.jpg

mars_viewer_valles_marineris_zoom_in.jpg

Also I posted a demo on youtube.

• Jeffrey C. and BFaucett like this

#28 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:12 AM

More updates:

• Added a search feature!
  • Improved point-of-interest information display
  • Fixed longitude coords to match strange IAU convention (west positive)
  • Added lat/lon callout when pins are disabled
  • Recompiled fine labels image (still can't load on iphone or older laptop with crappy GPU)
  • Refactored point-of-interest pins as png-based sprites instead of canvas, to work around an ios bug

• Jeffrey C. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: charts, planet, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics