•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power backup for RoR observatory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

I have just completed a backyard RoR with motorized roof (Aleko AR2750) controlled by SkyRoof and SkyAlert. There is an observatory computer that connects via USB to SkyRoof box and the SkyAlert box is connected via ethernet cable to a WiFi bridge. 

After a significant recent blackout, I studied the SkyAlert last moments before it lost power and adjusted wind speed settings. However, I'd like to have the ability for SkyRoof to close shop in the event of a blackout that cuts off the weather station. I am thinking of two separate backup systems, one for the roof motor and one for the observatory computer. I am not concerned with continuing to image through a blackout, I just want to ensure the safety of the equipment. 

What are my options especially for the roof motor? I have a 1kW power inverter and I could connect it to a deep-cycle battery with a smart charger. For the computer, I imagine a UPS system like this one would allow me to connect all the critical equipment:

https://www.amazon.c...BKHBP05ZBY13D0Q

Any advice you may have is very appreciated.

--Luca 

#2 ian408

ian408

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:55 PM

For the computer, if you're using a APC battery backup, you should be able to plug the computer in to it and use that to trigger a shutdown. 

For the roof, it's a gate opener and a the battery backup option should work for you. 

Maybe something like this

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:11 AM

I have just completed a backyard RoR with motorized roof (Aleko AR2750) controlled by SkyRoof and SkyAlert. There is an observatory computer that connects via USB to SkyRoof box and the SkyAlert box is connected via ethernet cable to a WiFi bridge. 

After a significant recent blackout, I studied the SkyAlert last moments before it lost power and adjusted wind speed settings. However, I'd like to have the ability for SkyRoof to close shop in the event of a blackout that cuts off the weather station. I am thinking of two separate backup systems, one for the roof motor and one for the observatory computer. I am not concerned with continuing to image through a blackout, I just want to ensure the safety of the equipment. 

What are my options especially for the roof motor? I have a 1kW power inverter and I could connect it to a deep-cycle battery with a smart charger. For the computer, I imagine a UPS system like this one would allow me to connect all the critical equipment:

https://www.amazon.c...BKHBP05ZBY13D0Q

Any advice you may have is very appreciated.

--Luca 

I used a 1500 VA UPS in my ROR. I was using a garage door opener... probably different power demands.  But, it could open and close at least twice on a full charge if that helps. I currently own a Powerwerx 80 ah LiFE battery that would easily handle opening and closing a roof. Bonus is if you take your gear somewhere you could use it as a remote power source too.  

#4 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:05 PM

Thank you both for the responses. I have ordered a 1500VA UPS and I will test if it has enough juice to close the roof. It should because the motor is rated at 500W and takes 20 seconds or so to open the roof. Jim at Interactive Astronomy recommended the same UPS. 

I have a large LiFE battery and a 1kW inverter, so I could go that route as well but I prefer a sealed solution not to have exposed cables carrying 60A DC.

• Raginar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics