•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone pre order an AT 125 EDL ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sipster

sipster

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pa. U.S.A

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:25 PM

I have been considering the AT 125 EDL as possibly my next refractor. I got the email from Astronomics  that some have arrived. I would love to read some reviews on this scope. Anyone order one? If so, anyone willing to post a review?

#2 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

They haven't even gone out yet so you are not going to find any reviews. Yours will have the honor of being one of the first, because Astronomics always does a good job on their AT scope I suspect you will be impressed with it's build quality and views when it has arrived and gets first light. 

• BruceNewEngland likes this

#3 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:20 AM

I have been considering the AT 125 EDL as possibly my next refractor. I got the email from Astronomics  that some have arrived. I would love to read some reviews on this scope. Anyone order one? If so, anyone willing to post a review?

Are you sure that Astronomics has received the AT125EDL?  The Astronomics website states that delivery is expected in January 2021. 

Thank you!

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

I agree -  the emails that I have received from Astronomics indicate that the current shipment of AT scopes that is expected soon does NOT include the AT125EDL, or the AT102EDL or the AT92 in the shipment.

#5 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:33 PM

I agree -  the emails that I have received from Astronomics indicate that the current shipment of AT scopes that is expected soon does NOT include the AT125EDL, or the AT102EDL or the AT92 in the shipment.

Yes, I am interested in the 125, so I talked to Ken at Astronomics and he checked the inventory list.  The 125EDL is NOT on the next shipment.

Dom Q,

• sipster likes this

#6 jgbeall

jgbeall

Sputnik

• Loc: 34.4N 118.5W

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

I think the AT125EDL is going to be on my "next" list!!  laugh.gif 

• sipster and BFaucett like this

#7 sipster

sipster

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:38 AM

Are you sure that Astronomics has received the AT125EDL?  The Astronomics website states that delivery is expected in January 2021. 

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I just reread it and it said not on the shipment. Sorry to get you excited.

#8 sipster

sipster

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:42 AM

I think the AT125EDL is going to be on my "next" list!!  laugh.gif

Same here. But, I really want to read reviews before I spring for one.

• jgbeall likes this

#9 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:01 AM

I've been assuming that it's more or less the same as the German thing (and the Stellarview, and the Altair Astro).

Seems there might be some variations in focusers and possibly glass, but hard to say how much.

https://www.teleskop...-objective.html

https://www.altairas...cuser-454-p.asp

#10 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:07 AM

I've been assuming that it's more or less the same as the German thing (and the Stellarview, and the Altair Astro).

Seems there might be some variations in focusers and possibly glass, but hard to say how much.

https://www.teleskop...-objective.html

https://www.altairas...cuser-454-p.asp

Yeah, focusers are different and the Telescop and Altair versions use FPL53/lanthanum.  The AT uses FCD100/Lanthanum.

Dom Q.

#11 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:07 PM

I prefer the Altair Wave Series 125 EDF F7.8 APO with the 3.7 inch R&P Focuser.

I have that focuser on my APM-152 and it is very smooth when using my large 2" 100 deg eyepieces.

Too bad I like my SW-120ED so much or I'd already have one of those as my midsize scope.

..Ralph

#12 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:30 PM

I prefer the Altair Wave Series 125 EDF F7.8 APO with the 3.7 inch R&P Focuser.

The Altair site says something a little disturbing to me regarding this scope.  Wonder if it the same for Astronomics?  Just seems odd that they must adjust the spacing and centering of each and every lens and that many come in that do not pass and they swap elements!  Does not inspire confidence!  I was actually considering one of these but not so sure now.  Wonder if Astronomics can chime in on this issue.

Availability: These optics are modified to achieve a higher quality images. Both the lens element spacing and the centration are set up to get the best balance between colour aberration and the best possible star-test. This process takes time and we regularly reject lenses or combine them in different combinations. It is impossible to predict how long it will take to modify a particular batch of lenses to our standard because each lens is different. Rather than manage a "wait-list", we have a simple "first come first served" policy. https://www.altairas...cuser-454-p.asp

Edited by BillP, 17 October 2020 - 09:32 PM.

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like something Vic would describe as manufactured in house.  whistling.gif   grin.gif

Edited by mclewis1, 18 October 2020 - 12:25 PM.

• Phil Cowell, KevH, jeremiah2229 and 2 others like this

#14 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

The Altair site says something a little disturbing to me regarding this scope.  Wonder if it the same for Astronomics?  Just seems odd that they must adjust the spacing and centering of each and every lens and that many come in that do not pass and they swap elements!  Does not inspire confidence!  I was actually considering one of these but not so sure now.  Wonder if Astronomics can chime in on this issue.

Availability: These optics are modified to achieve a higher quality images. Both the lens element spacing and the centration are set up to get the best balance between colour aberration and the best possible star-test. This process takes time and we regularly reject lenses or combine them in different combinations. It is impossible to predict how long it will take to modify a particular batch of lenses to our standard because each lens is different. Rather than manage a "wait-list", we have a simple "first come first served" policy. https://www.altairas...cuser-454-p.asp

Not clear if it is an issue.  Is the element matching done at the factory, or does Altair inspect and reassemble (if necessary) each lens set after receipt from the manufacturer?  

When they say "we regularly reject lenses or combine them in different configurations," are they really doing that in the UK?  Besides being very time consuming, as they have said, it would require having a considerable stock of fully assembled scopes in house.  And how do you decide which scopes to disassemble (in order to find a better mating element) once you've discovered those that do not meet the testing standard?

Seems to me they are talking about what is done at the manufacturer's plant rather than in the UK.  Maybe when they say "we" they are referring to the manufacturer and themselves as customers?

Dom Q.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics