•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT115 EDT rotator O ring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnarayan

gnarayan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Champaign, IL

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

I got an AT115EDT straight from Astronomics in early Sept., but terrible weather and the semester starting up means I haven't gotten to use it much - once for first light with M31, and then again last night. I didn't use the camera rotator on M31, but did last night when working on the Horsehead and I noticed this cracked white plastic/spacer O ring:

UzaloSUm.jpg

It doesn't look like this affects rotator operation, but I don't want moisture getting in here. I'm also guessing this does nothing good for collimation, particularly as the standard flattener just slots into the 2" eyepiece adapter. Does anyone know a part number for this ring or where to order a replacement? It looks like a fairly standard Stellarvue part that's rebranded by a few different companies.

Thanks!

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:20 AM

You should definitely contact Astronomics. Their service after the sale is excellent and they are the ones best positioned to help.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, I'm almost certain you would be covered under warranty directly from Astonomics for replacement. They are very helpful.

#4 gnarayan

gnarayan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Champaign, IL

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:58 AM

Actually, looks like it was an easy fix, though I did get in touch with astronomics. I loosened the rotator a little using the bottom thumb screw, used a little needle from a sewing kit to push the ring in (not sure it was ever a full circle), turning the rotator as I went, and gently applying some inward pressure. At some point there was a nice satisfying thunk as the rotator system moved upwards and sat flush against the main focuser tube. Have to get out and image with it (and, of course, clouds), but I'm pretty sure this is how the focuser/rotator was assembled to begin with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics