•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Similar Scope to Esprit 120

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

Ok, just received word the Esprit 120 I have had on order since August is now pushed back to shipping 'possibly' end of October and frankly I've had enough.  Recommendations for a similar scope that I can use for astrophotography that I can search for that maybe someone has in stock.  Spending close to 10k on new equipment and cannot get anything in my hands for 8-12 weeks so far and ready to cancel everything and spend money on wood working equipment.

Is every **** product in this world made in China??????????????

Edited by njrusty, 13 October 2020 - 12:23 PM.

#2 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:41 PM

Ok, just received word the Esprit 120 I have had on order since August is now pushed back to shipping 'possibly' end of October and frankly I've had enough.  Recommendations for a similar scope that I can use for astrophotography that I can search for that maybe someone has in stock.  Spending close to 10k on new equipment and cannot get anything in my hands for 8-12 weeks so far and ready to cancel everything and spend money on wood working equipment.

Is every **** product in this world made in China??????????????

Takahashi TSA 120. The reducer gets it down to F5.6. You won't find better optics in the 120mm size. Much lighter than the Espirit 120 as well.

HERE is a link to Astronomics...they list the Tak TSA 120 as in stock.

Made in Japan, using Canon Optron optics, of course.

Bob

• eros312 and 25585 like this

#3 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:47 PM

Would love to go with the Takahashi but wife would shoot me for that.  I'm pretty much locked into the $3200 range (based on the Esprit 120).  Granted, waiting another 2 weeks is not that much but getting tired of constant delays.  Changed my mount order from CEM70G to Losmandy G11G.  CEM was order months ago and told was told shipping possibly Dec.  Canceled that and went with Losmandy but been 2 weeks and that still has not shipped.

• David I likes this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:06 PM

Would love to go with the Takahashi but wife would shoot me for that.  I'm pretty much locked into the $3200 range (based on the Esprit 120).  Granted, waiting another 2 weeks is not that much but getting tired of constant delays.  Changed my mount order from CEM70G to Losmandy G11G.  CEM was order months ago and told was told shipping possibly Dec.  Canceled that and went with Losmandy but been 2 weeks and that still has not shipped.

The Explore Scientific 127 FCD 100 F7 triplet 

The optics are not as good as the Tak and they may or may not be as good as the Espirit 120 but they are only around $2,200 and HighPoint Scientific has them listed as in stock.

If you are not familior with Telescope Service, they are located in Germany and offer a few refractors that will meet your requirements. HERE is a link. 

The above all have Chinese optics.

Bob 

Edited by bobhen, 13 October 2020 - 01:08 PM.

#5 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

I've not seen any visual differences betwen an Esprit 120 and a TSA-120 on anything Ive ever looked at through them. 

Its the eyepiece that will make the difference. Expensive telescopes owners tend to buy high quality eyepeices with their scopes, Televues or ES 100 deg eyepeices so naturally these scopes produce a more pleasing view.

With similar eyepeices, I have not seen any visual differences between a former TOA-130 Ive had, and a friends Orion EON 130 triplet during all night star parties, though the focuser on the Orion was much easier to use during ultra fine focusing.

...Ralph

Edited by aa6ww, 14 October 2020 - 12:19 PM.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#6 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:22 PM

https://www.teleskop...-Telescope.html

• mrsjeff and BallistaSlim like this

#7 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:46 PM

Wait, you will not regret it. I love mine.

#8 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

The Explore Scientific 127 FCD 100 F7 triplet 

The optics are not as good as the Tak and they may or may not be as good as the Espirit 120 but they are only around $2,200 and HighPoint Scientific has them listed as in stock.

If you are not familior with Telescope Service, they are located in Germany and offer a few refractors that will meet your requirements. HERE is a link. 

The above all have Chinese optics.

Bob 

I have used a ES127 and now have an Esprit 120. There was a big difference in my copies.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#9 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:16 PM

AT115EDT or TS115 - if you can't find one in stock they are often available used. They're an f/7 triplet and good quality at a bargain price.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics