•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fluid heads for big binos and BTs

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:29 PM

The Cartoni Focus 18 comes in two versions, one with +90 to -70 degree, the other other with +90 to -90 degree, the latter with a sliding base plate, which is more expensive. How are the angles defined? For  the night sky 0- 90 degree is sufficent, the sign plays no role, or do I miss something?

Thomas

I can only speak for Manfrotto video heads but when they spec "Vertical Tilt +90° to -70°", they mean the head will point downward 90° and upward 70°.  That's why for binocular use we need to turn them around 180° to orient them so they point our binoculars to zenith.

Rich

• ArsMachina likes this

#27 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:43 AM

The price is prohibitive.

But DIY https://www.cloudyni...i-and-encoders/

or take some ideas from add-on offered for virtual sets. So it would be possible but who would make it for me..

Some of the solutions by Tecnopoint are clever, like the Cartoni MK2 tilt=altitude pull rotating the axis with the encoder.

Don't forget you can always add 2 sensors and link them to SkySafari to realize Goto or pushto.

#28 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:47 AM

The Cartoni Focus 18 comes in two versions, one with +90 to -70 degree, the other other with +90 to -90 degree, the latter with a sliding base plate, which is more expensive. How are the angles defined? For  the night sky 0- 90 degree is sufficent, the sign plays no role, or do I miss something?

Thomas

First of all, Focus 18 is rubbish.

You can find 2 versions in some of their models. They are only different in the top plates. Go for ±9° if you intend to go astro.

#29 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:39 AM

Coming back to fluid heads for smaller BT's like the OP's BT70, can someone describe the practical differences between the Manfrotto N8 and N608?

The specs on Manfrotto's website read as if they are virtually identical products.

#30 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

First of all, Focus 18 is rubbish.

You can find 2 versions in some of their models. They are only different in the top plates. Go for ±9° if you intend to go astro.

Why is Cartoni Focus 18 rubbish, what would be a good, also rather lightweight alternative for 10-12 kg Bino?

Then, why +/- 90 degree for astro, I do not understand.

Many thanks

Thomas

#31 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

Coming back to fluid heads for smaller BT's like the OP's BT70, can someone describe the practical differences between the Manfrotto N8 and N608?

The specs on Manfrotto's website read as if they are virtually identical products.

Manfrotto changed the shape of the knobs a little cosmetically and now the viscous tension control knob turns clockwise to tighten instead of counter-clockwise which may be more intuitive.  They lowered the minimum operating temperature a few degrees as well.  Otherwise, no big deal for most users operationally.

• Mark9473 likes this

#32 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:11 AM

Why is Cartoni Focus 18 rubbish, what would be a good, also rather lightweight alternative for 10-12 kg Bino?

Many thanks

Thomas

I have listed its inferiority compared to a vinten, maily less precise. You cannot find a position where it does not fall off or bounce back in its entire range while drag fully off.
You don't want to use the head backward, do you? So just go for ±90°.

#33 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:13 AM

Many thanks

Thomas

A used vinten vision 100 or 11 is the answer.
  • CharlesStG and ArsMachina like this

#34 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:49 AM

I have listed its inferiority compared to a vinten, maily less precise. You cannot find a position where it does not fall off or bounce back in its entire range while drag fully off.
You don't want to use the head backward, do you? So just go for ±90°.

Thanks  a lot for your comments. So the Cartoni Focus 18 is not as good as the Focus 22 or 8?

#35 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

You probably missed the OConner:

https://www.videodat...ad-Package.html

Less weight, higher price :-)

I just got aware of an O'Connor 1030D, it seem to be similar to the 1040 but with slightly less payload, less weight, less expensive. Surprisingly I it is not listed on the O'Connor webpage but still availabe, at least in Europe. A good choice compared to Vinten 100 ( at the limit for 12 kg ?) or Cartoni Focus 18 or 22 ?

Thomas

Edited by ThomasM, 02 November 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#36 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

Hello Thomas,

when I understand range88 right he always prefers the Vinten heads over all other makers in any size.

I believe he has way more experience with fluidheads than all of us together, so I do trust his words and suggestions :-)

On the used market I see mainly Vinten heads, also the smaller ones.

Even I still can not test my Vinten under a right load I can say that the feel touch of it is extremely professional.

It is far away from a consumer product.

Jochen

• CharlesStG likes this

#37 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:04 PM

Even I still can not test my Vinten under a right load I can say that the feel touch of it is extremely professional.

It is far away from a consumer product.

I was thinking you should mount a medium sized keg of beer on the head and verify that it pours very smoothly into a mass.

• Moravianus and ArsMachina like this

#38 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 04 November 2020 - 08:33 PM

So I could not resist and will get a Vinten11 head for APM 120. How do you mount it on the tripod, can you remove the ball adapter ?

#39 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:37 PM

So I could not resist and will get a Vinten11 head for APM 120. How do you mount it on the tripod, can you remove the ball adapter ?

No, you cannot. You either buy a 100mm bowl adapter(like Manfrotto 325 or others), or buy a bowl tripod.

#40 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 05 November 2020 - 10:43 PM

Thank you for the pointer. The base looks small and maybe something more robust like here might give more stability.

I am getting the mount with this Vinten adapter which has a nice wide base but would necessitate manufacturing a custom adapter to join it with the tripod top.

#41 range88

range88

Apollo

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 November 2020 - 02:39 AM

Thank you for the pointer. The base looks small and maybe something more robust like here might give more stability.

I am getting the mount with this Vinten adapter which has a nice wide base but would necessitate manufacturing a custom adapter to join it with the tripod top.

The first link adapter won't give you stability.
I have no experience of the second one, but it looks good.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics