•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fluid heads for big binos and BTs

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

APM120 on Vinten11: with Tilt drag adjustment knob at max, I have found that when I turn the Balance knob to a very high level like 23, then the rig is usable even with a pair of APM 12.5mm which are heavy. (wondering if I shall release the knob after observing)

I am using the Leofoto LN-404C without any elevator (oh my back) and COG is elevated by the Starsense contraption with the phone (working well for push-to).

The Vinten11/tripod is lightweight compared to the DM-6&L bracket.

Still deliberating about Supermount with elevator under Vinten or the proven old route, Manfrotto161mk2b and fork.

#52 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:40 PM

I have the APM 150 and a Vinten Vision 30

I am extremely happy with this combination.

After exploring the head I am not using any friction at both axis, I am just working with the counterbalance spring adjustment and moving the center of gravity by moving the connection plate back and forward.

But I had to bring all my eyepieces to exactly the same weight to go this way.

The column and tripod were way harder to find and I had to make some faulty decisions to finally arrive.

Finally I ended up with that Column which is extremely good and smooth:

https://www.cloudyni...umn/?hl=+column

The tripod is an Elephant from Gerd Neumann, which is really rock solid but still lightweight and portable.

The combination of this tripod, the column and the Vinten Vision is the best I can imagine.

The bino feels like in Space without any weight.

I can move it with the tip of my nose in any direction.

There is no shaking even with the column fully elevated observing in zenith.

IMG 1109

IMG 1105

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 10 May 2021 - 03:42 PM.

• plyscope, Goodchild, SMark and 3 others like this

#53 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:09 PM

Very nice outfit Jochen.  Glad you got the Vinton Vision to work so well.  I never thought one could get the counterbalance well enough adjusted to work in all positions.

Stability is crucial for enjoyment of such an instrument.  I like my Berlebach Planet K70 on the homemade dolly with the APM fork now that I have the vertical balance about perfect.  It's probably not as stable as your outfit, but quite good for being as portable as it is.  Also I notice a bit of stickiness creeping into the vertical motion.  I may have misaligned the fork swing arm bearings slightly when I had it apart installing the Nexus DSC system.

Some day I may have to take the bino down and the fork apart again for a look and re-adjustment.

Clear Skies,

Rick

• ArsMachina likes this

#54 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2021 - 01:59 AM

Here is a video showing how smooth the head is.

No friction and stable in any position:

https://www.youtube....h?v=IomgqbvDEZA

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 11 May 2021 - 09:37 AM.

• osbourne one-nil, Grimnir, oldmanrick and 1 other like this

#55 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:19 AM

Jochen, that is very impressive!  Thanks for the video.

Rick

• ArsMachina likes this

#56 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

Yes, it is Rick.

Even I have it here in my house and am already somewhat used to it every very time I am using it again I am totally surprised how wonderfully smooth it is working.

It is magic :-)

Jochen

• oldmanrick likes this

#57 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 10 September 2021 - 09:01 PM

Starting with Range88's early recommendation for the Vinten Vision 8 for the APM 100, I began watching many of the following discussions about them. Obviously I have liked what I read about all Vinten heads mentioned. Not too long after that I added it to my eBay search list. A few months back I missed a really nice Vinten Vision 8 that was listed at a very low Buy-It-Now price. Then last week, I managed to snag a Vinten Vision 11 at an even better price. Received it today, and it looks to be in great condition. Most eBay offerings have really abused or ugly looking heads with questionable operating conditions. This one looks to have been well taken care of.

One question... The tripod that comes with the Vision 11 seems not as solid as it should be for Astronomy. What are your opinions regarding these original Vinten tripods? I have two 40+ lb. capacity Manfrotto tripods, and I would only need to get the 325 adapter to fit the head to them. What would you recommend? Thanx. 

Edited by SMark, 10 September 2021 - 09:03 PM.

#58 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:48 PM

One question... The tripod that comes with the Vision 11 seems not as solid as it should be for Astronomy. What are your opinions regarding these original Vinten tripods? I have two 40+ lb. capacity Manfrotto tripods, and I would only need to get the 325 adapter to fit the head to them. What would you recommend? Thanx. 

I have Vinten 11 for APM120 on Leofoto LN-404c light tripod. Works well up to 100x, jitter above. I will do the stabilization plate (for the front of the bino)  like used dcosmar here showed in his ad (attached)

I got the head only and have no experience with the Vinten tripod.

I did not like the Manfrotto 325 adapter and returned it to Amazon.

I am looking on 2 additional adapters

IKAN

Hi-hat riser on ebay

Edit:

anybody can recognize the brand of the plate ?

Attached Thumbnails

• bracket120.jpg

Edited by Moravianus, 12 September 2021 - 11:49 PM.

#59 SMark

SMark

Aurora

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:16 PM

That Hi-hat Riser on eBay looks good, but the IKAN looks to accommodate a 75mm bowl only. What did you not like about the Manfrotto 325?

#60 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

https://www.ebay.com...kMAAOSwQktf83-X

Stan

#61 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:31 AM

What did you not like about the Manfrotto 325?

Not enough massive and look on the bottom, the whole mass of the bino and mount is secured with one screw in a circle like 2" wide.

#62 range88

range88

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:55 AM

I don't recommend Manfrotto 325n adapter, I'd rather go with a stronger 100mm bowl tripod, but if you have no choice, make sure you lock it by knocking it with a rubber hammer. 

However the bowl of Vinten 100 and above can be removed, and easily change to a flat base with a custom made adapter.

#63 SMark

SMark

Aurora

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:49 AM

Okay thanks! I tend to prefer the crank (up/down) that my Manfrotto tripods provide. So I may try that 100mm Bowl Hi-Hat Riser on eBay. The Vinten tripod seems very adequate after spending an evening using it. It does torque a bit, but it's not that bad. I suppose it would be more of a deal if I was using powers over 100x though.

#64 SMark

SMark

Aurora

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:25 AM

I ordered the 100mm hi-hat riser adapter from China via eBay. It will probably take the better part of 3 weeks to arrive, but I'll make a report on it here after I get it.

#65 range88

range88

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Shanghai

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:34 AM

I don't recommend the hi-hat, either.

Not stable.

#66 SMark

SMark

Aurora

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:23 PM

My purposes aren’t that demanding. I’ll try it and report back. I could probably make do with the Vinten tripod, but I prefer the Manfrotto adjustable column. If this allows me to use the Manfrotto tripod, I should be happy.

#67 Rob Moore

Rob Moore

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:47 PM

I just got a Vinten Vision 11 today for my APM 100/90 ED and just can’t believe how nice it is.  So smooth with no backlash. Just amazing. 

• Moravianus, SMark and ArsMachina like this

#68 Rob Moore

Rob Moore

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

Here is the Vinten with CF tripod. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2F71A7DC-164D-4F87-9BCD-989BB806BFC7.jpeg

• SMark, ArsMachina and range88 like this

#69 SkyGo

SkyGo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for sharing. Very informative!

• Rob Moore likes this

#70 SkyGo

SkyGo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Thanks for sharing

I never go back to fork after using my first professional fluid head Focus HD for 100ed bino.

There is just no comparison, buy a proper used Vinten and you will know why.

I use my Cartoni Focus 22 for 150ed bino, no problem, all the way up and down to 90°.

#71 Rob Moore

Rob Moore

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 PM

The setting I use on the Vinten 11 with the APM 100/90 ED is a 7 and it’s just perfect.
  • ArsMachina likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics