•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

MARS 2020 - full 3D planet rotation (GIF) + short WinJupos tutorial

planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lukasz83

Lukasz83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Poland, Budy Dlutowskie

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Last night we had opposition of Mars - so it's good time to show effects of my small project from September 2020.

Unfortunately in Poland last two weeks were full of clouds frown.gif But I had a lot of nice data from Setpember and thanks to that data I was able to finish map of Mars surface (albedo surface map).

I used photos which I made 3, 8, 12, 15, 22 and 28th of Septmeber. This so broad time allow me to register whole planet surface when it was on high altitude with nice seeing conditions (sometimes with perfect seeing).

So I created different part of surface map using WinJupos and photos from that days (some tutorial how to do it will be below in that topic)

Then I connected all of this maps made, in equirectangular projection, to one and I packed it to WinJupos once more to create 3D simulation of planet rotation. Effect of this project you can see below - first GIF is standard animation and second one is made in 3D anaglif technique (you need to use red-cyan glasses to look on it, if you don't have it - you can use red and blue astronomic filters also smile.gif )

All photos made using Astrofaktoria Newton 350/1400 on NEQ-6 mount + ZWO ASI 178 MM-C camera with Baader RGB filters

BELOW LINKS - GIFS ARE TOO BIG TOO PLACE IT DIRECTLY

https://cdn.astrobin...294b4598f71.gif

https://cdn.astrobin...0ceba954212.gif

Below map which I mentioned before and which I created in WinJupos using my photos from September.

On next post I will describe how you can do this kind of animation by yourself.

Mapa Marsa 2020 v2.jpg

Edited by Lukasz83, 14 October 2020 - 07:22 AM.

• PrestonE, JMP, Deven Matlick and 50 others like this

#2 Lukasz83

Lukasz83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:13 AM

Ok, so how the proces of surface map creation looks like?
Well, it's not so complicated, but a little time consuming wink.gif

We need WinJupos software (it's free) and series of photos from different time which have all parts of Mars surface – it can be 5-6 photos or more. If mor, then better because it will be easier to compile final map. It's also important to have all photos with similar quality – then detail on your planet map will be also similar in all of the areas.

First step is to take your color photo of Mars and make measurement of it (option "Image Measurement" in WinJupos – screen below). You need to add time and hour of your photo and then in second step you need to adjust outline border to match it with your picture details. Then you can save it to *.ims file. Thans to that action program will know which part of Mars you registered on your photo.
You need to repeat this process to all of your photos which you want to use to create surface map.

wj1.jpg

In next step we are going to tab "Analysis/Map Computation" and we are loading our measurement file in upper window. Below in small window named „Map File” you need to load photo which you used to preapre measure file (it need to be exactly the same file). Rest of parameters which need to be set up – you can find it on below screenshot. Please set up map size and please be carefull to have same size of map for all of the maps which you'll create (in my case it was 1500px in lenght)

wj2.jpg

Then you need to clik „Compute Map” and you have one piece of your surface map ready smile.gif Now you need to repeat this map preparation for all of the pictures you have.

2020-09-08-0152.0_MAP.jpg

When you have all of your maps prepared – it can be 4-5 maps or even 10-11 in best case. Then you need to put it together in Photoshop – just to create on full map of planet surface. Of course if more carefull you'll do it then smoother map you will receive in the final, so take care about map pieces conectionns especially.

When we connect all of the map pieces and when we are happy of the result, then we need to cut out the map (remove descriptions and data around, you need only clear map) and we are coming back to WinJupos again to tab "Tools/Ephemerides" and in sub-tab "options"  in field "texture image" we are loading our map.

From that moment – in tab "Graphics" we will be able to see rotating planet in differnet dates and different hours – we are free to choose to observe planet and we have full simulation of rotation also, exactly like I posted above.

And that's it smile.gif

If you'll have some more detailed questions I'm happy to answer smile.gif

Edited by Lukasz83, 14 October 2020 - 07:14 AM.

• PrestonE, Mike Phillips, eros312 and 9 others like this

#3 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

This is astoundingly cool! you're taking amateur astronomy to another lever here, amazing.

#4 alvarete

alvarete

Messenger

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

What a beauty!
Txs for sharing it

#5 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

Mars looks stunning! Thanks for sharing.

#6 windowpane

windowpane

Explorer 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

Incredible work! Congratulations on a very successful project!. Bardzo, bardzo ciekawe..

#7 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing!  Really, this is next-level.  

In particular the consistency of the frames quality from day to day is fantastic.  Even paying attention very closely, I can't spot the transition points. Nicely done!

I am working on a Mars 360 project (though my source is not as high quality) but I never thought about a map projection!  I am definitely going to do that.  I also want to do annotations of the surface.

For processing your animation frames, do you crop the globe "rind" out?

Also if I read correctly you do not use an ADC. I have heard mixed answers about whether and ADC improves mono imaging.  Do you have an opinion about ADC for Mars and for mono planetary imaging in general?

--Ryan

#8 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

This quality really is astounding. Congratulations on a great result!
Cheers Paul

#9 Lukasz83

Lukasz83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:07 PM

This is amazing, thank you so much for sharing!  Really, this is next-level.  

In particular the consistency of the frames quality from day to day is fantastic.  Even paying attention very closely, I can't spot the transition points. Nicely done!

I am working on a Mars 360 project (though my source is not as high quality) but I never thought about a map projection!  I am definitely going to do that.  I also want to do annotations of the surface.

For processing your animation frames, do you crop the globe "rind" out?

Also if I read correctly you do not use an ADC. I have heard mixed answers about whether and ADC improves mono imaging.  Do you have an opinion about ADC for Mars and for mono planetary imaging in general?

--Ryan

Thanks Ryan and all in this topic for all of the good words smile.gif

We had really good seeing in September in Poland and I only chosed best photos for map - that's why quality of each part of photo is similar (however there are some differences - Valles MArineris region is very nice but Syrtis Major was registered during a little worse conditions)

I made map with annotations also - but still I'm improving it - below some "work in progress" version

mapy opis.jpg

Acording processing of animation - when you have your surface map, and you'll upload it to WinJupos then you have full animation. You can then record it with any recording program and create as many subframes as you want. You can try it WinJupos with some pre-defined map which is avaiable in this maps and you'll recognize how it works then smile.gif

What do you mean - crop the globe "rind" out? I don't get it smile.gif

In topic of ADC - I used it some time ago with color camera and it worked nicely, but I didn't see significant impact for mono cameras. And because it was difficult to set up I simply gave up using it. It's much easy without it and with altitude of planet above 40-45 degress it's not create significant added value.

Edited by Lukasz83, 14 October 2020 - 01:10 PM.

• Deven Matlick, vilchez and JohnEEvans like this

#10 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:41 PM

What do you mean - crop the globe "rind" out? I don't get it smile.gif

In topic of ADC - I used it some time ago with color camera and it worked nicely, but I didn't see significant impact for mono cameras. And because it was difficult to set up I simply gave up using it. It's much easy without it and with altitude of planet above 40-45 degress it's not create significant added value.

Ohhh. I get it.  I had been making my animations using PIPP and animating by stitching actual individual frames together. My individual frames have some rind effects around the edges of the planet.  I see your planet edge is super clean.  If I understand correctly, what you have done is take the source (the ~10 sharpened/processed frames), create the map projection, then use WinJupos to make the animation.  I thought you were just using WinJupos to make the map (sorry read it too quickly the first time)

I did not even know about this technique so double-triple thank you!

Btw, how many source images did you use for your maps?  you said 10-11 is ideal.  Is that what you used?

--Ryan

#11 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:53 PM

Congratulations. The GIF animation is really nice to watch. That would have taken a real effort. The quality is very consistent across the globe & it is presented at a nice scale.

• Mike Phillips likes this

#12 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

This is stunning!! Amazing work!

#13 Lukasz83

Lukasz83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:11 PM

If I understand correctly, what you have done is take the source (the ~10 sharpened/processed frames), create the map projection, then use WinJupos to make the animation.  I thought you were just using WinJupos to make the map (sorry read it too quickly the first time)

Yes, this is how the workflow look like :)

I used 9 photos to create full surface map.

#14 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

fantastic work , thanks .

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:40 PM

Nice work - I'm not a fan of WJ's "skin" map animations, but you've done & good job on that (channel misalignment on the 2nd gif link) but an even better job of the maps! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#16 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:26 AM

Fantastic results Lukasz. :bow: Your effort paid off. :waytogo: Thank you for sharing details of your process also.

Roberto

#17 gregghallinan

gregghallinan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

This is incredible! Well done!!

#18 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:40 PM

Hey can I add your map to my Mars View Renderer?  I'll need to manually register it to an official elevation map, i.e. re-wrapping to put zero at center, then puppet warping to nudge features slightly as needed.  If interested, please send me a link to a full-res png or tif.  I will add a credits page this weekend and will credit you there.

I have on my to-do list adding a feature to let users load their own equirectangular maps, so anyone can do this on the fly!

Thanks

#19 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

It looks like you can project multiple images in one consolidated projection, rather than projecting one image at a time and blending in Photoshop.  Have you tried that?

Excellent work, by the way :)

#20 JohnEEvans

JohnEEvans

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gower, Swansea

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:09 AM

Excellent!

#21 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:56 AM

Outstanding work and thanks a lot for sharing the information!

#22 Lukasz83

Lukasz83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:11 AM

Hey can I add your map to my Mars View Renderer?  I'll need to manually register it to an official elevation map, i.e. re-wrapping to put zero at center, then puppet warping to nudge features slightly as needed.  If interested, please send me a link to a full-res png or tif.  I will add a credits page this weekend and will credit you there.

I have on my to-do list adding a feature to let users load their own equirectangular maps, so anyone can do this on the fly!

Thanks

Hi, sorry for late response - I had weekend off smile.gif

Yes, you can add the map to view renderer.

Here you can find highest resolution which I shared

https://www.astrobin...4cx1/0/?nc=user

Edited by Lukasz83, 19 October 2020 - 02:11 AM.

#23 rkinnett

rkinnett

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:17 AM

Thanks!  Looks great!

https://rkinnett.github.io/mars/

Attached Thumbnails

• mars_view_sujka_map.jpg

Edited by rkinnett, 19 October 2020 - 04:17 AM.

• Lukasz83, Foc and ryanha like this

#24 Lukasz83

Lukasz83

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:09 PM

Thanks!  Looks great!

https://rkinnett.github.io/mars/

Yes, nice indeed :) Good job!

• rkinnett likes this

#25 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:49 AM

Lukasz83, I took the liberty to add your excellent animation to the Observing the Planet Mars -- Chapter 3 -- THE POLAR REGIONS OF MARS in the "MARTIAN SOUTH POLAR CAP PERIPHERY" section; hope you don't mind. See:  https://dustymars.ne...ing_Mars_3.html

Your GIF demonstrates the offset better than my images in figure 3-13.  If you object I will remove it. 

Jeff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics