•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggestions for an Upgrade to Nikon Sport Extreme 10X50

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 allalone

allalone

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:16 AM

Hi everyone!

I’ve been using my Nikon Action Extreme 10X50, which I picked up following a forum discussion here, for two years now. I love it, it is easy to use, not too bulky and I got to learn some stuff. Now I think it is the time I upgraded to something more powerful, and I don’t mind a heavier replacement or an item to be used on a tripod as long as it is around $200 and that is a real upgrade to the Action Extreme 10X50. Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:34 AM

Hi allalone,

I'm pleased you enjoy using your Nikon Action Extreme 10x50.

I wish you well, but unfortunately in this case, I suspect there may be, lurking in the shadows, little devils in the details about the phrases "more powerful",  "real upgrade" and "as long as it is around $200" all in the same sentence which may make the search a bit tougher than it appears.

One possible exception that springs to mind ( providing you can get along with it's narrow filed of view ) would be a Pentax 20x60.

Good luck!

Kenny

• Rich V., hallelujah, allalone and 1 other like this

#3 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:39 AM

Oberwerk deluxe? $280...

https://oberwerk.com...15x70mm-deluxe/

Not as good quality, but worth a try if you are budget limited: https://oberwerk.com...ght-binoculars/   $130...

Good luck,

Dean

• sevenofnine and allalone like this

#4 allalone

allalone

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:44 AM

Hi allalone,

I'm pleased you enjoy using your Nikon Action Extreme 10x50.

I wish you well, but unfortunately in this case, I suspect there may be, lurking in the shadows, little devils in the details about the phrases "more powerful",  "real upgrade" and "as long as it is around $200" all in the same sentence which may make the search a bit tougher than it appears.

One possible exception that springs to mind ( providing you can get along with it's narrow filed of view ) would be a Pentax 20x60.

Good luck!

Kenny

I know the search options are tight, that is why I turned to the forum for tips. At the end of the day I might be convinced that, for example, I have to wait till I get a better budge. I'll check the Pentax, thank you.

#5 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Ranger 4

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

I have had the Pentax 20x60 for about a year now, and I think it's great value for the money: very good optics, fairly rugged construction, etc.

However, I would not consider it for use as your "main line" bino for cruising the night skies.  As Kenny points out, it has a very narrow TFOV at 2.2 degrees and the AFOV is around the mid-forties.  The TFOV is ok for the magnification, but requires a fair amount of star-hopping to find things.  But the narrow AFOV takes some getting used to and the 3mm exit pupil means the views can sometimes be dim.  I most often use it to zero in on specific objects for a close-up view after panning around with a wider field unit.  You can use it handheld for short periods if seated in a zero-g chair (an additional expense), but it really shines on a mount (another expense!).

All that said, I think a 15x70 will really open up your viewing experience, either mounted or handheld while seated.  Although the Oberwerk 15x70 LW fits your budget, you are likely better off saving up another $100 to get the 15x70 Deluxe. Both these models have been commented on in this CN forum, and are worthwhile reading up on.  I have the Ultra model, but it's a heavy spud, is more expensive, and is best used on a decent mount.

• Jon Isaacs, allalone and DeanD like this

#6 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

15x70 binoculars are a good upgrade from 10x50's. Rugged build means more weight though. I'm an Oberwerk fan but the 20x80 Deluxe that I bought were just too much weight for me. Even on a solid H/D Manfrotto tripod they didn't get used much. I bought a pair of the 15x70 LW's on a whim because of the low price and haven't regretted it (yet). The views are similar and on the Oberwerk monopod they are very easy to use. Even hand held. You just have to treat them more carefully...

• allalone and DeanD like this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:18 AM

I think 15x70s are good companions to 10x50s. I wouldn't call it an upgrade, rather I'd call them complementary.  

I have the Orion Resolux's, same as the Oberwerk Ultras.  They're plenty good enough for me. The Deluxes are lighter and have center focus.. still quite robust from what I know. The LWs are closely related to the Celestron Skymasters, not a good thing..

Jon

• allalone likes this

#8 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:16 AM

.... go big or go smaller... eg https://www.cloudyni...ate-sky-roamer/ different tools show different things, depends on your skies and what you’re looking to observe.

Peter
  • allalone likes this

#9 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:08 PM

Mike Swain on this forum gave the "new version" of Oberwerk's 15x70 LW a "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!" You might want to check it out.The review is in the Best of Binocular Forum...
  • allalone likes this

#10 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:54 AM

Yes, I clearly remember my old "virtual friend" Mike Swaim ( not Swain! ) alias "lighttrap" singing the praises of his Oberwerk LW 15x70.

Mike was a highly respected binoculars and spotting scope enthusiast here, so I can only presume the sample he happened to have was perfectly aligned.

Mike was the first binocular enthusiast I was aware of who displayed no fear or shame in effectively declaring the then "almost sacred"  Fujinon FMTSX 16x70 as being quite a poor tool for daytime use, and that was without even mentioning the very short eye - relief, lack of nose relief or inconvenience of the individual focus arrangement.

There were far few options available back then in the 15x70 / 16x70 arena than there are now.

I was saddened when Mike rode off into the sunset about 15 years ago, never to be heard from since.

Kenny

• Rich V. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics