•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic scope reduction

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:24 AM

A big dob is a possibility.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#27 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:44 AM

Selling is hard to do.  I find it much easier to buy.  Only probem is finding room for all the purchases.    I also, hate shipping things.  Not sure why that is.  

• GreyDay, Defenderslideguitar, Alanvogt and 2 others like this

#28 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:29 PM

After seeing the 16" Lightspeed over in classified I think I'd be looking

for a 12.5" Lightspeed. 

It makes everything I own look like clamchipped K-Mart toys.

Robert

• Alanvogt likes this

#29 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:18 PM

Gary   good thread it explains a lot as well

Maybe it is just me but when someone starts selling stuff , one item after another, you hope all is well with them if you  Know what I mean.   It is prudent, one thinks, at some point to pare down extra infrequently used scopes. I am sure     that may happen to me someday  but today is not that day. I have been more selective  and I like the "one comes in one goes out" strategy Terra taught me..... Was going well and I fell back a bit. Agree with others  that you could consider some kind of 8 to 10 inch scope. I thought  a  C 9.25 xlt was for sale here 3 days ago  btw....I recently got my first   starter Dob     an almost new  Orion 8 inch and it is very easy to manage for only 150 bucks locally. I could go for a 10 inch really but there is that car issue for the guy who drives an 18 year old sedan and a 38 year old Datsun 280z

You mentioned outreach and I have been considering an easy 4 inch that is not an expensive one  I say I regret selling the C-102  I had         but glad the new owner loves it..... so I picked up another one locally to help someone out and it is a win win for both of us.

One more thing     selling is harder as noted in post 27 above  but Chuck once suggested another option   giving some stuff away  .....I gave away a 60mm scope scope for an 8 year old   and DMala's s Sans and Streiffe 60mm to a teenager

Great you are thinning the collection for the positive  reasons. Good show.

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 16 October 2020 - 02:37 PM.

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 4 others like this

#30 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:58 PM

One more thing     selling is harder as noted in post 27 above  but Chuck once suggested another option   giving some stuff away  .....I gave away a 60mm scope scope for an 8 year old   and DMala's s Sans and Streiffe 60mm to a teenager

That’s wonderful way of thinning things out. I’ve given several scopes, mounts, and other items to the Cincinnati Observatory for their outreach and educational programs as well as gifting some of my telescope-poor friends and family with instruments.

Edited by Terra Nova, 16 October 2020 - 02:58 PM.

• oldmanastro, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#31 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

For the last year it's been none in, none out, so I'm at what I would call a plateau of 20 telescopes. Some would say I have too many of a similar size or type, but I love the differences in their designs and just enjoy having them.... at least for now.

I'll be 65 next month and hope to enjoy 'most' of them for perhaps another 5 years before seriously downsizing. I expect the fun of ownership of some of them will likely wear off sooner than later, so I'm not pressuring myself too much on making the decision of which ones are the first to go. One does need to go out right now and another two to six will likely be sold before then. Barring unforseen lifestyle changes, that's the rough plan for now.

• Terra Nova, Bonco2, oldmanastro and 3 others like this

#32 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

"when someone starts selling stuff , one item after another, you hope all is well with them"

Thanks for the thought, but all is good here.  I just wanted to thin the herd, and make room for a couple other things. lol.gif

I saw the 925 sct, but if I were to get one, I would buy that one new.  I had even thought about the 925 hd, but I think the 925 sct would be ok for me.

I am also thinking about the 8" f/12 Cass, that is sold by GSO, Orion, and Astro Tech.  I like have a good planetary scope.

I also want to see those faint fuzzies.  So, maybe I'll get a 12" dob.

I really waffling at this point, and since nothing is available to buy, I just be thinking of it all more.

I have given away 8 scopes over the last couple of years, with 3 of those recently. I even paid it forward on a Edmund mount I got for free. I gave it, and the pedestal,  away to another guy who was restoring a 6" Edmund reflector.

Edited by Garyth64, 16 October 2020 - 03:15 PM.

• Terra Nova, Augustus, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#33 Alanvogt

Alanvogt

Sputnik

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

I'm 63 and I've only been doing this for a little over 3 years and was at 15 scopes until a couple weeks ago. I just paired down by 3 that I just don't use.  Not ready to get rid of any classics yet so now my count is 6 classics and 6 modern scopes.  I donated a couple of cheap scopes to a local high school and put my 6" achromat up for sale.  I keep the modern scopes in a spare room upstairs and the classics stay in the family room:

family room.jpg

Edited by Alanvogt, 16 October 2020 - 04:36 PM.

• photiost, clamchip, mdowns and 7 others like this

#34 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

Some would say I have too many of a similar size or type, but I love the differences in their designs and just enjoy having them.... at least for now.

I have the same issue, i would like to slim down my collection but feel the same way about design and function with most of them. Some i'd like to keep for aesthetics and others for rarity but there are some that i'd consider surplus so maybe a "classic scope reduction" will be happening in the near future for me too.

• Kasmos, Defenderslideguitar and Alanvogt like this

#35 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

Above is  a   lovely family photo

• Alanvogt likes this

#36 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

Yes an 8” does sound a lot more doable opposed to a 10”, as I’m just one year behind you Bill.

Thanks Charlie and Steve for the B-Day wishes.

Happy Birthday, Terra! Many happy returns of the day!
  • Mbinoc likes this

#37 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

I also plan to reduce / condense and eventually upgrade towards some keepers.

When I first started in the hobby I was finding a new scope about every other month. Most of mine are not collectable. I have just started now to make a active effort to reduce the size of my finds. (I still have not sold any complete ones). Just a few spare parts like a few mounts, and a Meade Electronic eyepiece.

I basically took the parts I needed most at the time from each find, and am starting to try and put together a few to get rid of the stuff I no longer need before it gets out of hand.

I have become much more selective in what I'm now eager to bring home, and am only tempted by upgrades.

I would like to get my hands on a "small lot" of decent low power .965 eyepieces, so I could either give away to friends children. or sell to strangers in-expensively (20$ or less), and provide the new owners with a experience that will not frustrate them.

I have been considering placing a order with "scopehead" for five 40mm .965 MA's. so I could provide at least one decent eye piece with each scope I plan to part ways with.

The ones I eventually give away, I will try and post some photos of the happy new owner, (Only If the parents agree). I know my sister has already asked the family to never post photos of her children, (so this may not even be possible).

I know at least three young kids (two boys / and one girl), through friends children that are at a age that they may enjoy a free telescope.

In the future when I give them away maybe I will ask if I could blur out the face as a condition.

Edited by Mbinoc, 17 October 2020 - 04:40 PM.

• tony_spina, Vesper818, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#38 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

Thank you my Friends! smile.gif

Better late than never: Happy birthday Terra! smile.gif 

Carlos 

• Terra Nova likes this

#39 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:56 PM

I would like to get my hands on a "small lot" of decent low power .965 eyepieces, so I could either give away to friends children. or sell to strangers in-expensively (20$ or less), and provide the new owners with a experience that will not frustrate them.

I have been considering placing a order with "scopehead" for five 40mm .965 MA's. so I could provide at least one decent eye piece with each scope I plan to part ways with.

Surplus shed sometimes has good ones. For real money (i.e., $40), OPT has 25mm Antares Plossls in stock in 0.965.

Chip W. 

#40 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:43 PM

A big dob is a possibility.

. . . little did I know.

So in thinking about a large light bucket, I started looking around at different companies selling a 12" reflector.  There weren't any in stock that I wanted, so I thought, that is a good thing. 

Three days ago on craigslist, up popped a 12" Hardin with a great price.  After 4 emails to the seller, I finally got a  reply today.  I thought I would be told that it had already sold.  I was told, nope, it was still available.  I was out the door ten minutes later.

12 in Hardin.jpg

When I first saw the ad, it reminded me of a guy I worked with at the Tech Center back about 2004.  He had a 12" Hardin.  I told Kathy, this might be Zeke's.

When I got the phone call from the seller, she gave me their address.  I said I knew the location and that it was a few miles north of the Tech Center, where I had worked.  She said her father worked at the Tech Center!  I said, is he Zeke?  She said, yes that's my father.

Just wow.

I also got several Astrola eyepieces in a large metal case., 9mm, 15mm, 25mm, and a 32mm 2".  I'm sure they're the economy ones.  There was also a Antares W70 25mm, and a 2x barlow.  All in excellent condition.

The scope has some dirt on the outside, but it will clean up nicely.  The mirror needs a cleaning, but otherwise it looks great.

Got my light bucket.

Edited by Garyth64, 22 October 2020 - 03:08 PM.

• clamchip, mdowns, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#41 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:08 PM

Great find    cool back story

10 inch      just what I was thinking in my first post in this thread

Congrats all around        look forward to progress and reports    nice going

"Sometimes  a scope finds you"

• Garyth64 likes this

#42 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

I've gotten rid of most of my scopes because I found that a large portion of my gear was just stuff that I thought I might need someday, or I had an urge to buy something and then used it out of guilt for not using it enough when I in fact had something more suitable on hand for what I wanted to do. The reality is that literally all of my observing currently can be done with just my 14.7" and Astroscan. The Coulter wasn't doing anything that the 14.7" can't do and the 14.7" has the bonus of being shorter, tracking, and accepting 2" eyepieces. The ETX was rarely necessary so I'm giving it to a high school student on Saturday. I don't need any SCTs. 

I technically share my 5" apo triplet with a friend, otherwise I would consider selling it. The 24" will take over for some of the more serious observing that the 14.7" does, and I could see myself getting another Tak if I ever fly somewhere interesting enough to bring a scope or the Astroscan's crack expands too much for it to be useful, but otherwise I really don't need more scopes. I'm on my way to having enough money for a minivan and I'd like to have a big enough savings account when I'm done with college that I can get my own place. 

Edited by Augustus, 22 October 2020 - 08:45 PM.

• Pete W, clamchip, Bonco2 and 2 others like this

#43 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:53 AM

It's getting crowded again in my little man cave:

crowded 2.jpg

I have an ATCO 80mm x 1200 coming today, and I'll pick up a Swift 839 on Saturday.

So much for downsizing before, I only made room for more!

There are some that I've collected that I will always keep, and a few that I will be letting go.

But, I do have more room in the garage, here's a shot from not too long ago:

crowded.jpg

Only thing out there now is my 6" f/10, a 12" f/5, some piers and tripods (plus a few scopes on the shelves).

• Vesper818, Pete W, clamchip and 7 others like this

#44 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

I've been naughty lately too, or should I say nutty?

IN, 4 in the past few months.

OUT, 1.

laugh.gif  

Edited by clamchip, 18 November 2020 - 10:56 AM.

• steve t and Garyth64 like this

#45 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

My she-shack is really emptying out! The Swift 839 will be going to a new home Saturday.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and Garyth64 like this

#46 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

I changed my addiction. I'm down to two telescopes now, but five pairs of binoculars after the three pairs I picked up on Monday.  Could have been worse, Monday's seller had at least 50 pairs of binoculars for sale that they inherited from an uncle. I resisted the temptation to make an offer for the whole lot.

• steve t, Terra Nova and John Higbee like this

#47 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:56 PM

I changed my addiction. I'm down to two telescopes now, but five pairs of binoculars after the three pairs I picked up on Monday.  Could have been worse, Monday's seller had at least 50 pairs of binoculars for sale that they inherited from an uncle. I resisted the temptation to make an offer for the whole lot.

I have eight pair of binos, but that’s okay. They store easily. (And I’m not buying anymore.)

• steve t, John Higbee and Senex Bibax like this

#48 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:00 PM

My she-shack is really emptying out! The Swift 839 will be going to a new home Saturday.

So much for my telescope reduction.  I just purchased Terra's Swift 839.  smile.gif  Very nice looking scope.

Thank you Terra.

My wife and I meet Terra in Ohio near the Neil Armstrong Museum.  We all had a nice conversation outside in the open air with our masks.

So now I have the trio of Swift scopes that I wanted.  The 831, 839, and 838.

I looked over at my stack of scopes, thinking which one or two will have to go.   Not one of them would look at me.

• steve t, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 4 others like this

#49 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

So much for my telescope reduction.  I just purchased Terra's Swift 839.  smile.gif  Very nice looking scope.

Thank you Terra.

My wife and I meet Terra in Ohio near the Neil Armstrong Museum.  We all had a nice conversation outside in the open air with our masks.

I looked over at my stack of scopes, thinking which one or two will have to go.   Not one of them would look at me.

waytogo.gif Terra's 839 was a great one to jump on!  IIRC, it's the lowest numbered known.

Hopefully I'll be restoring mine soon, so I'll probably have some questions for you and the other 839 owners.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Garyth64 like this

#50 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:49 PM

Thank you Terra.

Gary, it was pleasure meeting you and your wife. I’m so glad the Swift went to you. It completes your Swift AVA trio and I know it couldn’t have found a better home! Now I only have one more scope to re-home (Meade 395 OTA).

Edited by Terra Nova, 21 November 2020 - 07:37 PM.

• steve t, PawPaw and Garyth64 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics