•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Interface between APM fork mount and surveyor tripod

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nykaver

nykaver

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Danbury, CT

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

I have an incoming APM 100 with the APM fork mount.  I will start out with mounting it on my Bogen 3035 (or 3036, it has both numbers).  However I'm considering a wooden surveyor tripod and adjustable observing chair.  

Would the surveyor tripod be more stable than the Bogen (Bogen set to similar height, column retracted)?

Assuming the fork mount has a 3/8" female port for attachment to a photo tripod, what's available as an interface to use it on the 5/8" survey tripod stud?

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

While I like the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods, that fork and bino weight is already equal to the tripod's maximum capacity of 26#.  Certainly not ideal for best stability, even without using the column.  I would recommend a heavier tripod, whether a surveyor or a photo tripod.

If you get a surveyor tripod with the usual 5/8"-11 attachment, you'll need to cobble up something or purchase an adapter to 3/8"-16 such as this one:

https://www.engineer...od-Adapter.aspx

At $51. it's pretty pricy but they are difficult to find, it seems.

I believe the Oberwerk wooden surveyor-style tripod has a 3/8" stud option but the tripod is more expensive than many surveyor tripods.

Rich

• ihf likes this

#3 drt3d

drt3d

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:07 AM

There are cheap 5/8" to 3/8" adapters because 5/8" is a common size for microphone stands. Here is one example:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07ZFBP7TM/

(I just noticed that it is 5/8"-27 not sure it will work)

I have a tripod with 5/8" female end on one side and an adapter like this worked.

George

#4 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

A while ago I found an inexpensive and very tall surveyors tripod with elevated column, the STABILA BST-K-XL, 118 – 300cm (under USD 300 on German Amazon, the smaller siblings are also available in the US). Unfortunately the manufacturer is mum on the weight capabilities. It is made for laser measurement devices, which I think are lighter in weight than binos. The shipping weight of the Stabila is over 7kg, which sounds reasonably substantial. Any opinions?

#5 nykaver

nykaver

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Danbury, CT

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:03 AM

Thanks everyone.  Not sure either of those adapters is quite what I need.  I'll make one when the mount and tripod come in.  

Maybe there's a small market for these?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics