•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with Darks & Flats

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:36 PM

I'm also considering capturing some flats, but am still unclear on a couple of things:
1) Using a cooled camera, do I need to cool to the same temperature for flats as I do for darks?
2) I see that the image train needs to be left unaltered from the time the flats are taken until they are used. I usually remove my FR/Spacers/Camera and store them separately. So I'm guessing my only options are to either a) start storing my optical system intact or b) take new flats during the day before an evening that I'll be imaging.

Thoughts?
David

Hi David
As the gain is set to 0 and the exposures may be 10s of milliseconds, cooling not really needed

#27 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:28 PM

So I'm guessing my only options are to either a) start storing my optical system intact or b) take new flats during the day before an evening that I'll be imaging.

Since 'a' is not an option for me, how does one take flats with a daylight sky when you don't know what your exact focus point is going to be until it's dark enough to focus on a celestial object? I must be missing something obvious...

Edited by mikenoname, 22 October 2020 - 10:28 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics