•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Framing Utility with Exposure Simulation

astrophotography dslr dso imaging planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jschroedl

Jschroedl

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:23 PM

Hello, I have recently found the awesome website, https://telescopius.com/. I was wondering if there is another tool that I could use to see framing along with exposure simulation of the object brightness. Ideally I would like to be able to input my exposure time, ISO, and perhaps F-stop since I'm using a DSLR with a lens. Telescopius has a disclaimer that the brightness of the images in the framing utility doesn't necessarily match what you will see when imaging.

Thank you,

Joe Schroedl

Edited by Jschroedl, 15 October 2020 - 11:27 PM.

#2 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:28 AM

For basic framing ect I use Stellarium free software.  Various brightness settings etc, are just something you learn with more exposure.. tee hee. 

#3 BrendanC

BrendanC

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:56 AM

You could try looking through Astrobin. If you search for an object and your scope, you can see what other people have done, and they often provide details of the capture eg https://www.astrobin...h/?q=M42 130PDS

#4 BrendanC

BrendanC

Explorer 1

• -----

You could try looking through Astrobin. If you search for an object and your scope, you can see what other people have done, and they often provide details of the capture eg https://www.astrobin...h/?q=M42 130PDS

#5 BrendanC

BrendanC

Explorer 1

• -----

No idea why that double posted.

#6 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:06 AM

Exposure simulation is going to be hard - if not impossible. It depends on too many things, other than aperture, focal length, camera, filter(s) used. Sky darkness and seeing conditions being two main ones. Then there's read noise, gain/ISO, quality of optics. Simulating all these variables would require a massive amount of work.

Your best bet is, as stated above, taking a look in Astrobin, filtering by gear similar to yours and reading in the descriptions the details of acquisition (single sub exposure, total exposure time, Bortle zone, etc.).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, dso, imaging, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics