•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

W.O. FLT110 (Tec Triplet) or TAK FC100DZ ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:05 AM

I have a W.O FLT 110mm with the Oil spaced TEC triplet and a 3.5" FT focuser.  Its a great scope, not too heavy and optically excellent with a great star test and pinpoint stars visually.

Recently I've seen some rave reviews about the new TAK FC100DZ and I've been wandering.

I've never looked through a Tak, but I know it's a good optic.  OTOH, I will be loosing 10mm of aperture and the ultrafast cooling of the oil triplet (don't know how fast the TAK cools down and how good).

My main use is visual presently but I have plans for doing some AP and perhaps photometry in the near future.

Should I sell the 110 and buy the Tak  FC10DZ?

If you have ever looked through and/or used both fracs, your experience, comments and help in solving the dilemma would be greatly appreciated.help.gif

Edited by ASTERON, 16 October 2020 - 08:06 AM.

#2 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:54 AM

Your TEC FLT110 is special and it is a hard decision. I have a TEC110FL and was considering a new TEC110ED versus a used 110FL. The “APO110ED” is believed to use the same optics as the TEC version of the FLT. The WO uses a TEC lens cell but everything else including the flattener is a WO design.

Although WO calls it a FLT, it is not a CaF2 element. That is not a bad thing (see the TEC 140ED). At the time, Yuri said it would be very difficult to see the difference for visual astronomy but that for imaging the 110FL was better. The 110FL can support a 16803 sensor. The color correction is better on the FL. Yuri also said that the WO FLT was good enough to put the TEC name on it, but that it was built to a budget and did not compare to a true TEC scope which is built to a higher standard and a higher price. Reportedly the 110FL is not built to the same standard as the 140FL in part due to the fast focal ratio.

I have not used that particular Takahashi but I do have a FOA-60Q so I can say that I am a fan of all three brands (I have a Redcat and was one of the early Kickstarter backers)

The FC-100DZ is a modern CaF2 doublet with modern mating glass and a slow focal ratio. Both optics are rare enough that you probably won’t have anyone with direct experience on both, but I would expect the FC-100DZ to beat the WO FLT110 based upon color correction and reported Strehl and slower speed.

I don’t recall if the WO FLT used TEC coatings. I believe it did. The TEC coatings are generally thought to be superior.

For visual use, I think the Takahashi will have less false color particularly under stress tests of the lunar terminator. If you see any chromatic aberration with the WO FLT110 with lunar visual observation, the Tak will be better.

Fluorite has better thermal characteristics than glass and the Tak is a smaller doublet but is air spaced. I would still give the edge to the oil spaced triplet but it would likely be similar.

For imaging, f/ratio is key and here the WO FLT110 will be better.

I personally would not part from your WO FLT110 unless moving to another oil spaced triplet OR if you are annoyed by the slight bit of residual CA.

Save your money. When you get into astrophotography you will need it.
  • ASTERON likes this

#3 Star_Shooter

Star_Shooter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:18 PM

If your WO FLT 110 with TEC oil spaced lens has excellent optics, I would not sell and change to FC100dz.

FLT 110 is heavier but shorter than FC100dz, so portability is better with FLT. Plus the 3.5" FT focuser is definitely better than the stock Tak focuser, especially if you have imaging plan in your mind. 

Takahashi doublet cools down fast, but oil spaced triplet is not slow either. Should be very comparable.  Color correction wise don't see much advantage on the FC100 side, if there is some, probably due to the longer focal ratio.

FC100dz can be bought off the shelf, or with short wait time. 110 TEC oil spaced lens is not easy to find. I would wait until have a chance to compare them side by side, then make the decision.

Lei 

• ASTERON likes this

#4 Haydon

Haydon

Mariner 2

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

I haven’t used those particular scopes but I have experience with the TEC 110FL and the Tak 100DL.  Unless you are just wanting to mix it up and try something new, or there’s something you are unhappy with on the TEC, there’s not much to be gained going to the 100dz other than the slower focal ratio possibly being easier on some eyepieces, which may perform better when paired with a slower optic.  

#5 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

I have kind of a long term goal of ending up with a nice 110 to 120mm refractor. So I would say no.

• ASTERON likes this

#6 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:40 AM

Thank you Alan, Lei, Haydon and Ecolight for your advice,

You all said NO, confirming my gut feeling about this.  As I find the images produced by the 110 to be excellent ( at least my eyes cannot perceive any CA up to X200 magnification), I will keep the scope.

BTW, I have a TAK 1.6X focal extender.   I may try to couple it with the FLT110.  Do you think that such a combo will work ?

Would it improve the performance of the scope on planets and the moon ?

Thankswaytogo.gif

Edited by ASTERON, 17 October 2020 - 03:40 AM.

#7 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

Doesn’t hurt to try the 1.6x since you have it. I personally think the Vixen HR or Tak TOE eyepieces are your best bet for getting more planetary performance.
  • ASTERON likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics