•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Refractor for use with tripod.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:42 AM

Hello,
Recently they gave me a SW ED80 F / 7.5 refractor, it is a good refractor, but it is not enough for me to use it with a photographic tripod and Manfrotto 501 head ..., I have tried and tried it in one way and another, but I find it difficult otherwise Impossible because of its length, to be able to handle it comfortably without it giving me very annoying shakes and vibrations even at low magnification ... much to my regret I have to return it and change it for another of similar quality (ED or APO lens) but that can handle much better because I also want it for terrestrial observations not only astronomical, I would be happy to know your advice in case any of you can offer me any opinion ..
I know that there are quite a few refractor models, but it is one thing to see them in photographs and another, on top of a photographic tripod, is what happened to me with the SW ED80, I think it is too bulky for that purpose.
Very kind in advance.
Paul.

#2 BruceNewEngland

BruceNewEngland

Explorer 1

• Loc: New England, USA

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:01 AM

“Hello, Recently they gave me a SW ED80 F / 7.5 refractor...”

Curious who “they” are, maybe I could get to know them?

I’m sure you’ll get lots of good advice, but it seems to me that you may want consider keeping the scope, and getting a suitable mount and tripod.

Is that reasonable, or does it have something to do with being extremely portable, etc.?

Bruce

• havasman and vdog like this

#3 PKDfan

PKDfan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:04 AM

A photo tripod is useless for telescopes, get an az-5 or similiar,that ED80 is a fantastic scope. Maybe a SW 72ed? Gets good reviews too and is lighter than the 80. Really ditch the tripod!

Clear skies and Good seeing

#4 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:13 AM

I agree... keep the scope and get a better tripod/mount.  However, I don't agree that "a photo tripod is useless for telescopes."  I use photo tripods for everything... I have a Bogen 3011 with SV M1 head for lighter scopes up to about 8lbs and a Bogen 475 with SV M2 head for my heavier scopes up to about 18lbs.  I'm extremely happy with these two set ups... very lightweight for their capacity, fold up into a small portable package, set up very fast, and have extendable center columns to adjust EP height.  I'm not sure what tripod you are using, but you may just need a better mount head.  Fluid heads are not the best for astronomical use... pretty frustrating actually.  

• Bowlerhat likes this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:26 AM

It sounds like he wants an ultralight spotting scope for terrestrial more than an astronomical telescope. A short tube 80mm F5 achro is about the max for a photography tripod. Of course don’t expect it to be much good for astronomy...

If you want to do both, you probably want separate setups. It sounds nice to get one scope for terrestrial and astronomy. And it can work, but then you need the bigger scope on the beefier tripod, which is more to lug around for terrestrial. In asking for a scope that is light enough to go on a photo tripod but suitable for astronomy, it is like asking for a 40mpg daily commuter car that can haul a boat. You either need two vehicles, or you have to drive a truck as a daily commuter.

Have you ever tried using a photo tripod for astronomy? Not ideal. It can work, especially if you have a really good photo tripod. But generally not recommended.

Scott

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:29 AM

I agree... keep the scope and get a better tripod/mount. However, I don't agree that "a photo tripod is useless for telescopes." I use photo tripods for everything... I have a Bogen 3011 with SV M1 head for lighter scopes up to about 8lbs and a Bogen 475 with SV M2 head for my heavier scopes up to about 18lbs. I'm extremely happy with these two set ups... very lightweight for their capacity, fold up into a small portable package, set up very fast, and have extendable center columns to adjust EP height. I'm not sure what tripod you are using, but you may just need a better mount head. Fluid heads are not the best for astronomical use... pretty frustrating actually.

Exactly. Of course consider that his mount head for his photo tripod costs more than a suitable astronomical Alt az mount for the 80mm Apo.

Scott
  • LDW47 likes this

#7 randcpoll

randcpoll

Mariner 2

• Loc: New York

Posted 16 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

If you really want a scope for terrestrial use you should get a spotting scope. The Celestron Ultima series (80mm or smaller for your tripod) is good, and not too expensive, especially if you get one used.

#8 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:19 PM

Well, actually I already have an SCT 8 "telescope to do" serious astronomy ", in this case I am looking for a refractor smaller than an ED80 SW to be able to use it with my Manfrotto tripod and my Manfrotto 501 head, the ED80 is too bulky and long for this setup, I am interested that it can be used for quick astronomical observations, when I do not take the SCT out, but also for terrestrial observations, birds, using an image erector for this purpose. I have used some other spotting scope even with ED lenses, for terrestrial very well, but for astronomy the results have been very mediocre, the zoom that usually comes standard with them are usually very very mediocre, they do not provide large visual fields, they present a tunnel effect when observing the sky, in my opinion, to They do not convince me for these purposes.
I have also been able to use a small ultralight refractor, a replica of the AT60 APO lens and the image is very good ...... but up to certain magnification, at 50X in terrestrial it cries for light, I have thought of some small Maksutov but its narrow fields and mag. too high they make me stop thinking about them ..

By the way, a pleasure to read your comments !!
Cheers,
Paul.

#9 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

This mount will handle the ED80.  Very good price point

https://www.telescop...unt/p/10105.uts

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:10 PM

Paul, you've been here for a very long time so you can't be getting any younger. Get the Kowa TSN 883. The price only hurts once.

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:37 PM

Here’s the deal. Your photo tripod will be mediocre at best for astronomy. Any telescope small enough to ride on it will be mediocre at best for astronomy. If you are restricted to your current tripod, then a short tube 80 F5 will work on it. Personally it seems like you already have mediocre covered pretty well, but at least the ST 80 would be a great wide field scope. And mediocre at best for everything else.

Hey at least it’s cheap.

Scott

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:56 PM

Well, actually I already have an SCT 8 "telescope to do" serious astronomy ", in this case I am looking for a refractor smaller than an ED80 SW to be able to use it with my Manfrotto tripod and my Manfrotto 501 head, the ED80 is too bulky and long for this setup, I am interested that it can be used for quick astronomical observations, when I do not take the SCT out, but also for terrestrial observations, birds, using an image erector for this purpose. I have used some other spotting scope even with ED lenses, for terrestrial very well, but for astronomy the results have been very mediocre, the zoom that usually comes standard with them are usually very very mediocre, they do not provide large visual fields, they present a tunnel effect when observing the sky, in my opinion, to They do not convince me for these purposes.
I have also been able to use a small ultralight refractor, a replica of the AT60 APO lens and the image is very good ...... but up to certain magnification, at 50X in terrestrial it cries for light, I have thought of some small Maksutov but its narrow fields and mag. too high they make me stop thinking about them ..
By the way, a pleasure to read your comments !!
Cheers,
Paul.

You have done an excellent job of illustrating the impossibility of your situation. The 60mm Apo is small enough for your tripod but not big enough to capture enough light. The 80mm Apo can capture enough light but it’s too big for your tripod. No, there is not an 80mm Apo that is the size and weight of your 60mm Apo. You can get a cheap 80mm achro that is about the same size and weight. That would give you the light grasp and wide fields you seek. It won’t really be good for anything except low power though. But that is basically what you are boxing yourself into. If a better mount/tripod isn’t an option, and you require more than 60mm aperture, you are basically looking at a fast 80mm achro.

The size and weight of your 80mm Apo isn’t a problem. That’s just how big these things are. It isn’t like you got the jumbo version and there is a small petite one for photo tripods that you can trade it in for.

#13 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:57 PM

I couldn't handle a scope with the video panhead tbh, even if it's solid there's too much vibration on locking/unlocking, as well as sticky movements (on high mag).

So I just use better, proper mount instead.

60mm Asahi Sports vid (2)

Edited by Bowlerhat, 16 October 2020 - 09:57 PM.

#14 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

I don’t know anything about the mount you are using but I have replaced the head on an Orion Tritech II tripod with a Universal Astronomics Dwarf Star.  The combo handles the AT72ED2 with no issues.  The length of the AT72 is quite a bit shorter than the 80mm APOs so it would give you more light than the 60 but not have the bulk of the 80.  

Attached Thumbnails

• A489D3C9-14AE-45C4-979F-EF5F423306A6.jpeg

Edited by russell23, 16 October 2020 - 10:10 PM.

#15 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

I have a fairly heavy duty photo tripod/head combo. A Bogen 3050. I thought with it's high weight rating that it would be more stable with my SW 80ED. I guess if you are experienced and coordinated enough to view while never touching the scope or mount it would probably be great. And still probably ok for terrestrial if you're a klutz like me. But it seemed too shaky for astronomy. Luckily I got it used...and cheap.
And that's coming from a guy who's used to using a fairly long, heavy, and slightly under-mounted 6 inch f/8 achro.

A Porta II on a wooden surveyor's tripod would probably be perfect for the ED80....in my estimation.

I'll probably just put my 60mm spotting scope on the photo tripod.

Edited by Echolight, 16 October 2020 - 10:32 PM.

• LDW47 likes this

#16 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

Exactly. Of course consider that his mount head for his photo tripod costs more than a suitable astronomical Alt az mount for the 80mm Apo.

Scott

Right on !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics