•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kalimar 7x50

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:35 PM

Found a pair of "Kalimar" 7x50 for $20 ... seller says they are made in Japan.

Are these worth driving 2 hours roundtrip to pickup ?

#2 jefffed

jefffed

Vostok 1

• Loc: N.E. PA

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:00 PM

Kalimar's were lower quality imports. It won't have any modern lens coatings if any at all. $20 is inexpensive but add another $20 for gas at Canadian gas prices. BTW what is a litre going for now in Canada. I have family in Ottawa but haven't been up to see them since the Covid outbreak.

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:48 PM

Competent 7x50's (most are 7.1 deg FOV) are fairly common in classic binocs . If they are IF perhaps the drive might prove worthwhile, but as a buyer of perhaps a half dozen Kalimars, I'd likely pass. Outside of a 20x50 that was decidedly dim (no surprise there) and some 7x35 9 deg that were well beyond the point of a timely  repair, they have been serviceable. I have one pair of  8x40 8.5 deg kalimars that sit on the table ready for a quick look- that particular pair are VERY good even with the slightly etched (perma-hazey prism- still tack sharp at night). So there's a possibility that they can be average to good.     Good hunting...Pat

#4 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:52 PM

Thank you Jefffed and Pat for your replies.

..... gas here is about  $1 cdn a litre.

cheers 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics