•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrarium - free open-source planetarium for Windows

planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:56 PM

Hello everyone,

let me share my pet-project, Astrarium

It is a free and open source desktop planetarium software for Windows.

It allows to discover night sky as seen from any point on the Earth and any date and time instant. There are many celestial objects can be observed, from eight major planets to faintest stars, asteroids and comets, deep sky objects, satellites and more; you can predict astronomical phenomenae, like phases of the Moon, planetary conjunctions and oppositions, as well as to get detailed information about object ephemerides.

Source code is available on GitHub under MIT license.

I hope it will be interesting and helpful, and I will glad to hear any comments, suggestions and opinions.

I plan to evolve the app as best I can, that's why any request from astronomy amateurs will be valueable.

If you will found any bugs, please write in this topic or, if you have a GitHub account, feel free to create an issue or feature request there.

Some screen shots are below under the spoiler.

Thanks,

Alexander.

Spoiler

• jim kuhns, Steve Harris, Gostock and 1 other like this

#2 AstroPotamus

AstroPotamus

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!  Thanks for posting and thanks for programming!  I love innovation, and I love new ideas, so how is it different or better than the free Stellarium software which has been around for a decade or so?

Edited by astropotamus, 16 October 2020 - 03:06 PM.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:14 PM

Thanks and welcome to CN. I may give this a spin!

• AlexanderKrutov likes this

#4 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:42 PM

Great to have another open source option - thank you!

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:15 PM

I downloaded Astrarium to a windows machine, and installed the program. I set my location under options. However, I have a blank screen below "Map View Tools Options" menu. If  I search for anything, in the search box, the message "Nothing Found" appears. If move my cursor across the screen, I can see the RA and Dec change at the bottom of the screen, but nothing appears on the screen. It is completely blank. How do I get it to display anything?

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:17 PM

I should add that I have downloaded version 2020.10 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 Pro.

#7 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:25 AM

I have the same issue Errol has reported.

Black screen, no toolbar icons as per screen shots and search brings back nothing always.

I am keen to see this working.

Cheers

#8 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:28 AM

I downloaded Astrarium to a windows machine, and installed the program. I set my location under options. However, I have a blank screen below "Map View Tools Options" menu. If  I search for anything, in the search box, the message "Nothing Found" appears. If move my cursor across the screen, I can see the RA and Dec change at the bottom of the screen, but nothing appears on the screen. It is completely blank. How do I get it to display anything?

It's somethng really strange, seems that plugins were not loaded. Do you see any plugins info in the Options -> About -> Plugins window? Also could you please check the app folder. There should be 12 "Astrarium.Plugins.*.dll" near the executable file. Anyway, please send me a log file located at "C:\Users\<PC User name>\AppData\Roaming\Astrarium\Astrarium.log".

Thanks!

#9 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:29 AM

I have the same issue Errol has reported.

Black screen, no toolbar icons as per screen shots and search brings back nothing always.

I am keen to see this working.

Cheers

Please see my previous reply. Could you please do the same checks? 

Thanks.

#10 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:30 AM

It's somethng really strange, seems that plugins were not loaded. Do you see any plugins info in the Options -> About -> Plugins window? Also could you please check the app folder. There should be 12 "Astrarium.Plugins.*.dll" near the executable file. Anyway, please send me a log file located at "C:\Users\<PC User name>\AppData\Roaming\Astrarium\Astrarium.log".

Thanks!

Hi Alexander

No I do not see stuff in About Plugins. The plugin DLL's you mention seem to be there, see file listing below.

And I tried downloading stuff from Git and saw plugin stuff but it was all source (.cs) so figured it was useless (to me at least).

I will PM you the log.

Cheers

Astrarium.Algorithms.dll
Astrarium.exe
Astrarium.Plugins.BrightStars.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.Constellations.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.DeepSky.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.FOV.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.Grids.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.Horizon.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.MeasureTool.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.MilkyWay.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.MinorBodies.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.SolarSystem.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.Tracks.dll
Astrarium.Plugins.Tycho2.dll
Astrarium.Types.dll
Data
dir.txt
log4net.dll
Newtonsoft.Json.dll
Ninject.dll
OpenTK.dll
Plugins
System.ValueTuple.dll

Edited by philinbris, 17 October 2020 - 05:52 AM.

#11 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:52 AM

Hi all,

I found a temporary solution to get the program working.

You need to unblock the DLLs as per this image:

uba.jpg

You need to do it for all the DLLs.

I think its Windows security kicking in due to how the application has been distributed. I am sure Alexander will sort it out.

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 17 October 2020 - 05:53 AM.

#12 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:08 AM

philinbris,

thanks a lot for your help! You are right, the root cause is because Windows blocks DLL files. I'll prepare an update as soon as possible, and will make a patch or new distrib.

#13 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:09 AM

Alexander,

I like what you have done here.

It has some unique features especially the quality of the planets zoomed in and the mouse over effects.

I also like the astronomical phenomena.

Well done.

Any plans for telescope control?

It would be nice to zoom out a bit more to see the whole sky in the screen, currently it doesn't quite make it on my screen at least.

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 17 October 2020 - 06:21 AM.

#14 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:07 AM

Thanks!

Yep, I have found the 12 Astrarium.Plugins. I will try the temporary fix that worked for Phil of unblocking the DLLs and report back.

#15 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

Alexander,

I like what you have done here.

It has some unique features especially the quality of the planets zoomed in and the mouse over effects.

I also like the astronomical phenomena.

Well done.

Any plans for telescope control?

It would be nice to zoom out a bit more to see the whole sky in the screen, currently it doesn't quite make it on my screen at least.

Cheers

Phil, 

thanks for the positive response! It really motivates me to continue the development. Truly.

Yep, I plan to add telescope control via ASCOM at first (already have some drafts) in further versions. Second step is INDI (didn't played with it yet). Unfortunately I do not have a real equipment to test it, only software emulator. So I will be very glad if someone from the CN forum will be able to test it in real.

About zoom - now it limited with 180 degrees wide by the main window diagonal. Let me check what can be done.

Thanks again,

Alexander.

#16 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:24 AM

Yep, I have found the 12 Astrarium.Plugins. I will try the temporary fix that worked for Phil of unblocking the DLLs and report back.

I've already updated the binaries and made a new 2020.10.1 release with the fix. Here is a link. Also I've updated the link in the first message of the topic.

#17 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:31 AM

Okay, that seemed to do the trick. It seems to be working on my machine. I'm using it in Night Mode and my only initial comments are that the labels for Deep Sky Objects, constellations and stars are a bit faint for my eyes - the planet labels are fine. Also, it seems that when I start the program I have two option for size - full screen or a smaller default size. Is there a way to set the window size that will be persistent on the next start-up?

#18 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:32 AM

I've already updated the binaries and made a new 2020.10.1 release with the fix. Here is a link. Also I've updated the link in the first message of the topic.

Thanks I will download that version and test.

#19 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

Okay, I can confirm that 2020.10.1 has the fix for the DLLs. Thanks.

#20 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

Okay, that seemed to do the trick. It seems to be working on my machine. I'm using it in Night Mode and my only initial comments are that the labels for Deep Sky Objects, constellations and stars are a bit faint for my eyes - the planet labels are fine. Also, it seems that when I start the program I have two option for size - full screen or a smaller default size. Is there a way to set the window size that will be persistent on the next start-up?

I think colors in Night Mode should be adjustable as well as in default mode. Will add it to the my TODO list. Also a good notice about persisting window size. Hope I can do it in the next release.

#21 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:46 AM

Thanks, Alexander. Looking good. It is a great start, and I will definitely be very interested when you add telescope control via ASCOM - I find having a small directional keypad on the screen is very useful for telescope control. 

#22 philinbris

philinbris

Ranger 4

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:38 PM

All good Alexander.

2020.10.1 works fine when unzipped. Settings were retained and I see heaps more settings to play with as well.

Cheers

#23 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

I'll have to look at the extra settings in 2020.10.1 as I glossed over those once I knew it was working.

#24 daw316

daw316

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

Just downloaded.  Is azimuth zero =South?  If yes, can I set zero=North.  How can I update satellite data?

Enjoying it so far.  Thanks.

#25 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

Yes, zero azimuth is South, but I think it should be an option to measure it from North. Will add it to TODO list.

About updating satellite data. Are you asking about orbital elements of minor satellites of planets? If so, it should be an option "Autoupdate orbital elements of minor satellites" under "Planets" section in the application settings. The software will update orbital elements automatically if they are outdated.

Edited by AlexanderKrutov, 18 October 2020 - 10:54 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics