•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrarium - free open-source planetarium for Windows

planetarium software
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 daw316

daw316

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:48 PM

Got it. Thanks!

#27 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:34 AM

I'll have to look at the extra settings in 2020.10.1 as I glossed over those once I knew it was working.

I think they are just related to the plugins and were not available when the plugins had not loaded.

Cheers

#28 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:44 AM

I think they are just related to the plugins and were not available when the plugins had not loaded.

Cheers

Exactly. 

#29 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:19 AM

By the way, my anti-virus sofware (Bitdefender) is now flagging Astrarium.exe. I can manually tell Bitdefender to make an exception, but I suspect other ant-virus software may also not recognize Astrarium and label it as a potential threat.

#30 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:07 PM

My Bitdefender is up to date and it does not have any issues with Astaraium.

Interesting.

#31 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:16 PM

Thanks!

Just downloaded and looking forward to playing with it a little bit.  See...there is a reason the Moon comes out to spoil the dark.

#32 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

Hi everybody!

Just released a new version of my free and open-source planetarium Astrarium 2020.12.

You can download it from the project site or by direct link.

This version is distributed via web-installer, which downloads and installs only required components specified by user. As before, you can download all components manually from release page on GitHub. You should download main application package (Astrarium-*.zip) and any desired set of plugins packages (Astrarium.Plugins.*.zip). Then you need to extract all packages into one directory. It will be a portable version of the planetarium. 

Now about changes and new features.

- Telescope control via ASCOM platform
Unfortunalely I don't have a mount that supports ASCOM, only software emulator. So if you have appropriate hardware, please feel free to try it and inform me in case of any issues. Really appreciate for this.

- Field of View plugin: added "Scale to FOV" context menu item
It allows to set zoom level of the map according to selected FOV frame.

Field of View plugin: added "Copy" button to the list of FOV frames
Helps to create new FOV frames on a basis of existing ones.

- Adjustable fonts
You can change typeface and sizes for any font on the map.

- Adjustable colors in Night and White map modes
Now colors for these modes are also adjustable.

And a bit more:

- Main window size and position are persistable between app launches
- Ephemeris table can be sorted by any column
- Added setting "Measure azimuth from North"
- Updated orbital elements of asteroids and comets
- Some bugs fixed

Any opinions and feedback are valuable.
Clear skies!

Edited by AlexanderKrutov, 17 December 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#33 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:47 AM

Very nice Alexander,

On my computer (1920x1080) I cannot zoom out enough to see the whole horizon 360 degrees.

Is there a setting I am missing?

Cheers

#34 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2020 - 09:12 AM

Hi Phil,

there are no such setting unfortunately. Maximal FOV is limited by 180 degrees. I'm not sure wider FOVs are possible with projection formulae that used in the planeterium. Will check what can I do to extend the view angle.

#35 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:37 AM

Thanks Alexander

I cant even see the full 180 degrees - is that to be expected?

Also, I went to create a screen shot of my screen at max FOV, but Astrarium seems to be stuck at loading the ASCOM plugin. It was fine yesterday.

#36 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2020 - 08:51 AM

Actually yes, the FOV is measured by the window's diagonal, horizontally it's a bit lesser than 180 degrees.
Is it stucking on the splash screen stage, right? Could you please send me logs to direct messages. Should be there: "C:\Users\<PC User name>\AppData\Roaming\Astrarium\Astrarium.log".
Also try to remove *.json settings file located near the log.
And one more question: do you have ASCOM platform installed? If yes, what version do you have?

#37 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:46 PM

Hi Alexander,

I know what happened and I am perplexed why it happened.

When I installed the latest version, it failed to detect I already had a version at D:\Program Files\Astrarium (note D:) and wanted to install to C:\Program .....

So I changed to D:\Program Files\Astrarium and noted it then wanted to install to D:\Program Files\Astrarium\Astrarium (not double \Astrarium) - so I removed one of the \Astrarium (or at least thought I did) and let the program run on completion of installation and did my testing etc.

Today I ran from my desktop shortcut and noted the issues with ASCOM stalling. When you asked for the logs I first went to D:\Program Files\Astrarium and then immeadiatly noticed the second \Astrarium and of course it had the .exe file and if I run that all is OK (from ASCOM perspective).

The question is did I stuff up during install or is there an issue with the installer?

I note that the uninstall file is in D:\Program Files\Astrarium not D:\Program Files\Astrarium\Astrarium.

I will uninstall yesterdays and delete the D:\Program Files\Astrarium  and install the new version again so the uninstaller does not get confused.

ASCOM version is 6.5 (6.5.1.3174) in case you are still curious.

Regarding FOV - at max zoom out I only get 90 Degree FOV not 180. And I certainly cannot see East to West or North to South in the FOV.

Screenshot - 20_12_2020 , 7_41_36 AM.jpg

Other than this all is great.

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 19 December 2020 - 04:47 PM.

#38 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2020 - 05:01 PM

Hi again Alexander,

I don't think I am going mad. I did what I said above (removed Astrarium), installed fresh, this time changing the installer to D:\Program Files, the installer then added \Astrarium and now I have all the binaries, dlls, Data directory  etc installed to D:\Program Files\Astrarium\Astrarium.

Screenshot - 20_12_2020 , 7_56_39 AM.jpg

So a double directory name is happening - surely that's not intended.

Cheers

Phil

#39 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 December 2020 - 01:13 PM

Phil,
the directory structure can seem strange, but it is expected. It's due to limitations of the installer script that I use. Inner folder added to store downloaded binaries. Don't worry about that, I'm looking for the better solution, probably will be changed in the upcoming versions.

Regarging FOV - displaying 90 degrees seems like a bug, actually it's almost twice larger (try to use measure tool from context menu, but, again, largest FOV should be measured diagonally).

BR, Alexander.

#40 philinbris

philinbris

Viking 1

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Alexander.

No probs al all.

Have a happy Christmas.

Cheers

#41 kolsen

kolsen

Mariner 2

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:36 PM

Alexander,

I've installed and have been trying Astrarium and I really like it so far.  Thank you and keep up the great work.

• AlexanderKrutov likes this

#42 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

Alexander,

I've installed and have been trying Astrarium and I really like it so far.  Thank you and keep up the great work.

You are welcome, thank you for the feedback!

#43 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:05 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to announce that new Astarium 21.2 has been released!

The planetarium installer is available from the official site or by direct link.

A main feature of the new version is Eclipses plugin - a powerful and handy tool that helps to obtain comprehensive information about solar and lunar eclipses, upcoming ones as well as overpast. With this tool you can:

• Observe and investigate geographical map of an eclipse: with points of contacts, totality path and limiting curves of partial phases visibility. The map is interactive - you can immediately see local circumstances of the selected eclipse at the point of interest (where a mouse pointer is on the map). There are 4 map sources are supported: embedded offline, OpenStreetMap, Stamen Terrain, OpenTopoMap. 
  • See the general eclipse details: instants and points of contacts, type of an eclipse, saros series number, maximal magnitude, Besselian elements and etc.
  • List of all eclipses of current saros series, with ability to switch between eclipses from the list. List of saros series can be exported to CSV file.
  • Local circumstances. You can import list of cities from a CSV file with predefined format and instantly get info about local circumstances for each city. Also you can search cities located on the eclipse's totality path (works only for total, annular and hybrid solar eclipses).

Solar and lunar eclipses calculation is also integrated with "Astronomical phenomena" tool, so you will not miss such events.

Other features and changes in this version not so big but also helpful:

• Noumenia and epimenia events caculation: instants of first and last appearing of lunar crescent on evening and morning sky.
  • Some fixes of solar images downloading logic (sometimes the app was unable to download some images from SOHO website).
  • Added support of raw data on exporting tables.
  • Date and Time window UX enjacements.
  • Added extended settings to "Asteroids and Comets" plugin (now all minor bodies can be displayed regardless of the current map scale). Also object magnitude can be displayed near the object label.
  • After clicking on the date and time link in the "Phenomena" window, the map is positioned on an object the event is related to.
  • And other minor and inconspicuous fixes and enhancements.

Hope the new version will be helpful for anyone.

UPD: Some screenshots of the eclipses plugin are attached under the spoiler.

Spoiler

Clear skies,

Alexander.

Edited by AlexanderKrutov, 27 February 2021 - 09:22 AM.

• FlankerOneTwo likes this

#44 kolsen

kolsen

Mariner 2

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

Very nice Alexander!  I have been using Astarium to control my Mach1 and it works great.  I like how responsive it is and it's ease of use.  

One thing that would be a nice addition would be a unique line showing the Meridian.  The grid works but a unique color line would be nice.

Thanks for this great software.   :)

• AlexanderKrutov likes this

#45 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:49 AM

Very nice Alexander!  I have been using Astarium to control my Mach1 and it works great.  I like how responsive it is and it's ease of use.  

One thing that would be a nice addition would be a unique line showing the Meridian.  The grid works but a unique color line would be nice.

Thanks for this great software.   smile.gif

Hi Keith,

thank you so much for the feedback!

I've added meridian line feature to the ToDo list.

#46 AlexanderKrutov

AlexanderKrutov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:10 AM

Hello stargazers!

I'm happy to announce that new version of Astrarium 21.4 has been released.

You can download it:

Briefly, what's new in the new version:

New plugin "Jupiter Moons and GRS"

Most of us already know that this year we have a great opportunity to see one of the most interesting events in Jupiter's moons system: a new season of mutual phenomenae between four major moons will take place: mutual conjunctions, occultations, passages and eclipses.

The new plugin brings you a handy tool for prediction such phenomenae. Besides mutual events, the tool can provide detailed information about regular events between Juputer and its moons, like moons' eclipses by the planet and passages of shadows across the Jupiter disk.

Also, the plugin predict transit times for Great Red Spot (you have to set initial longitude and monthly drift for some), and instants for appearing/disappearing of the GRS from the planet disk.

All data can be exported to CSV files, as well as moons' positions chart can be saved as image.

See screens of the feature attached to this post.

Some other features and enhancements

• Map transformation settings - added mirror and reversed modes
  • Added option to display celestial meridian
  • Several bug fixes

Will be glad to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Spoiler

Edited by AlexanderKrutov, 21 April 2021 - 04:12 AM.

• gmiller123456 and astroserge like this

#47 kolsen

kolsen

Mariner 2

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:04 PM

Excellent job Alexander.  This is really looking great, I will be viewing Jupiter's moons this summer and this will help planning these events.  And thank you for putting in the meridian grid, it helps me with many imaging tools that I use. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics