•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it just me, or does the sky seem darker when there are lots of low clouds?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:15 AM

One thing I've noticed on those partly cloudy nights where the sky is mostly covered by fluffy, fast, low clouds, but where the transparency is still great, is that the space between the clouds seems much darker than the sky usually is. Am I the only one who has had this thought? My immediate assumption is that the contrast between bright clouds and the darker sky just makes it look darker, but it's just an illusion of the mind. My more optimistic interpretation is that low clouds block some light pollution from reaching higher up and scattering into the upper atmosphere, giving a slight reduction in skyglow. Is there anything to this?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:28 AM

Likely an optical illusion caused by contrast difference.  Never trust the brains visual system.

• endlessky, Kevin Thurman and packerman like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

It's you!  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif

Here when low cloud the street lights sort of illuminate it and it bounces back down.

Some of the dark moonless nights can be quite bright when cloud is around.

Edited by sg6, 17 October 2020 - 02:55 AM.

• Jim Waters and Kevin Thurman like this

#4 packerman

packerman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:58 AM

Think of your pupils and your brain always trying to compensate for light and dark to provide the greatest dynamic range at any given point in time based at where you're looking.  If there are no clouds then the sky will look brighter, if there are clouds it will look darker as the eyes will balance to the scenes range. There are actually a lot of optical illusions built on how the brain compensates around this.

A good example is here:

https://www.popularm...rast-explained/

• Kevin Thurman likes this

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:08 AM

Yeah... it's a convincing illusion. Under truly dark skies... the clouds look black (aka invisible) not brighter than the starry sky. I've often gotten fooled by that, because the only way you know a cloud is there is that the stars disappear!    Tom

• chrysalis and Kevin Thurman like this

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:18 AM

Like this >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 69 starry sky with clouds 60.jpg

• Illinois, chrysalis, Kevin Thurman and 1 other like this

#7 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:35 AM

I also agree with the illusion of contrast given by the surrounding cloudy (grey) areas making the dark ones look darker.

To me, the sky always looks darker when there's no clouds.

On top of that, there are those exceptionally clear, transparent nights - for example after a thunderstorm - where the sky looks so dark and clear that you feel you can almost touch the stars.

No cloud induced contrast illusion can beat that, to me.

#8 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:52 AM

It can be optical due to light pollution.  Basically, your pupils are going to be somewhat constricted.  Hence the sky between the clouds may appear darker than it is.  

Then again if conditions are right, those clouds might just be blocking a lot of the light pollution from reaching the upper atmosphere.   So though your pupils may a bit constricted and less able to take advantage of it, the upper atmosphere may actually be a little darker. 

Lastly, in the fall and winter, cold dry air coming over the Great Lakes kick up lake effect.   Conditions on such nights, if not causing too much overcast, can be very transparent and great for observing in between the clouds.  And now you know why I prefer go to and setting circles over star hopping.  

jd

#9 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:17 AM

Most replies are correct that the darker skies are simply the result of the visual reaction to contrast with the bright clouds. However, if the clouds are very low and unbroken over some intense urban light source like a city, it can darken the skies, as seen from a distance, considerably. The darkest skies that I have ever experienced from my rural home 75 miles north of NYC have been on occasions when that city was socked in by sea fog while my skies were clear.  The same occurs in the San Francisco Bay area when fog covers that city.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs, 17 October 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#10 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:26 AM

Same as above. The only exception is, if you are on a mountain that is clear, and a large area below is socked in by fog or very low clouds, it can darken your local sky considerably.  Otherwise, clouds reflect any nearby light pollution back at the ground, making the entire sky appear brighter.

• Stardust Dave and Kevin Thurman like this

#11 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

Most replies are correct that the darker skies are simply the result of the visual reaction to contrast with the bright clouds. However, if the clouds are very low and unbroken over some intense urban light source like a city, it can darken the skies, as seen from a distance, considerably. The darkest skies that I have ever experienced from my rural home 75 miles north of NYC have been on occasions when that city was socked in by sea fog while my skies were clear.  The same occurs in the San Francisco Bay area when fog covers that city.

BrooksObs

I experienced this at a darker site once. It was maybe a bortle 3ish place but there was a single glow from a town across a lake. One of the nights we were there there were clouds over that half of the lake and the glow was completely gone. Not just directly, but it didn't extend into the sky as much as it had before. I didn't notice much of a practical difference at the eyepiece or in my cameras, though, so I thought it was a similar illusion.

#12 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 17 October 2020 - 03:47 PM

Nice simulation, Tom.  That is how clouds look from here.

#13 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:08 PM

I have read that Mt. Wilson Observatory sometimes experiences a much darker than normal sky, when the city below is clouded in, and the mountain sticks up above.

#14 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:28 PM

My immediate assumption is that the contrast between bright clouds and the darker sky just makes it look darker ...

Funny, right up until I read this sentence, I was assuming you were talking about dark clouds making the sky even darker.

At my country home, high clouds are almost always brighter than the sky background, because they pick up light from the nearby cities. But low clouds are invariably darker than the sky background.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:45 PM

BrooksObs

This also happens in the mountains east of San Diego. The vast majority of the population lives relatively close to the ocean so when the marine layer rolls in at night, it blocks the urban light pollution.

Jon

#16 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:49 AM

Nice simulation, Tom.  That is how clouds look from here.

Thanks! Yes, Arizona has lotsa nice dark places. My sim catches the flavour, although in actual practice those abrupt cartoonish edges are rarely so distinct. I've often been at the eyepiece and wondering why the scope is either underperforming, just plain disappointing or the target is completely gone! So I look up at the sky and notice a whole chunk of sky has inexplicably gone blank... as if the stars just disappeared. Then (once again) I realize... "Oh!... a cloud must be there."

Of course, it's nice when the sky is that dark, so that clouds can sneak up like that --- ~Stealth Clouds~    Tom

#17 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

If there is clouds ... I can see the reflected orangish glow from the city due north and the sky changes into 2nd sunset but the sun has set and I hate the sky looking like this mad.gif .

#18 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

I live east of Albuquerque with a tall mountain range between us. About a third  of the western sky is blotted out by Albuquerque's uncontrolled light pollution. One night, low clouds covered the city but not my location ( a rare event). The  entire sky was much darker and we gained a whole magnitude on naked eye stars; including the western sky! But that has happened only once in twenty yearsfrown.gif

#19 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:15 PM

One thing I've noticed on those partly cloudy nights where the sky is mostly covered by fluffy, fast, low clouds, but where the transparency is still great, is that the space between the clouds seems much darker than the sky usually is. Am I the only one who has had this thought? My immediate assumption is that the contrast between bright clouds and the darker sky just makes it look darker, but it's just an illusion of the mind. My more optimistic interpretation is that low clouds block some light pollution from reaching higher up and scattering into the upper atmosphere, giving a slight reduction in skyglow. Is there anything to this?

Sounds very believable, since light from the ground is being blocked from reaching that area. But if it cuts out 2/3 of the light, that is just 1 rung of the Bortle scale.

#20 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

I recall one night several years ago observing in my north Raleigh, NC driveway under what passes as decent-for-the-suburbs dark-ish skies (good enough to see some brighter galaxies) when a very low bank of clouds (<1000 ft above ground) abruptly moved in. The effect was like someone turning up a dimmer switch as the clouds rapidly covered the sky, and the light very quickly transitioned to more the level of dusk on a cloudy day - all shadows disappeared.  I could articulately make out individual leaves in the shrubbery in my front yard, and I could have read larger, bolded print.  Before the clouds rolled in, transparency was very good - which meant that scattering from overall suburban light pollution was rather minimal, until the low clouds rolled in and began to reflect and scatter all that light in the cloud.

And then, after about 10 min, while I was packing stuff back in for the night (I'd given up on observing) - the cloud bank departed as swiftly as it had rolled in, and the "dimmer switch" effect ran in reverse.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics