•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars Finally! In the 8" and 102mm f11 & Shoutout to Daniel Mounsey

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ris242

ris242

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:16 AM

I finally got 2 clear nights to try out my scopes on Mars at a reasonable time 9pm and when its at its closest.

Being at 41' South I'm only getting it as high as 43 degrees and I'm generally looking at it at 20-25' in the East.

both nights clouds would just hover below Mars coming up, and then finally took over - clouding up the whole sky so I gave up at that point.

Both nights I didn't research what I should be seeing and which side of the Planet I was looking at......more on that in a moment.

Thursday night - 8" Edge - It was just far too bright and overpowering. Even light filtering.....it didn't do much.
I didn't get a lot of time here but the seeing was average/below average

Friday night - 102mm F11 - sadly I have it setup for bino.....so unfortunately I had the diagonal close to the focuser then a rather long extension running in mono so not the best setup for the test.
Much dimmer...... more contrast. Wow I think I'm actually seeing features.

So after recently watching  - 'Daniel Mounsey shares his experience of astronomy' on youtube - made way back in 2017

I experienced the scene first......then wanted to prove what I'd seen.

I was seeing a dark triangle at the centre of the planet with a 7mm delite @ 160x and even a bit more defined on the 11mm.

So I pulled out sky safari and yeah ...... that looks like it.

marsfriday.jpg

The clouds were coming and I wanted to grab it as a pic......
D750 with a APM 9mm attached. 1/40 second.
[I don't have a planetary stacking beast yet........one day. lol]
I'm visual and I had a breeze so all I'm saying is the Planet looked like Skysafari. Proved but I saw it first by eye. :)

mars.jpg

• peleuba, doctordub, Astrojensen and 9 others like this

#2 HarryRik9

HarryRik9

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

Nice photo. Try a Mars filter which improves detail and contrast. https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B000V01VB6

#3 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

"I was seeing a dark triangle at the centre of the planet..." Exactly what I saw when viewing Mars through my 100mm Sky Watcher ED. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics